Just for Home Defense.

This is a discussion on Just for Home Defense. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently do not carry a firearm.. let me just get that out of the way. But for home defense I am thinking about buying ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just for Home Defense.

Just for Home Defense.

I currently do not carry a firearm.. let me just get that out of the way. But for home defense I am thinking about buying a pistol. I have decided on this over a rifle/shotgun/ because of my theory (fear, perhaps) of it being grabbed during an invasion. As for caliber, I am a little undecided. 9mm, 45acp, etc.. Even though I'm all for defending my family and property, I do value life, and would rather stop the perp instead of blowing him up. I would definitely fit it with a surefire light for identification. I have thought about the Glock 17..just something standard. I have shot 9mm and found it rather fun, but nothing else. Also, the clerk at my local gun shop advised a Smith&Wesson revolver, but I would prefer something more enjoyable to practice with. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Mic
    If a revolver is what your looking at, I realy like the Ruger GP100 .357, dont know why, I just think its a nice shooting handgun and CC's well. Personaly I like Glock .40 cal for all around SD and CC. 9mm is the new 38 special, a decent SD round if using HP's but lacks stoping power compaired to others (IMHO) most LE agencies have gone to .40 cal, not to big, not to small, and still relitively cheep to go to the range and expend a few hondred rounds. Whatever you decide to buy, invest in a good HP round (I reccomend Federal Hydrashoks) and you'll be fine.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

I would ask you to reconsider your HD weapon. Based on your experience and awareness a shotgun would provide stopping power, less accuracy and in most cases won't kill the BG. I travel often and if my wife god forbid had a break in she would simply point the gun and shoot. Sounds simplistic and it is, no aiming, no worrying about bullets going through walls. She simply points and lets the 5, 6 or 7 shot do the rest. IMHO

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh542 View Post
    I do value life, and would rather stop the perp instead of blowing him up.
    I hope at least that you have the mindset to know that you may very well have to "blow him up" in order to stop him/her... and it won't be pretty. Having said that, don't forget that shot placement is the premier deciding factor in your success. Caliber is secondary.

Shoot what you're comfortable with, but I would recommend a weapon with a large capacity for ammo.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

My advice would be to first take a gun safety course and then go to a shooting range and rent some different guns to shoot and see what fits and feels best, and most importantly what you can shoot best. You choice should be something you are very familiar with and be proficient with using it (load, unload, clear jams, maintenance, firing, the works).

Revolvers are the simplest to use all the way around (load, unload, shoot, clean) and they are not picky about type of ammo or sensitive to grip/limp wristing. If a round doesn't fire, pull the trigger again (on a double action or DA/SA model). Personally, I find them very fun to shoot. A good Smith&Wesson or Ruger 6 shot .357 Magnum with 4" barrel would be a very wise choice. You can shoot .38 specials out of it for less recoil and punch, but still have the option of .357 available. If you are thinking you might want something to carry concealed at some point in the future, the Ruger SP101 is a smaller version.

Semi-automatics are also a great choice. Glocks are very simple and straight forward. The G17 is an excellent gun in 9mm and that is a good self defense round. The G17 is a higher capacity than a revolver and can still be carried concealed with a little effort if you so choose in the future. They take a little more effort to load, operate, and maintain but it is easy enough.

It comes down to personal preference. Shoot a few and see what you think. Good luck, and stay safe.

PS. I agree that the .40 caliber is an all around great SD round and available at a reasonable price. The Glock 23 would be a great choice in that caliber. Stopping power of the round is just part of the equation...proficiency in shot placement is the most important element. If that is an issue, a "scatter gun" as we called them in my day would be the ticket. Perhaps a Taurus Judge would fit that bill (revolver that shoots 410 shotgun shells).
    Last edited by BugDude; January 27th, 2010 at 10:53 PM. Reason: added last paragraph
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by ncglock View Post
    I would ask you to reconsider your HD weapon. Based on your experience and awareness a shotgun would provide stopping power, less accuracy and in most cases won't kill the BG. I travel often and if my wife god forbid had a break in she would simply point the gun and shoot. Sounds simplistic and it is, no aiming, no worrying about bullets going through walls. She simply points and lets the 5, 6 or 7 shot do the rest. IMHO
    Less accuracy and won't kill the bad guy.....sign me up. That way when the dumb arse gets peppered and survives he and his baby mama can sue me.

GM
    It is very good to value other people life! Unfortunately, you cannot expect that the bad guys will do the same. Most probably they will not, and I can imagine that your and your family’s life is more important that the BG’s life. If you want a pistol for home defense then size and weight does not matter; I should recommend a .45 ACP.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Truly justified self defense shooting is a last resort situation. It is not wise to "shoot to just wound" in a lethal threat situation. One needs to come to terms with the consequences of posessing lethal force and be prepared to utilize it if necessary. If not, it can be taken from you and used against you. That should be part of a good self defense / gun safety course. You also MUST know your state's laws with regard to self defense and use of lethal force. There's a lot more to being defended than just buying a gun. That would be like someone buying a piano and assuming they are a musucian. It's just not that simple. Wish you luck.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

A Glock 17 would be an excellent choice with night sights and a surefire light.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

My home defense weapon is my Bushmaster AR15, i have an 870 shotgun but the barrel is 28 inches - too long to move around in the house , a 16 inch AR15 barrel is much better choice .

and its a better choice for BG with phone books taped on them

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I'm an XD fan so I'd recommend an XD 9mm... a service model or compact... depending on which you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh542 View Post
    I have decided on this over a rifle/shotgun/ because of my theory (fear, perhaps) of it being grabbed during an invasion...

Even though I'm all for defending my family and property, I do value life, and would rather stop the perp instead of blowing him up.
    Please take this kindly, in the spirit it is meant!
    I think you need to take a good defensive pistol class and consider the reality of what your decision means. There are no "just hurt him" guns. None. Ever. A gun is a final decision. Please, talk to a professional and consider your choices after getting some training.

VIP Member
    If the Glock feels large in your hands, check out the S&W M&P's, or the Springfield XDm9 or compact... For basic home defense and a new shooter I would stay with the 9mm, if you are opposed to a revolver. It's the cheapest ammo around, it's recoil is low, so you and your spouse can shoot it. As others have sai, it would be in your best interest to take a basic handgun course, if you're not familiar with handguns and also take a defensive shooting course...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ncglock View Post
    good advice...

also go to the range rent some different guns/types of caliber. see what calls out to you..

Might i recommend the Smith and Wesson M&P
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

There are so many good choices. For home defense in 9mm I'd recommend a GLOCK 17, XD9, or even an XDm9. The S&W M&P is a good line too. A Sig 226 is a pretty sweet shooter too. Right now 9 is much cheaper than other rounds if you can find it. Get good ammo and practice practice practice. That's the most important thing.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links