Fact Check? heard something odd about XD pistols the other day

This is a discussion on Fact Check? heard something odd about XD pistols the other day within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jwhite75 Handle the Glock and XD and feel how they are balanced....the Glock will win on finish and feel. LOL And the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fact Check? heard something odd about XD pistols the other day

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Handle the Glock and XD and feel how they are balanced....the Glock will win on finish and feel. LOL
    And the XD will win on grip angle and ergonomics.

This isn't the kind of discussion that is either a)helpful or b)relevant.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnsXD View Post
    Yeah, sometime around 06 they went to the new finish. If it does rust, send it to SA, they'll happily refinish it for you for $0.
    This is also true. I've never dealt with SA customer service but i've read nothing but great things about them. I've yet to see 1 bad story involving their CS.

Oh No I got an XD9,I shoot the heck out of it throw it in the range bag dirty pull it out following week shoot it throw it back in and repeat,every now and then like bi monthly I clean and lube it and repeat,finish has held up great and I never have a FTF until it gets real dirty,thats when I clean it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

check out xdtalk.com, they have a thread dedicated to rusty guns. but, as stated, these were mostly HS2000's and early XD's.

clean all of your guns with EEZOX every chance you get & there will never be any more fear of rust on any of them.

Well, sounds like everyone pretty much answered this question. I just want to reafirm everyone and say that I have both XDs. Ones that wear fast... er, and newer ones that dont. My XDm40 is my EDC and it already has some shinny spots. Gives the gun character. I clean it ALL THE TIME, and have never had a problem with rust. Every gun will wear differently depending on type of holster and position on the body.

I wear an XD45 in a leather Rosen almost every day in FL, going on third year for this gun. Also have sometimes dunked it (in a fanny pack) while on the water or fishing (freshwater & brackish, not the ocean -- yet). The finish is definitely duller now than what I see in gun shops, but there are no breaks in the finish or rust on it (incl the springs). I really think it dulls more from range time (heat) and cleaning than from carry. Lint in the little springs is common, so I use compressed air to dust it before gunzilla. If you want an XD to carry, buy it. Although not as ugly as Glock the XD is not a good-looking gun -- and it's kinda bulky -- but it works really well: consistent, accurate, reliable. Rust should not be a problem if you clean it at least once a month.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Steve, as long as you're cleaning it on occasion you'll have no problem.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I have absolutely no problems with my XD. I carry it daily. It does not have any holster wear on the slide (I have the bi-tone)...I even managed to scratch it on the left side of the slide and have no problems with it. Of course, I don't live in a very humid climate and tend not to sweat on it much. Keep it clean and you should be fine. I will add though that the finish on the Glocks does seem to be quite a bit more durable and resistant to scratching.

Being is sales myself...Some gun shop salesman have no credibilty and lay out a huge amount of BS....Customer comes in and likes the XD and then the salesman craps all over it to up sell to the more expensive gun.

That really annoys me when they try that crap... so I would go elsewhere to buy my gun...Negative sale tactics does not work!

ntg
    To add, some feel the XD extractor is a better design as it is internal in the slide. In theroy this will be less prone to getting lint, junk, etc. in the extractor to slow it or possibly even cause it to stick. A good cleaning habit, regardless of which you choose, erases this issue.

FWIW...I like the XD better, overall, for a number of reasons.

I curious, what type of finish does the H&K or the Beretta have that makes it a better choice for that climate? Other than the money of course
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I curious, what type of finish does the H&K or the Beretta have that makes it a better choice for that climate? Other than the money of course
    I owned an HK Compact 45 until last summer and the finish didnt look anymore durable then the other guys.

something I forgot to add.

I work at a range as an instructor but when it gets busy on the floor and all the sales people are wrapped up with people wanting to play with 50 different guns and never even intended to buy anything, I will help out. Now, I dont make commission or anything so I dont feed a bunch of crap to more unexperienced people. I do get tested by someone who is knowledgeable but plays it off like someone who is unexperienced, I usually see right through it. The salesmen in one of the ranges I work in get both commission and hourly wage. These guys are more likely to advise what is good, what is crap, and what is way to expensive.

A little story about that. I watched as an elderly man, maybe in his late 50s to mid 60s comes in wanting something nice, worth some money, (he said "I dont want the cheap *crap*" (insert another word)) so the salesman that was helping him went for the gusto. He went to the back and pulled out my favorite, one that I have had my eye on for a while. An H&K MK23 retails at $2,300. Now, this older guy was liking what he saw and I thought I was out of my pistol (I get employee pricing!) but then he said something I will never forget, "Im not in the service anymore, I dont need anything this high tech!" That said, he pointed at a XD40 and said, "Is that a good pistol? How much is it? let me see it." He went home that day with a XD.

That salesman didnt read his customer very well. Like I said, I am no salesman but I have an idea of what someone might be interested in. That salesman just saw dollar signs when he was asked for a good quality gun he went for the one of the most expensive ones we carry.

Price does influence quality, but the XD is one of the best in overall quality firearms on the market for its price category. My advice, do whatever research at home before going into the shop, know what you are talking about and have a good idea what your looking for. Have a set budget and stick to it. Dont buy your first trip and shoot the thing (the rental we have on the wall) before buying the new one.

The XD line is the first gun I recommend to customers looking for a new firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    My BS meter needle is reading somewhere between "smelly" and "stinks"

Yes, salt water is corrosive, yes, salty water laden air is slightly corrosive, yes, sweat and high humidity is slightly corrosive, but modern steel coatings and stainless steel are highly resistant to it. These firearms are designed to function in places far harsher than southern Florida.

Any carry gun will show wear. They should not show rust. CLP is also an excellent rust prevention method. Spray it on when cleaning, let is sit a few min, and wipe it dry.

the Gen1 XD's would rust if you looked at them wrong... the finish was complete #!#@..

the newer XD's are better

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links