PF-9 magazine eject when not wanted: cause??

This is a discussion on PF-9 magazine eject when not wanted: cause?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a KelTec PF-9 9mm semi-auto that I carry from time to time, but I have noticed several instances of the magazine having been ...

Thread: PF-9 magazine eject when not wanted: cause??

Question PF-9 magazine eject when not wanted: cause??

I have a KelTec PF-9 9mm semi-auto that I carry from time to time, but I have noticed several instances of the magazine having been released, when removing the holstered gun from my pocket. It sits in a Mitch Rosen Pocket Softy holster. The holster doesn't seem to be doing the deed, but it must be the cause.

Question: Does anyone have a problem with the magazine releasing on the PF-9 without intending to have it do so? If so, have you found a cure?

This is the only pistol I've ever had that has allowed the magazine to come released without my intending it to happen. The idea that the magazine might drop right out of the mag well upon drawing it has me a bit spooked. It's out of the lineup until I can determine the cause and correct it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

So far mine hasn't done that.

Distinguished Member
    Has not happened with mine, does yours have a plastic or metal release button? Might check on the Kel-Tec owners forum, you will find your answer and solution over there.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I haven't had that problem.

Its probably a plastic mag release that needs to be replaced with an updated medal one.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Has not happened with mine, does yours have a plastic or metal release button?
    My PF-9 is an older model with the plastic release.

Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    Its probably a plastic mag release that needs to be replaced with an updated medal one.
    Hm. In reading a dozen threads on KTOG.org about the metal release, not a single one that I found indicates why the new release is improved, what it fixes that resolves the problem. Other than, it stops flaky releases. Uncertain why.

A couple of the threads do have some pics, though, which show certain characteristic worn spots on the plastic release which seem to be tell-tale signs of a flaky release arm.

So, I will be contacting Kel-Tec for a metal magazine release. I'm assuming Kel-Tec is the supplier, as one thread somewhat implies (click).

Any other explanations for flaky, unintentional release? Or, is that pretty much it?

PF9 mag release

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    My PF-9 is an older model with the plastic release.

Hm. In reading a dozen threads on KTOG.org about the metal release, not a single one that I found indicates why the new release is improved, what it fixes that resolves the problem. Other than, it stops flaky releases. Uncertain why.

A couple of the threads do have some pics, though, which show certain characteristic worn spots on the plastic release which seem to be tell-tale signs of a flaky release arm.

So, I will be contacting Kel-Tec for a metal magazine release. I'm assuming Kel-Tec is the supplier, as one thread somewhat implies (click).

Any other explanations for flaky, unintentional release? Or, is that pretty much it?
    I had the same issue a year or so ago. I called Kel Tec and they immediately sent me a metal release to replace the plastic and I changed it out myself. The problem with plastic is that when you slam the mag in, it chews away at the release, obviously because it's plastic. If you press the mag release in while inserting the mag, you'd be OK, but some don't and that's what causes the wear. I press the mag release in on all of my guns when inserting a mag, just because I think it saves wear and tear. Hope this helps.
    Glock 22, Glock 23, S&W SW40VE, S&W SD9VE, Kahr CM9, Del Ton Echo 316 AR15.

cj
    +1 on the bet of the plastic mag release having been worn down. Call them up and get a replacement (or send it back home for the update if you're not comfortable doing it yourself).

Get the metal release and your peoblem should be solved. I have seen carry guns that picked up so much lint or whatever that the mag release never engaged properly. Of course no one on this forum would be guilty of such neglect.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I have a P3AT that had the same problem. The plastic release sets too proud of the grip. Kept ejecting in my pocket. Took a dremel and slowly ground it down just enough. Still easily ejected by hand but has never come out in the pocket since then. Been about a year since I modified it.

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    I have seen carry guns that picked up so much lint or whatever that the mag release never engaged properly.
    This has occurred since the gun was purchased, so I knew that environmental factors weren't the cause.

Get the metal release and your peoblem should be solved.
    I have gone one coming, now. Wasn't aware that an update of the mag catch had been made.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    The plastic release sets too proud of the grip. Kept ejecting in my pocket. Took a dremel and slowly ground it down just enough.
    Might be possible, but I don't think so. The holster is well-made and covers that area, and the indications of contact between leather and the surface of the mag release don't indicate much contact pressure at all.

Still, with the new metal catch that's coming, it might well become a problem. So, I will monitor the height and the leather in that area. If needed, I'll have a gunsmith shave the height of the button, a bit.

Thanks, all.

I have not had a problem with my PF9 so call Kel-tec and they will take care of you (best support in the business).
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Links