Herters Ammo

Herters Ammo

This is a discussion on Herters Ammo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 9mm is very hard to find in my area right now. I ordered some Herters fmj from Cabelas. My big concern is the steel case ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herters Ammo

Herters Ammo

9mm is very hard to find in my area right now. I ordered some Herters fmj from Cabelas. My big concern is the steel case that they claim is polymer coated. How bad is steel casings for the extractors on Glocks?

Quote Originally Posted by The Haig View Post
    9mm is very hard to find in my area right now. I ordered some Herters fmj from Cabelas. My big concern is the steel case that they claim is polymer coated. How bad is steel casings for the extractors on Glocks?
    If you are reasonably close to Newington, Hoffmans generally has a good supply of 9mm. I haven't been in the last couple of weeks, though.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

The only polymer coated ammo that I have knowingly shot was some Wolfe. The coating makes it shoot dirty and fouls the barrel. I had to scrub it to clean it...Other people may like it and have a different story. But, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

I don't think Herters is cheap enough to make a difference.
    If I can buy Herters for 25 cents a round and PMC Bronze for 27 cents a round, I'll go with the name brand.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Sounds like Wolfe is using the Herters name to garner business. The real Herters was a predecessor of Cabelas and all the other outdoor mail order companies. They've been out of business since, I believe, the late 70s. They main store was in Mitchell, S.D. right off the interstate. Believe it or not, I am still using their cast iron, 500 lb. reloading press.

A rose by any other name,... a Wolfe by any other name. They still smell the same.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

A 500 ib press ,no wonder they went out of business,my dillon werighs less than 30
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Sounds like Wolfe is using the Herters name to garner business. The real Herters was a predecessor of Cabelas and all the other outdoor mail order companies. They've been out of business since, I believe, the late 70s. They main store was in Mitchell, S.D. right off the interstate. Believe it or not, I am still using their cast iron, 500 lb. reloading press.

A rose by any other name,... a Wolfe by any other name. They still smell the same.
    Cabela's apparently has licensed (or bought) the Herter's name. The ammo being sold under that label is produced at the Tula factory in Russia, which is the same plant that makes Wolf. The Herters does not have the same headstamp as Wolf, BTW.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    A 500 ib press ,no wonder they went out of business,my dillon werighs less than 30

Well, I might have exaggerated a little. But the thing is pretty heavy.

Actually, Herters had some really cool stuff, and a lot of it was unfinished kits that you could finish to your liking. They literally had everything you could think of. Their advertising made the old Sears and Robucks or "Guaranted to cure anything" ads look petty. too bad they're not still around.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by drjavelina View Post
    The only polymer coated ammo that I have knowingly shot was some Wolfe. The coating makes it shoot dirty and fouls the barrel.
    You're thinking of the lacquer coating that Wolf used, up until a few years ago. Wolf quit using lacquer and switched to polymer, to solve the problems you mentioned. The lacquer would melt when run through a hot chamber.

So in short, the polymer coating is OK.

A lot of the issues with steel cased ammo is that the case does not fit the chamber as tightly as brass and allows some of the gas and carbon to get between the case and the chamber. This can cause a problem with extracting rounds as the carbon builds and the chamber gets tight. Usually you won't notice unless you go from firing a lot of steel cased ammo and straight to brass without cleaning. Then you run the risk of hurting your gun. Most like the the extractor will just tear up the brass trying to pull it out.

Herters quality

Hello,
    I have been shooting Herters 45 acp ball ammo now for years. NEVER had a feed issue of any kind. Maybe the occasional miss-fire (one in thousands). The powder is a little dirty, and it seems to be a slower burning powder than Rem and Fed ammo, but for all the shooting that I do, I like it.
    Also,, I can tell you that the older Wolf ammo that was coated w/ that redis color sealer would build up on the barrel and the slide would not close completely after 10 rounds or so. I called them and they sent me a return label- swapped it out for their current clear coated ammo. That works fine. Also a very EZ company to deal with!
    The pistols that I am referring to shooting these ammo brands in are a S&W 1911 modified-- a real tack driver, and a Charles Daley (holds a 3" group at 25 yards).

I've run quite a bit of Herters and other steel cased ammo through my G26 without issue. It is a bit on the dirty side but the g26 don't care.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

VIP Member
    If that is all you can get, fine. Just do what you should be doing with all other ammo, clean and inspect your weapon after your shooting session.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I bought a box of the Herters 45 because it was the cheapest stuff they had on the shelf at the time so I figured I'd check it out. I haven't shot any yet.

Not sure if the 9mm is different but my box of Herters is prominently marked "manufactured in the USA." Also, the cases are aluminum, like CCI Blazer, not steel. The projectiles are what is coated with a blue polymer coating. Can't say yet if or how much it comes off and fouls the barrel.

I bought a case of this ammo in 9mm from Cabelas about a month ago. I've used about 200 rounds so far and my Glock 19 has fed it flawlessly. I'm not a reloader so the "non brass" cases weren't an issue for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links