Glock 30 bullets getting crushed

This is a discussion on Glock 30 bullets getting crushed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Glock 30 with rail and I have two 10rd mags for it. When ever I load the mags full you almost cannot ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Glock 30 bullets getting crushed

I have a Glock 30 with rail and I have two 10rd mags for it. When ever I load the mags full you almost cannot seat the magazine with the slide forward and then when you draw the slide back to chamber a round it is very difficult. So I have resorted to loading the magazine with slide back. But even with one chambered and 9 in the magazine I have come to find out recently during some practice that a few of the bullets are getting crushed under another and so misshapen that they will not feed properly. Anyone else experiencing this problem with there Glock 30?
    "Most people respect the badge. Everyone respects the gun."

Choice Freedom, Stay Armed!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've got a G30 (with rail) and I don't have this problem. Are you sure you have 10-rd mags, not the 9-rounders they also have? Sounds a lot like the problem to me.

With 10 rds loaded, it does take a little extra push to seat the mag, but it feeds fine.

The first couple of times I loaded 10 rds into the mags, it was difficult (dang near impossible). I filled them and let them sit over night. (Leaving the mags full will not harm the springs.) Now I can load them by hand, althought too many times and my thumb gets sore.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Nope no problem with mine. Tell us about the ammo you are using. Tell us how old the mags are. How old is the gun? How long has the problem been going on? Have you tried different ammo?
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    All fully loaded Glock mags are quite tight. As the slide moves rearward, there is a ramp that presses the bullets down into the mag. As it moves forward, the front part of the ramp is what pulls the round from the mag and chambers it.

Open your mags and clean them out. If that doesn't help, find a Glock armorer and have them take a look. Glock will replace damaged things for free.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    that is tighter than what i experience...a 10 round loaded mag is difficult to seat with a closed slide in mine but it is possible and the slide although tight against the top round can be racked to chamber the round...i have found that this is lightening up as the mags wear in a bit...i carry with 9 in the mag and 1 chambered...

i have not had an issue with the remaining 9 in the mag getting damaged at all while shooting...a full mag is inserted on an open slide and a click of the slide release chambers the first round without issue...

i have noticed the same situations with the g21 mags i use in the 30 also...full mags tight against the closed slide but when 1 is chambered it lightens right up...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Look at the back your mags. If there isn't a 9 & 10 window on the bottom end, you may have the 9-rd version. Something is seriously wrong from your description.
    jumpwing likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

They are 10rd mags and not 9rd. I am using Federal Hydrashox 230gr for defense ammo. I have had the gun for about 2 years, original mags. The denting has only happened on my defensive loads which are probably about a year old at this point. The mags are always loaded as this is my EDC. Have never really thought to check target ammo when I am at the range. Mags are cleaned with gun after every time we go the range. Just noticed this recently to answer the question as to how long this has been going on.

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    My GLOCK 30 is a few years old, and I basically cannot get a 10 round mag seated with one round already in the chamber. It just won't go in.

So, I load the mag with 10, chamber a round, and carry 9 in the magazine. That is the only way mine will work.

All my magazines are 10 rounders.

Quote Originally Posted by kahrcarrier View Post
    My GLOCK 30 is a few years old, and I basically cannot get a 10 round mag seated with one round already in the chamber. It just won't go in.

So, I load the mag with 10, chamber a round, and carry 9 in the magazine. That is the only way mine will work.

All my magazines are 10 rounders.
    Same problem here, but the issue above is occurring with just 10 rounds in the mag with an unloaded gun.

The Glock 30 mags are infamous for being difficult to load 10 rounds when new. I've never heard of the actual rounds being dented or deformed though.

When I had a 30, I would load a few rounds in the mag and chamber a round then top off the mag to 10 rounds. The mag did loosen up after a while so I could load 10 rounds by hand.

And on a totally unrelated note.... You may want to consider a more modern self defense round than the Federal Hydrashock. Technology has left them behind and there are much better choices available nowadays.

@ mynameisfred

What might you suggest for ammo?

I have the same issue. I left my 10 round mags loladed for a long time to break them in. They never did. I can get 10 rounds in, but I cannot load it into the 30 with 1 in the chamber.

9 + 1 of 185gr +p hydra-shoks is good enough for me. Especially when I have a 21 mag on my support side with 13 more rounds.

The G30 is a great shooter.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by Ionizedsky View Post
    @ mynameisfred

What might you suggest for ammo?
    I'd go with Speer Gold Dots, Winchester Rangers, or Federal HST.

VIP Member
    This is a result of manufacturers trying to cram as many rounds into their firearms as possible.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Is this "Glock Perfection"?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    jumpwing likes this.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links