Why buy a G26 when there are G27's & G33's

This is a discussion on Why buy a G26 when there are G27's & G33's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I’m new to handguns so let me know if this makes since to anyone, or am I missing something. I’m planning on getting new sub ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why buy a G26 when there are G27's & G33's

I’m new to handguns so let me know if this makes since to anyone, or am I missing something. I’m planning on getting new sub compact Glock sometime next month for ccw, to replace my hi-point.
    I’ve been doing a lot reading and I’m having a hard time deciding what caliber to go with 357 sig, 40, or 9mm. Since I can’t decide my thought is to buy either the 357 or the 40 and get a conversion barrel and mag for 9mm. Since I already have a couple thousand rounds of 9mm, I can get use to the ergo of the gun with 9mm.
    Then start practicing with the 357 or 40 which ever I find. I just doesn’t make sense to me to by the G26 and be locked into 9mm when I can get the G27 or G33 and get two conversion barrels and be able to shot all three calibers.
    I can rent all three at my local range but by the time I pay for 3 rentals, a lane and ammo I can just about have another barrel. Any advice would be great.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    you can't shoot 9mm out of a G 27 or G 33. (apparently you can)

9mm slides are different then .40 or .357 sig, you would have to replace the slide also to shoot 9mm (forums suggest to replace the extractor for the 9mm to cycle reliably)

the .357 sig is a necked down .40 so the slides will hold both cartridges. The 9mm case is a different size. (but according to glock forums some have successfully shot 9mm with a .40 bolt face.)
    Last edited by razor02097; January 26th, 2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: information update

You said it man. Not sure why anyone would get a 26 either.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'd say get the G27.

You can get a conversion barrel for G27 to 9mm (Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, etc.). No need to replace the slide; the barrel is thicker on the 9mm to fit the G27 slide.

You will also need G26 mags to take the 9mm shells. Some people use the G27mags, but reliability is an issue. .40 and .357 will both feed thru the G27 mags.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm going to get a G22 and a 9mm barrel for the same reasons. I have a G30 for CC, so I'm looking for something full sized.

The .357 Sig is actually a necked-down 10mm. the .40 case is too short to neck down and still have any powder room.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

With the ammo rollercoaster on the loose why would you want to expand your selection of calibers? Stick with the 9mm, it's usually easier to find, cheaper, and if you wake up in a foreign country they probably have it also. Lots of great 9mm SD ammo out there. I do understand what you are saying but, I don't see the appeal in conversions and aftermarket mods to a handgun that your are trusting for self defense. Glocks work great right out of the box.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

It's your money. If you want to be able to shoot different calibers out of the same gun, then go for the 27 or the 33 like you stated, the two additional barrels, and let us know how it all works out.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

ntg
    Once you buy the conversion barrel a couple of mags and all you're going to be in it almost as much as a used g26. I'm a fan of sticking to stock, factory. I'm this way with trucks, too. Just a thought.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Cost of converting and availability of conversion parts would be my guess.

I had the exact same logic. I ended up bringing home a G27 a while back. It's happily been my constant companion ever since.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Get the 26 and learn to shoot it well. Then before you know it your Glock will have offspring (as Glocks have a strange way of multiplying).
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

I dont understand,why anyone would buy a .40 Glock.

Because to me its perfect. Its a respectable caliber. Its easy to conceal. Its easier to make quick follow up shots. Its cheap to shoot. Its a 9mm Glock. It interchanges with my local police dept. It just feels right. I have shot a 27 and felt that in a small package it was a little more than I wanted. True I could shoot it fine but felt I could make quicker follow up shots with my 26. I dont always hit what I am shooting at with a perfect shot with my first shot so sometimes I have to shoot twice.

9mm used to be slightly underpowered but the new defensive ammo has changed all that. the 40 and 357 are respectabel choices, and youwont be disappointed but they are more of a handful for a lot of people. Go with what you think you can shoot well and get ammo for ona regular affordable basis. Nothing wrong with either of the three.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The cost of the conversion is what, $150? No brainer to me.

From my experience as an instructor since 1992, I believe that the Glock 26 is an ideal sub-compact. The 9mm round really shines in the smaller compact guns, easy to shoot.

Remember, your gun fight might involve shooting on the move, shooting against a moving threat, shooting one handed strong hand only, shooting one handed weak hand only, and/or shooting at multiple assailants.

That being the case, I believe that in a small sub-compact gun, the 9mm is a better choice because I feel that most shooters will be able to master them easier and quicker, allowing them to perform the above needed techniques.

As your skill level grows, then your ability to handle the .40, .45, etc.. will improve and you can change guns if you want.

Again, this is just my opinion, good luck with your choice.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links