Carry gun for farmer

Carry gun for farmer

This is a discussion on Carry gun for farmer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to decide what to carry. Not only for defense against crazed humans, but against dogs, foxes, bears, etc. Size is not really an ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Carry gun for farmer

I'm trying to decide what to carry. Not only for defense against crazed humans, but against dogs, foxes, bears, etc. Size is not really an issue.
    I need something that's going to be solid, reliable, and powerful enough to handle Pennsylvania's wild animals that I might run into while walking the fields.

I've been thinking either a 1911 or a glock 30 in .45 acp- but am open to other thoughts. This will be a "working gun"- function and reliability are very important, as is accuracy, but the looks of the gun don't matter. It will get dirty, dusty, and scratched up, without a doubt.

Jeff

Administrator
    Glock. It starts out ugly, so you beating it and making it even more ugly won't matter.

It also has been proven to be tough as anything.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Between your two choices I would regrettably go with the G G G G G Glock, sorry hard to get that out.

Although personally I would consider a stainless GP100 in .357 mag. I don't think they come any tougher.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I would carry a 4" Ruger or S&W revolver in .357 magnum.

Should settle the hash of most wild beasts, both biped and quadraped.

Glock 20 in 10mm. Big, powerful, and reliable. Other than that I agree with Farron a Big Honkin Revolver. Something from Smith or ruger in at least a 4 inch barrel, and prob in .44 mag.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

If you're talking bear, my choice would be a revolver in .44 magnum.

farronwolf hit it. If you're out in the dirt and dust a revolver might be the way to go. Rock solid reliability in just about any condition.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Glock 20 10mm
    Glock 31 .357sig

Wilson Combat .460 Rowland

Carry gun for farmer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to decide what to carry. Not only for defense against crazed humans, but against dogs, foxes, bears, etc. Size is not really an issue.
    I'm not a farmer but I do a fair amount of knocking around in the hills and back country. From my modest arsenal of weaponry I use my Ruger GP100 4" revolver for needs similar to the ones you have described. If I owned a Ruger Redhawk in 44 Magnum I'd consider that a good choice as well.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Kel-Tec PMR30

30 rounds or .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire in a thin and light pistol.

Kel Tec

Glock they start out fugly and stay fugly. Never Open Carry a Glock to fugly for the world to see.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I'm not a farmer but I do a fair amount of knocking around in the hills and back country. From my modest arsenal of weaponry I use my Ruger GP100 4" revolver for needs similar to the ones you have described. If I owned a Ruger Redhawk in 44 Magnum I'd consider that a good choice as well.
    The only reason I didn't suggest the Redhawk in 44 mag, which I have as well as the GP 100 is that the Redhawk with 5.5 inch barrel does get a bit heavy over the course of a day carrying it. I know there is less than 1lb difference in the unloaded weight, but somehow it does seem much heavier over a long period of time.

For you S&W guys, I guess one of those revolvers would be an ok choice as well.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

cmb
    I would second the ruger redhawk, a gp 100 in 357 or 44, or the 1911 you mentioned. Some woudl depend on how you would conceal or if you would have to with your locations. The glock would be a good choice to, I would go to the 45 or 10mm, the 10mm is light and I have trouble with control, I think its the grip and the one a shot was 1st or 2nd gen, they are a little slimmer now and better grip... happy hunting... for the gun that is!

EDIT: Not the Redhawk I meant the Alaskan with the 2" barrell, sorry, the redhawk is good but I would use that specifically for hunting those bigger animals, course I'd start with a rifle!
    Last edited by cmb; January 26th, 2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: brain malfuntion

My vote: a revolver with at least a 4", 6" preferred, barrel and in .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum or .45 LC.

I'd use a vertical shoulder holster.

Biker

VIP Member
    Handgun I use either a Glock or a S&W 686, both in a chest holster. The 686 works great in summer with a few rounds of shot for snakes.

Since range is limited, I carry a long gun as well....usually a Winchester 94. Many a miscreant has fallen to the 94. I have mounts on my 4 wheeler & tractors to carry it. Rarely do the varmints let me get within handgun range....

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Kel-Tec PMR30
    30 rounds or .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire in a thin and light pistol.
    Kel Tec
    That might be worth looking at.....Anybody have any experience with one?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you're worried about bears, you need something big--10mm minimum. Also, a rabid fox, etc. might be hard to hit, so I'd go for high capacity.

A full-size Glock .45 ACP or 10mm, will have 14 or more rounds. Glock will always work when you need it. Both are relatively light (the ammo is probably heavier than the gun) and either would probably work for anything smaller than a bear. I wouldn't depend on a .44 Mag to stop a really pissed-off bear.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links