Looking for a primary

Looking for a primary

This is a discussion on Looking for a primary within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to the forum, and to CC. In fact, I have yet to buy a primary weapon, which is where I need some input. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Looking for a primary

I'm new to the forum, and to CC. In fact, I have yet to buy a primary weapon, which is where I need some input.

I've already considered things such as printing, holsters, and reliability of the gun, but am still undecided as to what would be best for me.

Any thoughts or direction would be greatly appreciated.

i would suggest going to a range that has rental guns, shoot several, and see what fits you best. The deciding factor should be which gun you are most comfortable with. Just my opinion, though.

Every ex-hippie needs a Glock...be sure to hold a bunch of 'em...especially a Glock-36 if you prefer a .45.

Visit some gun shops and start holding a lot of guns...avoid gun shop employee recommendations for the first few visits.
    Soon one of the guns will begin to 'call out your name'...then that's the one.

When you find some models that you like, come on back here and do some sharing.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My best advise for you is to consider buying from a well known, reputable maker. Then, you should find a way to try different guns and compare them. Consider how they fit in your hands, recoil, size, weight, caliber, trigger pull, etc. Also, you should have an idea on how you intend to carry it. You may prefer a revolver v a pistol, but you have to make that decision.

I love my Glock 27. I feel comfortable and proficient with it and I carry it every single day.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Finding a gun is like finding a woman. Look around till you fall in love with one.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Ex-Hippie, are you open to caliber or have you decided which one you'd like to carry?

Are you an experienced handgun shooter, or new to handguns and defensive-distance shooting?

(yes, I have a bias but there are plenty of good reasons to choose any of the 'defense' calibers.)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Every ex-hippie needs a Glock...be sure to hold a bunch of 'em...especially a Glock-36 if you prefer a .45.

Visit some gun shops and start holding a lot of guns...avoid gun shop employee recommendations for the first few visits.
    Soon one of the guns will begin to 'call out your name'...then that's the one.

When you find some models that you like, come on back here and do some sharing.
    So he has something to trade in on a sig.

Glocks? I dunno....Hippies tend to have some aesthetic sense.......
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

First off, welcome to the world of handguns. This is a good place to learn the ins and outs of handguns for self defense.

Keep in mind that if you are like most of us you will not stop at one gun. I started four years ago and I have a dozen today. So if the first gun you buy doesn't seem to be the perfect one for you after you've been together for six months don't despair. There's always another one in your future.

That being said if I was interested in a semi auto I would go with something in 9mm with a plastic frame. The 9mm ammo is inexpensive and the plastic frame makes the gun light weight. The usual suspects are Glocks, Smith and Wesson M&P's or Springfield XD's. These are all fine weapons. If you like revolvers I recommend either a 357 magnum or a 38 special in a J frame size. J frame just means it is a smaller size revolver. I personally don't like the light weight, sometimes referred to as "ultralite" or "airweight," revolvers because shooting them can be painful due to the pronounced recoil. An all steel revolver is heavier and much easier to shoot. The Ruger SP101 or a Smith Wesson snubbie are the best choices for a revolver.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

I agree with retsupt. Glock would be a good first gun because of reliability and price. But a former hippy should consider a black powder somewhere down the road. There is just something about the aroma of pachulie oil and sulfer.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

More background info:

I'm moderately experienced with handling handguns, but don't know much about who's a good manufacturer, etc.. For the home, I have a 9mm XDm and a S&W 357. Like them both at the range, fit well in my hand and easy to control, but they're too bulky for concealment. Was hoping to stay with 9mm for concealment because it's large enough caliber for take down power, and I don't really want to deal with trying to get more than one kind of ammo. Anything else to consider?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    It really depends on your budget and you stated you would like to stick with 9mm. Here are some concealed carry 9mm handguns for you to consider,

Kel Tec PF9
    Kahr PM9
    Springfield Armory XD9 Sub Compact
    Glock 26
    Springfield Armory EMP
    Glock 19
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    So he has something to trade in on a sig.
    +1

Dont get a Glock.

You really need to go to a range and rent a few different styles, calibers, and manufactures. I say dont get a Glock just because someone recommended it. After you have fired a few different ones, GO HOME! Dont buy that day unless you REALLY know whats going to be working very well for you and the price seems right. Go home and do some research on the firearm. Find out how much it is at other places or online, ask us what we think about the firearm, find out about reliability, and ease of concealment.

VIP Member
    I won't say "don't buy a Glock".

I am NOT a fan of Glock, I don't find them to be comfortable, or reliable. But most trust their reliability. I don't like a trigger safety, and don't prefer DAO guns.

The reason I won't say don't get a Glock is that these are all just MY opinions. Yours may be different. Try lots of guns, find out what MOA you like and what you don't. I would recommend renting/borrowing as many dirrerent guns as you can get your hands on.

For me, the best 9mms are the Sig P228, and the Sig P239.

Find out what you like. (And let us know)
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links