Carry gun for farmer

This is a discussion on Carry gun for farmer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The new Taurus Raging Judge. Not sure when they'll be out but they'll shoot 45lc, .454 casull, and .410 magnum shotshells. Covers anything from Bear ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carry gun for farmer

The new Taurus Raging Judge. Not sure when they'll be out but they'll shoot 45lc, .454 casull, and .410 magnum shotshells. Covers anything from Bear to snakes. I think they're normally a novellty gun but I know a lot of farmers out by my mom (Cumberland,VA) use them.

2. Remove Ads

As a confirmed Glockhead, I think you made a good choice with the Sig.

That and your 12 gauge should just about cover anything you might encounter on the farm.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

VIP Member
    Another vote for a wheelgun, a .357 or .44mag should do the trick. Regardless of what handgun you pick, I'd also carry a 12ga backup... Those should cover all your needs...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Ruger P 90 right now they are clearing these out relatively cheap.. $399-435 is normal thats new less used...built like a tank and reliable. Something you dont worry about banging up :)

Ruger P90 .45acp Blue for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $438.00

I've been thinking either a 1911 or a glock 30 in .45 acp- but am open to other thoughts. This will be a "working gun"- function and reliability are very important, as is accuracy, but the looks of the gun don't matter. It will get dirty, dusty, and scratched up, without a doubt.
    Sounds like a good fit for a Ruger P90.

I bought my glock 20 for farm carry, there is no reason not to carry a weapon that will dispatch anything from a cat that has eaten coyote poison to an angry cow trying to prevent you tagging her new calf to large predators attacking you or your livestock. The 10mm will do it all in 1 platform, it is kind of like the leatherman... it won't replace your tool box but it when you don't want to lug your collection around it will do the job!

Searn

I am a farmer. I probably carry a snub nose S&W Mod 60 357 mag more than anything. Anything else is a pain in the butt when climbing around under a square baler. Next in line would be Ruger GP 100 357 mag 4 inch. Today while breaking some land I carried a Glock 22. If am doing something where I get real grubby I don't like to carry an auto. When I carry something like my Glock 22, Colt 10MM or any other larger gun I carry IWB so I am not hanging up when getting on equiptment. The Judge would probably be about as good as choice as you could come up with. I just can't talk myself into buying one because I don't like the way they look.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

when I'm in bear country I carry a ruger sp101 3" .357 mag loaded with 180gr flat nose buffalo bore rounds.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    when I'm in bear country I carry a ruger sp101 3" .357 mag loaded with 180gr flat nose buffalo bore rounds.
    I am considering another revolver and looked at the SP101, and decided a GP100 - 4 " was a better choice for me, for the reasons / use being discussed here.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcslr View Post
    I bought my glock 20 for farm carry, there is no reason not to carry a weapon that will dispatch anything from a cat that has eaten coyote poison to an angry cow trying to prevent you tagging her new calf to large predators attacking you or your livestock. The 10mm will do it all in 1 platform, it is kind of like the leatherman... it won't replace your tool box but it when you don't want to lug your collection around it will do the job!

Searn

That could get expensive real quick. There is a very good reason not to have a sidearm on you if you are sorting/handling cattle. The temptation is too great.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerbyron View Post
    That could get expensive real quick. There is a very good reason not to have a sidearm on you if you are sorting/handling cattle. The temptation is too great.
    I agree with that. I make a point of putting it in the truck when I'm handling the animals in a pen. If I do need to put one down, I usually do it with a .22 to the head anyway.
    - Taurus Model 85 2" Ultra-Lite
    - SOG Flash II
    - Mini Mag Lite

kpw
    I'd just carry what you normally carry. Every time I see a big bear here in PA, he's seems to want to get away faster than I do. It's the younger guys that find me curious.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    Bears .44mag

Let me clairify

The situation that I was thinking of was one weekend about 2 years ago my Father-in-law noticed a new calf and went to tag it. When he approached it the heffer it belonged to knocked him over, planted her head into his chest and tried to crush him. I know that he was careless but none the less in that situation he would rather drop the critter instead of ending up in the hospital. But you are right it would get very expensive.

Searn

Have you looked at a Ruger Alaskan? Chamber in .44 magnum minimum. If the chance of bear was very good you could go for the same in 454 Casull...but then again, if the chance of bear was good I'd have a shottie with hard cast slugs or a rifle chambered in H&H .375

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links