OLDER S&W Mdl 442 and +P's??

This is a discussion on OLDER S&W Mdl 442 and +P's?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, When I search the Web I get consistently conflicting answers to the "can I fire an OLDER , non-Airweight S&W Model 442 with ...

Thread: OLDER S&W Mdl 442 and +P's??

Question OLDER S&W Mdl 442 and +P's??

Hi All,

When I search the Web I get consistently conflicting answers to the "can I fire an OLDER, non-Airweight S&W Model 442 with .38SPL +P's" .

In other words, the question is: I continually see that the current S&W Model 442 "Airweight" model is rated for .38SPL +P ammo. However, I have an older (w/out an internal lock) Model 442 that is not marked anywhere on the gun that it is an "Airweight", and is also not marked "+P" either (it states on my barrel only ".38 S. & W. SPL."). It is about 15 years old or so. (Serial Number BPM60xx).

So, were all S&W 442's built to shoot +P rounds, or only the newer "Airweights"?

Thanks!

-Bill

2. Remove Ads

you should post this on the S&W forum. I'm not sure when they switched to Magnum frames on the J's. If you don't have the reinforced area in front of the cylinder release than I wouldn't put +p in it.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Bill,

I had the same question about my 642 and emailed S&W. They responded telling me that it was +P rated even though it is not marked on the barrel. You might want to email them your serial number and ask the same.

Here is a link to my original post.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-p-barrel.html
    Proud NRA member

Either way, i like 110 gr. Winchester Silvertips non +P better than anything else in a gun this light. Just an opinion.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    I had the same question about my 642 and emailed S&W. They responded telling me that it was +P rated even though it is not marked on the barrel. You might want to email them your serial number and ask the same.
    Agreed. Go straight to the source.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks guys. I just emailed S&W and asked. But either way I am sick of the brutal +P recoil in such a light gun (even normal .38's are NO fun for me in a 15oz revolver), so I am on a waiting list to purchase the virtually unavailable Hornady 'Critical Defense' .38SPL low recoil rounds.

+P .38's just seem to literally shake my bones to their core with the 442, and I am not that small (6' 1" at 155 pounds -- and I use the comfy Hogue Monogrips too). I can't imagine how a petite woman could do it, but I'm probably far too recoil sensitive.

-Bill

I posed the same question to S&W years ago for a mod 60. It will generate increased wear - not for regular use - but will handle it on limited occassions. They did not recommend it but did not say not to do it. They just would not be responsible for the excess wear.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

VIP Member
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Thanks Paul45, I suspected that that may be the case.

Thanks GunnyBunny, but it looks like those low recoil HydroShoks are on backorder too! (If I were a paranoid type, I'd almost think that the lack of available ammo on the marketplace was some kind of idiotic conspiracy! Whether it is or not, it sure wizzes me off ).

-Bill

VIP Member
    Looks like it's in stock here..............

Show Search Results

Probably other places too. Midway was the first place I looked just to show you the product.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    I posed the same question to S&W years ago for a mod 60. It will generate increased wear - not for regular use - but will handle it on limited occassions. They did not recommend it but did not say not to do it. They just would not be responsible for the excess wear.
    That was the answer I got on my 1962 steel frame bodyguard. I carry +P for defensive carrying, but practice with standard 38s. The repeated regular use can present issues, but not occasionally.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links