Fact Check? heard something odd about XD pistols the other day

This is a discussion on Fact Check? heard something odd about XD pistols the other day within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i'm on the FL coast too, bout 20 minutes from you, and my wife has been carrying her xd daily for some time now. 'bout ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fact Check? heard something odd about XD pistols the other day

i'm on the FL coast too, bout 20 minutes from you, and my wife has been carrying her xd daily for some time now. 'bout 8 months or so. not a single bit of rust.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I watched as an elderly man, maybe in his late 50s to mid 60s comes in...
    Since when is 58 ELDERLY?
    Young whippersnappers...
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Young whippersnappers...

That's some funny stuff right there!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve2008 View Post
    I've been eye'ing either an XD or glock for a CC gun for some time now.

i went to a local gun store the other day with a friend who was looking to pick up his first handgun and overheard one of the clerks say something interesting about the XD's. Heard one of the clerks tell a customer that if the customer was going to be using the gun for a CC gun then the XD would need more upkeep and would have more long term issues because of the coating on the slide. He said that the coating on the slide and upper tends be prone to rusting and pitting in the presence of the salts in the air (live in florida right on the coast) and from sweat from the body (he even added that the glocks have this issue, just not as prevalent as the XD). the clerk then recommended the customer look at another brand (think he showed him an H&K or and a bretta).

i've never heard anything about the uppers or slides being prone to rusting/pitting on the XD's or glocks.

wasn't sure if the clerk was trying to steer the customer or what.

is there any truth to what i overheard or was something else going on? i've just never heard anything like that about either make and seeing as i'm looking at an XD, figured it'd be good info to know if it was true.

thanks for the info!
    The coating is an old problem that has been handled on later models.

People who work in gun stores are frequently full of bovine excretum.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    When the XD first came out how ever many years ago it was, there was a finish issue, it's no longer a problem.
    This is the truth. Any new to semi new XD will have the new Melonite (i think is what it's called) finish on it. If you buy a used one and you are concerned call Springfield with the serial number and if it is of the previous finish and you are having problems they'll fix it. And if my memory serves me correctly they fix it for free!

I live in a beach town and have owned and carried my XD for almost two years and I don' have an issue.

Enjoy the XD if that's what you like. Just make sure the pistol fits you
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Smile

With proper cleaning most guns will work well in your environment. I have an XD 40 cal service and love the gun. I even have some Taurus pistols and like them as well. The gun community is rather funny in many ways, especially the Glock community. Now, there is noting wrong with a Glock as it is a fine gun. But, it is not the only gun out there as many seem to think. If you are comfortable with the XD, purchase the gun and take care of it and it will take care of you.

Both Glock and XD use pretty much identical processes, just called different trade names. Meloniting vs. Tenifer. Both are carbo-nitriding.

I'm in FL and live on the water (brackish - intracoastal). Never had any rust on my XDs. Of course, like just about everyone on this forum, I do clean them from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Young whippersnappers...
    At least I said elderly man and not OLD GEEZER!
    Last edited by Avenger; January 29th, 2010 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    When the XD first came out how ever many years ago it was, there was a finish issue, it's no longer a problem.
    +1
    I have read this several times other places just dont remember where.
    maybe the xd forum

I've been carrying my XD Service 9mm for the last 5 years or so, mostly IWB, but sometimes OWB. SS slide. No issues whatsoever with finish. As has been stated earlier, the eary guns did have some issues with rusting but unless you're looking to get an early piece on the used market, I don't see an issue.

If you're interested in either the Glock or the XD, handle both and if possible, shoot both and decide which one better suits your personal fit. They are both respectable, dependable, and fine firearms. Don't believe the hype or "fanboy" syndrome of either. I own and carry an XD because the Glock just doesnt' feel right to me. The grip angle just doesn't work for me on a Glock. The XD just feels more better.

But that's for you to decide.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links