Just picked up an XDM .40

This is a discussion on Just picked up an XDM .40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got back from the local shop with my brand new XDM .40. I decided to go with it over the XD .45 for several ...

Thread: Just picked up an XDM .40

Just picked up an XDM .40

Just got back from the local shop with my brand new XDM .40.

I decided to go with it over the XD .45 for several reasons. One is the capacity. I know the XD .45 holds a good amount, but the .40 obviously holds more. Second, I like the features of the XDM more than the XD - mainly the interchangeable back strap. The XD didn't fit just right in my hand, the XDM does.

I picked up a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster as well. I figure if I can't do what I need to do in 48 (or 49) rounds of .40SW, then I have a SERIOUS operator error, or I am at war with a small army. Either way, I am comfortable with the firepower/capacity ratio I now have.

My first order of business will be to get a set of night sights, and another magazine.

I know but I'm finicky about my photos so give me some time to put something together.

Also the Miami Classic holster I have is VERY tight. I can barely get the firearm out without two hands. Is this something that will get easier with time? I have it in the holster right now, does it just need to expand to get the exact fit?
    Last edited by TacticalSS; January 28th, 2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: overcome with excitement, couldn't spell right

"Laws can't control the lawless"

Christian Gun Owner

2. Remove Ads

I've seen advice and used the following technique to loosen up a tight fitting holster.

Wrap the portion of the pistol that goes into the holster in a plastic bag (I used a zip loc). Slip it into the holster and it tends to stretch it out if you leave it in a while. I'm very cautious to not take this too far. However, if I understand correctly your Miami Classic has a retention strap, so if it's a bit loose that won't jeopardize retention.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Congradulations on becoming a member of the XD family!!!

I know that you will love your new toy, its a VERY nice weapon. And your right about the differences between the XD and the XDm. They look somewhat similuar and have some things in common but after that they are totally different! I still love the XDs, but I carry my XDm40!

As far as your holster goes, try the plastic bag trick, if that is still to tight, try wetting it with a bit of water and placing the gun inside (with bag) for a few hours. (note: only if you have a retention strap!) This WILL loosen up the holster.

Question: Its non of my business but why a shoulder holster?

I ask only because some people that have told me they need a shoulder holster for their XDm is because its a rather large firearm and they dont think they can conceal it IWB or OWB. Thats when I lift my shirt and they are amazed that I carry a XDm IWB and they had no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    I've seen advice and used the following technique to loosen up a tight fitting holster.

Wrap the portion of the pistol that goes into the holster in a plastic bag (I used a zip loc). Slip it into the holster and it tends to stretch it out if you leave it in a while. I'm very cautious to not take this too far. However, if I understand correctly your Miami Classic has a retention strap, so if it's a bit loose that won't jeopardize retention.
    Yes, it does have the strap. I just wrapped it up in a bag and put it in the holster. Hopefully that loosens it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Congradulations on becoming a member of the XD family!!!

I know that you will love your new toy, its a VERY nice weapon. And your right about the differences between the XD and the XDm. They look somewhat similuar and have some things in common but after that they are totally different! I still love the XDs, but I carry my XDm40!

As far as your holster goes, try the plastic bag trick, if that is still to tight, try wetting it with a bit of water and placing the gun inside (with bag) for a few hours. (note: only if you have a retention strap!) This WILL loosen up the holster.

Question: Its non of my business but why a shoulder holster?

I ask only because some people that have told me they need a shoulder holster for their XDm is because its a rather large firearm and they dont think they can conceal it IWB or OWB. Thats when I lift my shirt and they are amazed that I carry a XDm IWB and they had no idea.
    I went with a shoulder holster for several reasons (I've done my research haha, I have reason for everything). First and foremost it seemed to me that due to the fact I'm a larger guy I feel the shoulder holster is more comfortable. I must say, it seems to be a requirement when mentioning your weight, that I'm working on slimming down. To me the shoulder holster is comfortable. I have a USPc .45 with an IWB and I do wear that at times. I plan on getting a IWB for the XDM as well, but I want to get a gun belt for the support.

Do you have night sights on your XDM? Also have you found a cheap place to get magazines? I would like at least one more.

Christian Gun Owner

The bag trick it working. I've loosened up to screw near the trigger guard on the holster and that helps out too.

Thanks for the advice!

Christian Gun Owner

GM
    Congrats to the new XD!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

new xd

congrads to ya on your new family member. ENJOY YOUR NEW TOY.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I pretty much had to flip a coin bwtween the XD and a Glock for my .45. The Glock won, but I'd still like to have a XD (and a M&P and...).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yeah, was gonna tell you there's a screw on the Miami Classic for weapon retention.

Great choice in your pistol, I loved mine, and it did have enough firepower to hold off a small army if needed. I sometimes wish I still had mine, but for me, I wanted something a little smaller for my EDC.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Welcome to the XD club. I just bought my XD-40 sub compact and I have been thoroughly impressed with it. Be sure to give us a range report!!! Congrats.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalSS View Post
    I plan on getting a IWB for the XDM as well, but I want to get a gun belt for the support.

Do you have night sights on your XDM? Also have you found a cheap place to get magazines? I would like at least one more.
    Getting a good quality stiff gunbelt makes all the difference. I recommend the Wilderness Instructor with the CSM insert. This is what I use with my Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. Its comfortable and conceals nicely.

Yes, I have the Trijicon Green/Green SP01 Night Sights. Its for the XD, but works with the XDm. You need to get a sight press if you want to change them yourself. I recommend taking them to a gunsmith. I am waiting for Trijicon to come out with XDm sights. I would buy those and put the SP01 on my XD where they belong.

I have a bunch of mags for my XDm. I really havent shopped around much. They sell them at my range and I get employee discount. They usually run me about $20 per. Shop around, I know Cabalas sells them, for what price is beyond me. xdguys.com sell them too. They are who I go to for after market products for my XDs. Hope it helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Yeah, was gonna tell you there's a screw on the Miami Classic for weapon retention.

Great choice in your pistol, I loved mine, and it did have enough firepower to hold off a small army if needed. I sometimes wish I still had mine, but for me, I wanted something a little smaller for my EDC.
    I loosened up the screw and put in back in with a bag on it last night, so hopefully it's all ready to go. After I loosened the csrew it was MUCH better.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Welcome to the XD club. I just bought my XD-40 sub compact and I have been thoroughly impressed with it. Be sure to give us a range report!!! Congrats.
    Will do on the RR, might be a couple weeks, but it will come!

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Getting a good quality stiff gunbelt makes all the difference. I recommend the Wilderness Instructor with the CSM insert. This is what I use with my Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. Its comfortable and conceals nicely.

Yes, I have the Trijicon Green/Green SP01 Night Sights. Its for the XD, but works with the XDm. You need to get a sight press if you want to change them yourself. I recommend taking them to a gunsmith. I am waiting for Trijicon to come out with XDm sights. I would buy those and put the SP01 on my XD where they belong.

I have a bunch of mags for my XDm. I really havent shopped around much. They sell them at my range and I get employee discount. They usually run me about $20 per. Shop around, I know Cabalas sells them, for what price is beyond me. xdguys.com sell them too. They are who I go to for after market products for my XDs. Hope it helps!
    Thanks, I'll look around at that site! The cheapest I can find mags right now is around $32, but I'm still looking.

Christian Gun Owner

Links