M&P40c is SA?

This is a discussion on M&P40c is SA? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was under the impression that the M&P series were suppose to be DAO pistols. After examining my new M&P 40c to see how they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M&P40c is SA?

M&P40c is SA?

I was under the impression that the M&P series were suppose to be DAO pistols. After examining my new M&P 40c to see how they pull off such a light trigger pull, it appears to be Single Action.

First, let me explain my understanding of DA and SA. A trigger pull in Double Action both cocks and releases a firing pin, while a trigger pull in a Single Action just releases the firing pin.

Examining my M&P, I see that racking the slide (to put one in the pipe), pulls the spring loaded firing pin back. It remains in this position until you pull the trigger. Pulling the trigger simply releases the firing pin/striker from it's armed position.

As most M&Ps are sold without safety (they do have versions with safety), and the Compact series are considered personal defense/carry weapons by many, I would say that there's an increased risk in carry over what many considered SA Semi-Automatics before (mostly 1911 style).

We've all seen articles and posts by people who consider 1911s unsafe for carry. While I personally believe they are very safe considering a 1911 style gun has three safeties. These are the actual thumb safety, the grip safety and the half cock safety designed to engage if the hammer falls without a trigger pull.

Maybe I'm missing something regarding the safe carry of the M&P series as most of my handgun experience has been around 1911 guns, true DA semis and revolvers. But I can't understand how a M&P series without a thumb safety is considered a very safe carry weapon. The firing pin/striker is "cocked" and the only thing between it falling is a trigger pull.

2. Remove Ads

It is no different than any striker fired pistol, Glock and the XD etc...work the same way .The trigger pull is usually a little heaver than on say a 1911 but they are all cocked and the only safety on the Glock and M&P is the disconnect on the trigger the XD does add a grip safety but that is it

I'm not sure on that. The trigger pull on my M&P is just as light as all of my 1911s. This is what got me investigating why it's so light a pull if it's suppose to be DA. There is a somewhat trigger safety that consist of a 2 piece trigger that requires the bottom half to be pulled to operate. But I would think for a carry weapon, one would not cosinder the weapon as safe as a real DA or 1911 style SA.

If you are trying to holster the M&P and a thread or something else catches the bottom half of the trigger, there's the real possibility of a unintended discharge. While that same possibility exist with a true DA, the increased trigger pull is more likely to alert you to danger. And a 1911 would not in this situation unless also had the thumb safety off and were pushing down on the grip safety when it happened.

I think the term DA in many of these newer pistols that are trying to win gov/police approvel for service duty, are only claiming DA as many departments require that before being considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    If you are trying to holster the M&P and a thread or something else catches the bottom half of the trigger, there's the real possibility of a unintended discharge. While that same possibility exist with a true DA, the increased trigger pull is more likely to alert you to danger. And a 1911 would not in this situation unless also had the thumb safety off and were pushing down on the grip safety when it happened.
    or you could just pay attention when holstering so nothing gets caught... the only safety you NEED is in between your ears.

theres no hurry in holstering, only drawing, take your time and make sure your weapon is clear from things that could catch the trigger.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    or you could just pay attention when holstering so nothing gets caught... the only safety you NEED is in between your ears.

theres no hurry in holstering, only drawing, take your time and make sure your weapon is clear from things that could catch the trigger.
    I agree between the ears is the most important safety. But I've also seen several discussions and articles that imply 1911 style SA guns are unsafe for carry. I know the truth, but it's still out there.

Then you get these new guns that are really SA (as the case of the M&P) or only just barely DA (75% pre-pulled strikers) that play on how "unsafe" 1911 SA guns are, claim DA when they're not really to meet a contract/consideration requirement or "just simply insinuate that these newer style guns are safer."

In all actuality they're no more safe than a 1911 style gun. On the M&P, the striker/firing pin is actually under spring tension waiting to go forward. On most 1911 style guns, that's not the case. The hammer falling and striking the firing pin is what sends it forward.

Here's S&W's quick breakdown on the M&P
    In the design of the M&P, we considered the needs of military and law enforcement from every conceivable angle. No other polymer pistol offers this combination of versatility, durability and safety.
    When a person buys a firearm, safety features are a part of what they need to take into consideration. They need to understand the differences in the features of a design and how those features function to determine the value of those features to their wants and needs. CC needs may change the order of what features are more important or required to someone. Most times all they have to go on are the manf. advertising and gun salesmens pitch. The idea that the only thing required to fire a bullet is a light trigger pull may bother some and not others. It's a personal decision.

They don't call them accidents because they were intentional. A lapse of thinking, a stupid move, etc. usually proceeds an accident. While the brain is the biggest safety device, some may prefer additional backups.

They have had some glocks that have discharged when reholstering a weapon when they catch something in the trigger guard and as they shove the gun down it discharges,just remember to be safe
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have 3 M&P's and there is no way the triggers are any where near as easy to pull as my 1911's they also have about an inch of take up. Maybe you have an issue with your M&P? That said I carry a 1911 every day all day period I carried a M&P 40C for about 6 months till it started dropping mags every time you pull the trigger. I then decided I liked a good metal gun and started collecting 1911's

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    It's essentially a SA. Anytime you HAVE to rack the slide and "not" decock (except of course when it's a 1911 type but then you KNOW it's cocked and with safety on, LOCKED) in my opinion it's a SA. Another thing showing this is if you have NO rounds chambered or in the mag - rack the slide - you can only pull the trigger one time and since it didn't cycle the slide it won't fire again.

Taurus's new line is a little different in that if it doesn't fire and recycle the slide on your first try it allows you to try again - but it will be in DA mode.
    Last edited by ArmyCop; January 28th, 2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Edited for content
    For God, Family and Country!

If you dont like the M&P sell it and carry your 1911, I'll give you $100 for it.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I'll give you $110!
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by rednecksport View Post
    If you dont like the M&P sell it and carry your 1911, I'll give you $100 for it.
    I'll give you $125.

Quote Originally Posted by rednecksport View Post
    My M&P's are not for sale I do not sell guns. I never said I do not like the M&P I just really like a 1911 more.

VIP Member
    my M&P has a thumb safety, enough said. I love 1911's but the weight and 7 rounds of 45 acp make it a less appealing choice for me.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiller2 View Post
    It is no different than any striker fired pistol, Glock and the XD etc...work the same way .The trigger pull is usually a little heaver than on say a 1911 but they are all cocked and the only safety on the Glock and M&P is the disconnect on the trigger the XD does add a grip safety but that is it

What He Said^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes its not(hard) like my P11 kel tec trigger pull, but it ain't SA

Robert Coles:
    Abraham Lincoln did not go to Gettysburg having commissioned a poll to find out what would sell in Gettysburg. There were no people with percentages for him, cautioning him about this group or that group or what they found in exit polls a year earlier. When will we have the courage of Lincoln?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Comparing my M&P40c with my Carry Weapon (Kimber Ultra CDP II) and just going off feel, they weigh about the same. I would venture that the M&P slide is heavier than the Kimber. The Kimber feels balanced weight wise while you can definitely tell the M&P is slide heavy when moving the gun around. The trigger pull on the M&P is a heavier, but not that much. However, the take-up on the trigger (trigger pull distance) is much more.

Looking up the specs on the two manf. sites for just these two guns, it shows the M&P trigger pull at 6.5lbs and the Kimber at 4.0-5.0lb. Weight it shows the M&P as 21.9oz. and the Kimber at 25oz. (both without mag).

I'm not really complaining about having bought the M&P, it's operation just surprised me a little. I wanted one based on reviews, forum posts, the look of the gun, and feel in the store. I mainly wanted a .40 to go shooting with to add to my collection as .45 is very hard to find here. I did not buy it as a carry gun for me, but had thought that it could serve that purpose if needed.

I had gave my daughter, who I bought a Kahr CW40 for at the same time, the option of this gun instead after firing both if she preferred it. I'm glad she picked the Kahr, more so now. It's her carry weapon and I would of had a little more concern if she had picked the M&P. The Kahr's a true DAO gun with a much heavier trigger pull. It only weighs 16.8 oz., but doesn't translate into more recoil in her opinion. It also has a longer grip giving her more control. Balance wise, it doesn't feel top heavy like the M&P.

I liked the feel of the Kahr, but have not fired it. I only wanted to make sure that it ran good for her and she fired a good amount and variety of rounds through it (FMJ and JHP). She did not feel the M&P was as accurate, though when I took it to the range it fired dead on for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links