M&P40c is SA? - Page 2

M&P40c is SA?

This is a discussion on M&P40c is SA? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Phantoms I was under the impression that the M&P series were suppose to be DAO pistols. After examining my new M&P 40c ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M&P40c is SA?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    I was under the impression that the M&P series were suppose to be DAO pistols. After examining my new M&P 40c to see how they pull off such a light trigger pull, it appears to be Single Action.

First, let me explain my understanding of DA and SA. A trigger pull in Double Action both cocks and releases a firing pin, while a trigger pull in a Single Action just releases the firing pin.

Examining my M&P, I see that racking the slide (to put one in the pipe), pulls the spring loaded firing pin back. It remains in this position until you pull the trigger. Pulling the trigger simply releases the firing pin/striker from it's armed position.

As most M&Ps are sold without safety (they do have versions with safety), and the Compact series are considered personal defense/carry weapons by many, I would say that there's an increased risk in carry over what many considered SA Semi-Automatics before (mostly 1911 style).

We've all seen articles and posts by people who consider 1911s unsafe for carry. While I personally believe they are very safe considering a 1911 style gun has three safeties. These are the actual thumb safety, the grip safety and the half cock safety designed to engage if the hammer falls without a trigger pull.

Maybe I'm missing something regarding the safe carry of the M&P series as most of my handgun experience has been around 1911 guns, true DA semis and revolvers. But I can't understand how a M&P series without a thumb safety is considered a very safe carry weapon. The firing pin/striker is "cocked" and the only thing between it falling is a trigger pull.
    It is not either of those (DAO, ror SA)

It is SFA striker fire action.
    Try this safety check your M&P When you pull the trigger on a M&P the firing pin clicks, now You DON'T need to rack the slide all the way back just 1/10 of an inch. Then the pin will be set in place again. A DAO or SA would require you to rack the slide all the way back but not the SFA.

This is part of the internal safety S&W put into the M&P lineup the pin sits 99.9% cocked that other .9% is you pulling the trigger to make it go boom!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rednecksport View Post
    If you dont like the M&P sell it and carry your 1911, I'll give you $100 for it.

Your are a shady fella aren't ya
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    It is not either of those (DAO, ror SA)

It is SFA striker fire action.
    Try this safety check your M&P When you pull the trigger on a M&P the firing pin clicks, now You DON'T need to rack the slide all the way back just 1/10 of an inch. Then the pin will be set in place again. A DAO or SA would require you to rack the slide all the way back but not the SFA.

This is part of the internal safety S&W put into the M&P lineup the pin sits 99.9% cocked that other .9% is you pulling the trigger to make it go boom!

Ok, with the slide off, the wire pushed back down to reattach the Striker release, I can see that it's rocking action may actually push the striker back .9% However, the striker is still being pulled forward under spring pressure. All pulling the trigger is doing is releasing it (by rocking the striker catch release down). The slide only has to move a small amount to place the striker in the firing/cocked position. To me this still appears to be SA (or maybe .9% DA), but then I've never understood the term SFA either.

I never associated SA with a slide having to go all the way back. I always understood it as only having to release a cocked striker/firing pin or hammer which engages a firing pin. I understand DA as having to both cock the firing pin/striker (or hammer) and release it in one trigger pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    The firing pin/striker is "cocked" and the only thing between it falling is a trigger pull.
    So what exactly are you worried about?

Are you worried about the gun going off when pulling the trigger?

This is no different than any other striker fired gun including your daughter's Kahr (the kahr simply has a slightly heavier trigger pull, but not much). Yea, some are 75% cocked, others are 99.9% cocked but at the end of the day pull the trigger, they'll all go off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links