kahr p380 help

This is a discussion on kahr p380 help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; first off let me say that i love my kahrs, but i still have questions about the mag. feeding the bullets. on my lcp the ...

Thread: kahr p380 help

kahr p380 help

first off let me say that i love my kahrs, but i still have questions about the mag. feeding the bullets. on my lcp the bullets feed straight into the barrel, but on the kahr when the slide is moving forward it catches the new round and pushes it forward. but the bullet moves down and hits the bottom of the ramp on the barrel. when the magazine is full, the problem gets worse. i think this is a design flaw for most of the problems i am having. i don't think a stronger slide spring is the answer because the problem still exists. you can polish the ramp all you want but it won't solve the jams. if you put the full lcp mag. on the side of the p380 mag you can see the difference on the angle of the bullets. please help kahr fans. thanks.

2. Remove Ads

My P380 hasn't had a malfunction in over 500 rounds.
    Multiple brands of FMJ, Gold Dots, DPX, they all feed fine.
    Are you easing the slide forward by hand or are you releasing it from full lock with the slide stop lever?

i am using the slide stop lock with a fully loaded mag. it does go forward but some times it stops for a split second and then it slides closed. sometimes it just locks open. you can hit the back of the slide and it will close, but you can see the bullet nose down when it is moving forward. i would like to see the bullet move forward flat like the lcp does. i think it is the angle of the magazine in the gun. it is kind of sad that i have to shoot 2 - 3 hundred rounds to break it in. that stinks!!

This is a known issue with Kahrs, due to the design of the magazine. As you noted, the top round in the mag can nose down and jam into the feed ramp. It generally happens with 5 or more rounds in the mag. This is the reason I sold my PM9.

If this happens, it is better to smack upwards on the bottom of the mag than to try smacking the slide forward. The latter will not always work to solve the issue.

With the .380, a very good case can be made for using FMJ ammo - especially from a short barrel. I use FMJ in my LCP to help ensure adequate penetration. That should resolve the Kahr feed issue for you.

Good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

What kind of ammunition are you using? I've never had a problem with any kind of .380 FMJ with the P380. The only JHP I've had issues with is Cor-Bon and that seems to be an issue with any make gun I buy.

I don't think it's sad at all that Kahr says you should run it through a break in period. When you are dealing with precision machining and extremely tight tolerances, a brand new piece can be a little tight, and that can possibly to lead to a malfunction or two. If you run the 200+ rounds through it you will notice it should become perfect. It will allow all the parts to become (for lack of a better word) mated to each other.
    I have a little experience dealing with precision machining; I am shop manager at a industrial turbine machine shop. To you it is sad it requires 200+ rounds to function the way you'd like, but to me it shows quality, and precision.
    Just my .02

If you want to sell it let me know

are there any other guns that require a break in before they are reliable? is this only kahr. i also had to file the magslide stop on the inside of the gun because it was hitting the bullets and holding the slide open.

Quote Originally Posted by wjjmlg View Post
    are there any other guns that require a break in before they are reliable? is this only kahr.
    - It's not just Kahr. Para Ordnance (300) and Kimber (200) are two others off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.

Quote Originally Posted by wjjmlg View Post
    i also had to file the magslide stop on the inside of the gun because it was hitting the bullets and holding the slide open.
    - Have you tried contacting Kahr's customer service? They seem to be very helpful from various posts that I've seen.

I should also ask if you cleaned and lubed the P380 before taking it to the range for the first time?

I posted a range report if you're interested.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ge-report.html

Links