Carry gun for farmer

This is a discussion on Carry gun for farmer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would opt for the Taurus Judge and load the first two in .410 and the remainder in .45. Should handle about anything that 'pops' ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carry gun for farmer

I would opt for the Taurus Judge and load the first two in .410 and the remainder in .45. Should handle about anything that 'pops' up, man or beast.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Hm. I'm not particularly interested in revolvers...nothing wrong with them tho...but this might be a good situation for one. A .357 that will also take .38 sp. (Or is it vice versa?)
    A .357 revolver will fire .38 special, which is what most people use for practice and at the range. However, do not try to fire a .357 cartridge in a .38 revolver.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    LOL

I checked out the thread because I tend to spend alot of time outside working on my rural property as well. I'm more worried about human predators however.

In my case, I'm out there in drizzling rain alot. Eventually, you do get wet thru.

So the Glock comments make some sense! They are unattracive but have the reputation for taking all sorts of abuse. My M&P, while handsomer ;-) also can take abuse but is large and heavy.

Maybe a (well-hidden) compact 9mm Glock? I have shot them before, but they fit my hand poorly.

Seriously, I'd like to open carry on my property....is there an affordable 9mm that works well wet?
    Depends on what you mean by affordable. CZ P-01 can be had for around $550. Built tough and accurate. See link:

CZ-USA -> CZ P-01 gets NATO approval. The next Generation of perfect pistols

I just turned 73 and recently retired from farming. When working out in the fields or going to town I carried the S & W 686+. Found it to be handy getting off and on machinery and I would to work with it strapped to my side. Never once had to use it. Great gun though.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

If bears are an issue (assuming black bears in your area) 4" barrel .44 mag.
    S@W or Ruger. If that don't suit you a .454 Casull or .480 Ruger, all wheelguns. There are bigger yet, if you like.

Distinguished Member
    I'd go ss 44 mag Ruger Redhawk with a scope and a half dozen speed loaders. And how about a auto shotgun in a 4 wheeler mounted scabbard as well.

Oh, did I say that I have a ss 44m rr for sale? Hey, it has a scope too.

Got a deal.....

Well, I bought a gun. And it wasn't at all what I expected. My local gun shop had a nice Sig Sauer P220 in .45acp at a great price. It fit my hand really well, and the price was right, so I bought it.
    I've decided, however, that whenever I'm way out there I'll be keeping my 12 gauge with slugs handy as well.
    Thanks for all the advice
    Jeff

Are you on a tractor or hands and knees? Why not a rifle? I would think that would make shooting a moving animal an easier task.

edit - just read your last post... 12ga is a good idea. Nice choice in the P220 though
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Seriously, I'd like to open carry on my property....is there an affordable 9mm that works well wet?
    Taurus 92 used for about $300 if you want large mag. Glock or XD for more money, but much lighter. I don't like Taurus polymers.

Ruger Blackhawk convertible 9mm/.357 revolver if you want light, rugged, and versatile.

getting kydex holster for the 92/Glock/XD is easy. revolver holster would not be rain-friendly, but suggest open end leather well oiled

glock 21 sf

I prefer to have my side folder AK handy. Plus it makes one heck of an ice breaker. Beats using an axe, just not so good if the cattle are spooky.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1981 View Post
    I'm trying to decide what to carry. Not only for defense against crazed humans, but against dogs, foxes, bears, etc. Size is not really an issue.
    I need something that's going to be solid, reliable, and powerful enough to handle Pennsylvania's wild animals that I might run into while walking the fields.

I've been thinking either a 1911 or a glock 30 in .45 acp- but am open to other thoughts. This will be a "working gun"- function and reliability are very important, as is accuracy, but the looks of the gun don't matter. It will get dirty, dusty, and scratched up, without a doubt.

Jeff
    You just described a .357 , 6-7 shot, 4" brrl revolver perfectly. When on the farm, that's what I carry all of the time, or in the woods, etc. .

Actually the .38 Special has proven effective against anything I've ever encountered here in Texas. We don't have any bears in my haunts though.

For daily wear "down on the farm" a 4-inch Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum, loaded with accurate, flat shooting, full power ammunition and worn on the belt would be great. A Model 27, Model 28, or some sort of L-Frame revolver if weight is less important. A 4-inch Model 19 or Model 66 if a little less weight is desired.

I'd want something with a better trigger than a Glock. Precise shot placement at longer distances is sometimes desirable and an accurate revolver with a crisp trigger is just what the doctor ordered.

1911 with a .460 rowland drop in kit--Priceless
    Support your local gun shop.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1981 View Post
    I'm trying to decide what to carry. Not only for defense against crazed humans, but against dogs, foxes, bears, etc. Size is not really an issue.
    I need something that's going to be solid, reliable, and powerful enough to handle Pennsylvania's wild animals that I might run into while walking the fields.

Jeff
    Hey Jeff, don't forget the big cats! :-) bobcats n mountain lions...not the two legged variety so much lol

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links