Defensive Carry banner

Talk me out of a P239 40

9K views 37 replies 34 participants last post by  Safety First 
#1 ·
I have been looking at CC pistol for a bit and taking in all that this forum has to offer. Thank you.

At this point I am looking at a P239 in 40. I have a P226/40 that I am quite happy with, but looking for something smaller.

I'd like to hear about alternatives and the downsides to the P239.

TIA.

JW

#2 ·
Wow!

from Central Florida!

You'll like the P-239...I can't talk you out of it, except to buy a Glock.:rolleyes:

ret :31:

#4 ·
Agreed...the 9mm just makes more sense in that gun.

#5 ·
well... I love my P239 40, and with the ability to swap the barrel for a factory (or aftermarket) .357 Sig barrel... or a Barsto (or other) aftermarket 9mm barrel, you still have the option to go up or down in caliber. Personally, I'm very pleased with the 40 platform, and it shoots quite well as is.

I wouldn't even think about trying to talk anyone down from a P239

surv

#6 ·
Sorry...no can do....I have a P226/.40 and P229/.40.....then went out and got a P239/.40. They're addictive!!

#7 ·
Why do you want to be talked out of it? The only thing I don't like about it is that it's rather large for a single stack.

#8 ·
I don't necesssarily want to be talked out of it. Just want hear the bad and the ugly. I've shot it, like it, and want-so I've seen the good.

Regarding the 9 vs 40. I am not recoil averse. I like and am comfortable with my 44 mag SBH and HK USP 45. For those that have shot both the 9 and 40 P239, how would you describe the difference?

I recognize that there are smaller options and will look at some of the other offerings when the BUG gets purchased. Torn there between 642 and LCP type offerings.

JW

#13 ·
I have to say if you're fine with the recoil, forget the 40cal. Go .357sig!!!!

The .357sig was brought about because, (dare I say it), the .40 ain't doin' so hot on the street. There I said it! It has accuracy issues as well.

The .357sig however has the knockdown power and penetration for a better one shot stop, (similiar to the 125gr .357 magnum; which is what started this whole 10mm to .40S&W to .357Sig auto cartridge storyline). It's super accurate and the necked cartridge makes it feed and gobble up everything you load in her.

If the Sig cartridge ain't for you,...I'd personally would go with the 9mm any day over the the .40cal! JMHO

#22 ·
Well, this post is certainly chock full of BS. :blink:

The .40 S&W makes up about 65-70% of ammo sales to LE. It has an excellent record in actual police shootings. Apparently, somebody thinks that it works ok.

The .357 Sig was not developed because the .40 doesn't work. The .357 Sig, (which is a hot 9mm, NOT an actual .357) was developed to cash in on the fame of the legendary .357 magnum as a street proven round. It runs a little slower than the ballistics of the old .357 magnum out of a 4" barrel with a 125 grain bullet from most companies. Federal HST in .357 Sig is 1360 fps, vs. the tried and true .357 magnum at an honest 1450 fps from a 4 inch revolver. Speer Gold Dot is 1350 fps, again not up to magnum standards. Expansion and penetration tests show the .357 Sig to be a good cartridge, but not a vast improvement over .40 (which usually penetrates deeper and expands to a bigger diameter) or even good 9mm loads.

In any event, there is no such thing as "knockdown power" out of a handgun, and there is no such thing as "one shot stop" ratings, other than in the world of junk science.

As far as the P239...if I'm carrying that much weight around, I'm gonna have some capacity to go with it. 8 or 9 shots in that platform just don't cut it for me.

#17 ·
Well here goes.......I too went and looked at the Sig (nope, never shot one) and held many diffeent varients (regular, SAS, DAK triggers, etc.)...spent lots of time in the stores just fondling them.....great feel and nicely made BUT (ok, again, here goes my try!)....for the size, it is much larger than you think, and not great in the capacity area for its size, and I personally dont like DA/SA transition or the heavy DAK.......have many Glocks but wanted a small 40 that was "comfortable" to shoot......so for me, I got the PPS in 40...and love it (yes had a few issues as my other posts have shown) but I love it....for me, the most easy kicking 40 cal bar none...and I owned a Glock 27 and hated it.......for the record, I own a Glock 19 and 26 in 9MM and lvoe them, but the 40 was uncomfortable in the 27 and I thought the Sig was just too big for what I was going to use it for. My PPS is not much larger than my Kahr PM9 and packs the same qty of ammo but in 40 and I can shoot it very comfortably.

Good luck with your search!

#18 ·
I also have a P226 in .40 and EDC a P239 in .40. I can conceal both, but the P239 is just easier to make disappear. I was carrying a XDsc, but traded to the P239 so I was using the same "system" so to speak. You'll like the P239.:hand10:

#21 ·
P239 sort of in between...

I'd like to hear about alternatives and the downsides to the P239.
I have a P239 in 9mm, plus a variety of other guns. The P239 has many fine qualities, but I would agree with the often cited complaint that it is rather large for its capacity (8+1 rounds in 9mm, 7+1 rounds in .40). The P239 is almost identical in dimensions to the Glock 19 or 23 - I have measured them side by side with a calipers and ruler. Plus the Glocks are lighter weight (empty). When you consider that the G19 gives you 15+1 rounds and the G23 gives you 13+1 rounds, either Glock has a big advantage over the P239, and conceals equally well.

At the other end of the scale, when I want a highly concealable 9mm I use a Kahr MK9, which is much smaller in dimensions than the P239 and has nearly as much capacity (6+1 or 7+1 for the MK9 vs. 8+1 for the P239). The Kahr is shorter in length, height and thickness than the Sig, and conceals very easily.

So my bottom line is that the P239 is sort of in between - too large for a moderate capacity 9mm and lacking in high capacity when that is what you want to carry.

#26 ·
Talk a fellow member out of a gun he likes?
I couldn't bring myself to do such a thing:smile:

#27 ·
Go ahead and get it. :hand10: P239 in .40S&W is my main carry gun, and I really don't feel that I am lacking with 180gr HST in it. Frankly, I think I shoot it better than I do a P229 in the same caliber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.