Fact Check? heard something odd about XD pistols the other day

This is a discussion on Fact Check? heard something odd about XD pistols the other day within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been eye'ing either an XD or glock for a CC gun for some time now. i went to a local gun store the other ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fact Check? heard something odd about XD pistols the other day

Fact Check? heard something odd about XD pistols the other day

I've been eye'ing either an XD or glock for a CC gun for some time now.

i went to a local gun store the other day with a friend who was looking to pick up his first handgun and overheard one of the clerks say something interesting about the XD's. Heard one of the clerks tell a customer that if the customer was going to be using the gun for a CC gun then the XD would need more upkeep and would have more long term issues because of the coating on the slide. He said that the coating on the slide and upper tends be prone to rusting and pitting in the presence of the salts in the air (live in florida right on the coast) and from sweat from the body (he even added that the glocks have this issue, just not as prevalent as the XD). the clerk then recommended the customer look at another brand (think he showed him an H&K or and a bretta).

i've never heard anything about the uppers or slides being prone to rusting/pitting on the XD's or glocks.

wasn't sure if the clerk was trying to steer the customer or what.

is there any truth to what i overheard or was something else going on? i've just never heard anything like that about either make and seeing as i'm looking at an XD, figured it'd be good info to know if it was true.

thanks for the info!

2. Remove Ads

I've heard that the coating on the XD's slide isn't as durable as the Glock. I still went with the XD for carry.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    A carry weapon gets dirty fast anyway. A regular cleaning program would negate the propensity for rust and pitting, I'd think. Besides.. if it's a carry weapon, it should never be a BBQ gun anyway :)

I couldn't care less that my carry weapon has scratches, holster wear, etc. because it's a TOOL. I just care that it functions.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    My BS meter needle is reading somewhere between "smelly" and "stinks"

Yes, salt water is corrosive, yes, salty water laden air is slightly corrosive, yes, sweat and high humidity is slightly corrosive, but modern steel coatings and stainless steel are highly resistant to it. These firearms are designed to function in places far harsher than southern Florida.

Any carry gun will show wear. They should not show rust. CLP is also an excellent rust prevention method. Spray it on when cleaning, let is sit a few min, and wipe it dry.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post

Yes, salt water is corrosive, yes, salty water laden air is slightly corrosive, yes, sweat and high humidity is slightly corrosive, but modern steel coatings and stainless steel are highly resistant to it. These firearms are designed to function in places far harsher than southern Florida.

Any carry gun will show wear. They should not show rust. CLP is also an excellent rust prevention method. Spray it on when cleaning, let is sit a few min, and wipe it dry.
    I agree 100%. Sounds like he is steering him away from the $500 range guns to the $800 range guns. You can get an XD with a stainless steel slide. All of my semi autos have SS slides EXCEPT for my new XD-40 sub compact.

As nutz said, it's a carry gun not a trophy case gun. It should get normal carry wear and should be shot regularly for proficiency. Proper care and maintenance will be sufficient to prevent said issues. The BS-o-meter and the saleman's "I need to make a car payment"-o-meter was trying to pry another 300+ bucks out of the guys pocket. JMO.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    "Gun Store Commando" tactics.... why sell him a $500 XD, if you can talk him into a $1000 H&K... I've had a XD45 on the Gulf cost for 3+ years, no problem... any gun will rust if you sweat on it and don't wipe it down...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Steve
    Sometimes you need to take the advise of gun store commandos or employees with a grain of salt. The truth of the matter is, firearms being produced today by the major companies are good choices. Years ago there were some issues with the finishes on the XD model pistols. These problems no longer exist with the Springfield Arms products. It's a favorite ploy with some gun store employees to steer customers away from the reasonably priced Glocks, Rugers, Springfields, amd Smith & Wessons and recommend the higher priced Sig Sauers and H&K's. I own a Springfield XD and several Glocks. Either are a good choice in a personal defence pistol.
    Randy

JD
    Administrator
    When the XD first came out how ever many years ago it was, there was a finish issue, it's no longer a problem.

yeah, for me, it'd be a carry gun, and cleaned regularly and inspected, checked, practiced with, ect. and as stated, its a tool, personally, i would not be worried about the normal signs of wear and use, but what he was saying just seemed to be off about those coatings tending to rust and pit and result in firearm damage vs. the H&K and beretta....

just didn't seem right and wanted to check.

Actually, there was some problems in the first year or 2. There is alot about it on older forums(or search rusty xd's on google). I believe they changed the finish and its not a problem and hasnt been for awhile. The xd is an outstanding gun and I havnt had any rust problems after carrying mine for 1.5 years. A little holster wear, thats about it.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    When the XD first came out how ever many years ago it was, there was a finish issue, it's no longer a problem.
    Correct. I have one of the XDs with the early finish. Have had it for about 6 years and it has not be an issue with just basic maintenance. Also, XDs have a lifetime warranty, if you get one that shows rust, SA will refinish it with the current coating.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

Handle the Glock and XD and feel how they are balanced....the Glock will win on finish and feel. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I've heard this as well

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post

BS meter that just made my day....!!!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Yeah, sometime around 06 they went to the new finish. If it does rust, send it to SA, they'll happily refinish it for you for $0.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links