Defensive Carry banner

Carry gun for farmer

6K views 70 replies 56 participants last post by  Gearslammer 
#1 ·
I'm trying to decide what to carry. Not only for defense against crazed humans, but against dogs, foxes, bears, etc. Size is not really an issue.
I need something that's going to be solid, reliable, and powerful enough to handle Pennsylvania's wild animals that I might run into while walking the fields.

I've been thinking either a 1911 or a glock 30 in .45 acp- but am open to other thoughts. This will be a "working gun"- function and reliability are very important, as is accuracy, but the looks of the gun don't matter. It will get dirty, dusty, and scratched up, without a doubt.

Jeff

#3 ·
Between your two choices I would regrettably go with the G G G G G Glock, sorry hard to get that out.

Although personally I would consider a stainless GP100 in .357 mag. I don't think they come any tougher.

#5 ·
Glock 20 in 10mm. Big, powerful, and reliable. Other than that I agree with Farron a Big Honkin Revolver. Something from Smith or ruger in at least a 4 inch barrel, and prob in .44 mag.

#6 ·
If you're talking bear, my choice would be a revolver in .44 magnum.

farronwolf hit it. If you're out in the dirt and dust a revolver might be the way to go. Rock solid reliability in just about any condition.

#8 ·
Carry gun for farmer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to decide what to carry. Not only for defense against crazed humans, but against dogs, foxes, bears, etc. Size is not really an issue.
I'm not a farmer but I do a fair amount of knocking around in the hills and back country. From my modest arsenal of weaponry I use my Ruger GP100 4" revolver for needs similar to the ones you have described. If I owned a Ruger Redhawk in 44 Magnum I'd consider that a good choice as well.

#11 ·
The only reason I didn't suggest the Redhawk in 44 mag, which I have as well as the GP 100 is that the Redhawk with 5.5 inch barrel does get a bit heavy over the course of a day carrying it. I know there is less than 1lb difference in the unloaded weight, but somehow it does seem much heavier over a long period of time.

For you S&W guys, I guess one of those revolvers would be an ok choice as well. :danceban:

#14 ·
Handgun I use either a Glock or a S&W 686, both in a chest holster. The 686 works great in summer with a few rounds of shot for snakes.

Since range is limited, I carry a long gun as well....usually a Winchester 94. Many a miscreant has fallen to the 94. I have mounts on my 4 wheeler & tractors to carry it. Rarely do the varmints let me get within handgun range....

Kel-Tec PMR30
30 rounds or .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire in a thin and light pistol.
Kel Tec
That might be worth looking at.....Anybody have any experience with one?

#10 ·
Glock they start out fugly and stay fugly. Never Open Carry a Glock to fugly for the world to see.

#12 · (Edited)
I would second the ruger redhawk, a gp 100 in 357 or 44, or the 1911 you mentioned. Some woudl depend on how you would conceal or if you would have to with your locations. The glock would be a good choice to, I would go to the 45 or 10mm, the 10mm is light and I have trouble with control, I think its the grip and the one a shot was 1st or 2nd gen, they are a little slimmer now and better grip... happy hunting... for the gun that is!

EDIT: Not the Redhawk I meant the Alaskan with the 2" barrell, sorry, the redhawk is good but I would use that specifically for hunting those bigger animals, course I'd start with a rifle!

#13 ·
My vote: a revolver with at least a 4", 6" preferred, barrel and in .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum or .45 LC.

I'd use a vertical shoulder holster.

Biker

#15 ·
If you're worried about bears, you need something big--10mm minimum. Also, a rabid fox, etc. might be hard to hit, so I'd go for high capacity.

A full-size Glock .45 ACP or 10mm, will have 14 or more rounds. Glock will always work when you need it. Both are relatively light (the ammo is probably heavier than the gun) and either would probably work for anything smaller than a bear. I wouldn't depend on a .44 Mag to stop a really pissed-off bear.

#18 ·
Glock 10mm

#20 ·
.357 Magnum or a .44 magnum. A revolver is more reliable as there are fewer moving parts. If you really might encounter a bear they will do the job where i don't think a .45ACP will. If you go with a .44 magnum load it with Garrett super hard cast hammer head 310 grain ammo. You won't have to worry about knocking down a bear if you can manage to hit it.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/products.asp

#23 ·
Oldvet,

My confusion was that is sounded like you were suggesting that the .45acp or 10mm would be a better round against a bear than a 44 mag.

I agree that any pistol round is probably not the first choice against a bear, especially an angry one.

#24 ·
Of the 2 guns you listed I'd probably say the Glock, and I'm not a Glock person. Looking at other guns, I'd go with a CZ75 P-06 in a semi-auto, or a Ruger GP100 4" in .357 for a revolver. Overall a revolver will be the most trouble free of the any.

#25 ·
LOL

I checked out the thread because I tend to spend alot of time outside working on my rural property as well. I'm more worried about human predators however.

In my case, I'm out there in drizzling rain alot. Eventually, you do get wet thru.

So the Glock comments make some sense! They are unattracive but have the reputation for taking all sorts of abuse. My M&P, while handsomer ;-) also can take abuse but is large and heavy.

Maybe a (well-hidden) compact 9mm Glock? I have shot them before, but they fit my hand poorly.

Seriously, I'd like to open carry on my property....is there an affordable 9mm that works well wet?

#29 ·
Hm. I'm not particularly interested in revolvers...nothing wrong with them tho...but this might be a good situation for one. A .357 that will also take .38 sp. (Or is it vice versa?)

#27 ·
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

A Glock-30, or for a thinner grip the Glock-36...either .45 will work. Either will take a beating and still give you the needed dependability.:yup:

ret :31:

#30 ·
Bear defense is the only legitimate use I can see for the .50 revolvers.

A 10mm Glock would be OK as well, and allow more capacity.

Either way, I'd keep a shotgun loaded with slugs real close by if bears are a real issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.