Say what you will but I love my commie carry guns

This is a discussion on Say what you will but I love my commie carry guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I'll say up front that this post may be a little winded but I know that many people struggle with the same questions I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Say what you will but I love my commie carry guns

Ok, I'll say up front that this post may be a little winded but I know that many people struggle with the same questions I had when looking for that "perfect" carry gun.

Like many others that constantly carry concealed, I have always looked for that perfect balance between functionality, concealability and accuracy. Like anything in life, compromises must be made in one area to perhaps pacify another, more pressing need. I have owned and carried several guns that were purchased for the sole purpose of carrying concealed. I found things that I liked about them and other things that just made them not desirable for ccw use. In any gun reliability is first and foremost in my mind. That's why revolvers make great CCW guns for so many. My wife carries a J-frame .38 as a CCW and thoroughly enjoys it. I am a semi-auto guy myself and prefer guns with specific features that I find important. For instance, I prefer a hammer/firing pin to a striker; I want a thin slide and a comfortable grip. If given the choice, I'll take SA/DA over DAO or SAO every time. I prefer metal to polymer and like a decocker but don't care one way or the other about a safety. I like a firm but consistently predictable trigger pull and shy away from squared-off trigger guards. I'd rather have small, military style sights than large, obtrusive sights that I will most likely never need to use in the first place.

I have tried several CCW guns in the last 10 years. Many were purchased based on forum feedback while others were based solely on my own desire. I have found that my choice of CCW flies in the face of what most people seem to like.

Last year I decided to seek out the best gun for me and tried several. I won't bore everyone with a long list but needless to say I found things about each that I liked and didn't like. In a polymer pistol, I only found one that proved to be 100% reliable through 1000+ rounds and that was a Glock 23. Unfortunately, I never found a comfortable way to carry the G23 and have found myself leaving it at home more than carrying it. I tried a smaller Glock (G33) but found that it was no easier to carry than the G23.

In steel/aluminum, I really liked the 1911's. I actually bought a compact RIA and carried it for a few weeks only to have it fail miserably after 500 rounds. I learned my lesson on 1911's, you get what you pay for and while RIAs make a great range gun, the large voids in the metal that opened up in my feed ramp showed me that mine was not to be trusted.

Early last year I stumbled upon a Bulgarian Makarov in a local pawn shop. I took her home and shot the hell out of her for 1000+ rounds. She never choked, hiccuped or burped. I ran tests on carry ammo and found that the Corbon offerings were more than adequate for self-defense needs. I carried the Bulgy for a little while but really found it to be too large for the 8-round capacity it offered.

Frustrated, I started carrying my old P3AT in my pocket even though I abhor shooting that little gun. It works flawlessly but I can't get past the trigger feeling like it's bending and about to break while I shoot. I also intensely dislike the break point consistency and have actually experienced failure due to my finger getting pinched in the triggerguard.

I was at a gunshow in July and, on a whim I picked up a Polish PA-63. It appeared to be well built and was new in box. The price was right at $139 and I had plenty of 9x18 at home so I said, eh... why not? After a good polishing and a few Wollf Spring additions she turned in to a great shooter. She has been 100% reliable through 1000+ rounds and extremely accurate for a small gun. Recoil is manageable and follow-up shots are quick. The gun had all the features I liked as well. Firing pin safety, DA/SA, Hammer, round trigger guard and (after a new set of Sandalwood grips) a comfortable grip. Her 4" barrel made it a little difficult to carry OWB without her peeking out from under my shirt but she fit nicely in a Galco PP IWB holster.

A few weeks later I saw the Polish Radom P64's on J&G's site and decided to grab one of those as well. The P64 is a little heavier but MUCH smaller than the PA-63. The slide is a full 3/4" shorter and works fantastic in a Tagua Quick Draw OWB holster designed for the PPK. After a few spring upgrades the trigger felt nice and, with the exception of a firing pin safety she had all of the features of the PA-63. 1000+ rounds through my first P64 and now 100 through my newest P64 and both guns have proven to be 100% reliable and extremely accurate.

I now split my carry between the PA-63 and the P64 depending on whether I am carrying IWB or OWB. I like different things about each one but feel more than adequately armed with either choice. Both guns were designed to be used by military and/or police. They are extremely durable and well built. They aren't glamorous nor expensive but they are reliable, concealable and deadly accurate.

I love my Glock 23 but it is relegated to nightstand duty while the commie girls get 99% of carry duty.

Ok... now for a few pictures. I know they aren't $1000 guns but they work and they're mine.

Glad you found something that worked for you! It's not about price or where it's made or anything else really. The only importnat thing is that you are happy with it/them and comfortable with them. On a totally un-related side note did it take you awhile to adjust to the way the safties operate?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Glad you found something that worked for you! It's not about price or where it's made or anything else really. The only importnat thing is that you are happy with it/them and comfortable with them. On a totally un-related side note did it take you awhile to adjust to the way the safties operate?
    Aside from the 1911, none of my other carry guns had a thumb safety. My Steyr S9 and S40 had a trigger guard safety so I had no habits to break, so to speak. That being said. I don't carry with the safety on. My first shot will be DA and follow-up shots will be SA.

Its all about what works. My father has an east german makarov that he's madly in love with, and I really like my 24/7 45. Different strokes, different folks. If everyone liked the same thing the gun market would be pretty boring

Any chance of the safety getting bumped to "safe?" You may want to practice sweeping the safety to "fire" just in case it ever does get bumped to "safe."

Nice grips, by the way!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Any chance of the safety getting bumped to "safe?" You may want to practice sweeping the safety to "fire" just in case it ever does get bumped to "safe."
    Both guns use a combination safety/decocker and can
    be fired double action.

I just recently bought my second P-64 btw.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I really like the Polish PA-63, and the grips are really nice on it also.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I believe Hakan makes custom grips for both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

Nice grips, by the way!
    I suppose there is always that chance. I haven't had it happen yet but one never know. Perhaps a simple "feel-check" should be added to my practice draws.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Both guns use a combination safety/decocker and can
    be fired double action.

I just recently bought my second P-64 btw.
    True. They have stout DA triggers that have been tamed somewhat with Wolff springs but still offer as much resistance as a J-frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    I really like the Polish PA-63, and the grips are really nice on it also.
    Thanks, The PA-63 is actually Hungarian while the P64 is Polish and produced in the Radom plant. They both have their advantages. The P64 has size on its side while the PA-63 has a firing pin safety and is lighter. Both guns have chrome lined barrels and are extremely accurate. The PA's grips are made from Sandalwood and come from a gentleman in Thailand. He does amazing work and has great prices to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    I believe Hakan makes custom grips for both of them.
    Good to know. I have been considering a set for the P64. I actually like the stock grips on her though and the ghetto-slip-on-grip I used makes a world of difference in my opinion.

Love the guns, dont like the round they shoot. If they were 9mm they would be(for me) a semi ultimate carry gun.

I'm satisfied with the 9x18 Makarov round. It has served many military personnel, KGB agents and police officers for many many years.

My PA63 has been very good to shoot and I trust the 9x18 ammo.

I have looked for a good IWB holster, but as of yet have not found what works for me effectively.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

The idea of defensive carry is to carry a firearm that works and you trust. It's not about brand, caliber, or opinion. Do what works for you.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    What ever gets you to carry and feels good for you is always the right choice.... if you know you can trust you life with it do it.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Very informative. The PA-63 looks like a good value for the money. I also see you have trimmed the magazine finger grip on the PA-63.

wyo-man

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links