Different Generations of Glock? Explain

This is a discussion on Different Generations of Glock? Explain within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi - I have decided to purcahse a Glock 26. Maybe used. I have noticed there is a lot of conversation about Generations 1, 2, ...

Thread: Different Generations of Glock? Explain

Different Generations of Glock? Explain

Hi - I have decided to purcahse a Glock 26. Maybe used. I have noticed there is a lot of conversation about Generations 1, 2, 3, 4. Can someone give me a run down on the differences, how to tell them apart, is there a generation to avoid, and what is being currently manufactured and currently being sold? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Was wondering the same question lately. :subscribing:

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Ok, i'll give it a go since i've been a Glock owner for many years. If I get anything wrong, please correct me.

Generation one Glocks were, of course, the first to come out. The compact and sub-compact models like the 26 and 19 were not invented yet, so there are no Gen 1 versions of them, only the full size frames like the the 17 and 21 and the long frame competition model 34. They are characterized mainly by smooth grips with no finger grooves.

Gen 2 Glocks added the sub-compacts, and later the compacts like the 26, and also updated the 34 to the 35 (40 s&w). This is also where we saw the introduction of the class 3 Glock 18. They mainly differ in that they have stippling/checkering on the grip. Gen 2 pistols also include a small selection of "slim" single stack models, as well as the introduction of a different stippling pattern choice (forget what it's called), and frame color choices of black, OD green and desert tan.

Gen 3 Glocks added the light/laser rail to the forward "dust cover" area of the frame, as well as finger grooves. I believe the frame color choice continued, but is harder to get now.

Gen 4 Glocks are rumored to start shipping in April/May of this year. Specs are not available, but if Glock history tells us anything they will be 100% backward compatible with earlier Gen models (i.e. cosmetic changes only, for the most part). There are rumors of interchangeable backstraps, ambi mag releases, etc., but nobody truly knows for sure yet, as the only ones being shown are prototypes.

There is no Glock models you need to "avoid", as they're one of the best designed, most reliable pistols ever invented. The entire gun consists of only 35 parts, and can be completely dissassembled (not just field stripped) with a proper sized punch. If you know what you're doing, a trigger job (mostly a "smoothing") can be done in 15 minutes with a small stone, and a complete, lighter job can be done in 3 more minutes by first installing the 3 lb. connector.

About the only thing you need to take into consideration when looking for used Glocks is the obvious - The earlier the generation, the more it's been used. It's a compromise between price and condition. But that's the case any time you look something used.

Hope this helps.
    "Anybody who deserves to be shot, deserves to be shot alot." - Clint Smith

Good choice on the Glock 26. It's my favorite small carry gun.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

1st generation smooth grip no finger grooves no rails
    2nd generation textured grip no finger grooves no rails
    3rd generation textured grip finger grooves accessory rails

The 4th generation (current)....I think we all know by now what they entail as far as sweeping changes. New grip/frame, new recoil system, interchangeable back straps, larger mag release, etc....... the 4th generation Glocks should not be confused with the RTF2 or whatever could be considered in the midst of or generation 3.5.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyd View Post
    Hi - I have decided to purcahse a Glock 26. Maybe used. I have noticed there is a lot of conversation about Generations 1, 2, 3, 4. Can someone give me a run down on the differences, how to tell them apart, is there a generation to avoid, and what is being currently manufactured and currently being sold? Thanks.
    I asked the same question about Glocks for a few days ago in other thread (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1467626).
    I called the Glock U.S Headquarters - GLOCK, Inc., 6000 Highlands Parkway, Smyrna, GA 30082, USA, Tel.: 770 - 432 1202, Fax.: 770 - 433 8719 – and asked about how to identify the G36s generations. The answer I got was that they do not classify their weapons by generations, and that it is something only used on the Internet. However, if using that classification all guns manufactured after 1998 are 3rd generation. Fingergrooves and accessory rail were added to some models manufactured in 1998 and after, but not to all of them. The G36 came out January 1999 and does not have accessory rail. G26 is other of the models that do not have accessory rails.
    I should make a little change to the information above posted (concerning 3rd generation):

1st generation smooth grip no finger grooves no rails
    2nd generation textured grip no finger grooves no rails
    3rd generation textured grip finger grooves; accessory rails were added to some models, but not to all of them.

If you are going to get a used gun then there is a possibility that you could get a 1st or 2nd generation; I should not get any of them. I do not know about the G26, but it looks like early G36s had problems (you can find information about this on the Internet).
    Last edited by GM; January 30th, 2010 at 07:17 AM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by ktphotog View Post
    Ok, i'll give it a go since i've been a Glock owner for many years. If I get anything wrong, please correct me.

Generation one Glocks were, of course, the first to come out. The compact and sub-compact models like the 26 and 19 were not invented yet, so there are no Gen 1 versions of them, only the full size frames like the the 17 and 21 and the long frame competition model 34. They are characterized mainly by smooth grips with no finger grooves.

Gen 2 Glocks added the sub-compacts, and later the compacts like the 26, and also updated the 34 to the 35 (40 s&w). This is also where we saw the introduction of the class 3 Glock 18. They mainly differ in that they have stippling/checkering on the grip. Gen 2 pistols also include a small selection of "slim" single stack models, as well as the introduction of a different stippling pattern choice (forget what it's called), and frame color choices of black, OD green and desert tan.

Gen 3 Glocks added the light/laser rail to the forward "dust cover" area of the frame, as well as finger grooves. I believe the frame color choice continued, but is harder to get now.

Gen 4 Glocks are rumored to start shipping in April/May of this year. Specs are not available, but if Glock history tells us anything they will be 100% backward compatible with earlier Gen models (i.e. cosmetic changes only, for the most part). There are rumors of interchangeable backstraps, ambi mag releases, etc., but nobody truly knows for sure yet, as the only ones being shown are prototypes.

There is no Glock models you need to "avoid", as they're one of the best designed, most reliable pistols ever invented. The entire gun consists of only 35 parts, and can be completely dissassembled (not just field stripped) with a proper sized punch. If you know what you're doing, a trigger job (mostly a "smoothing") can be done in 15 minutes with a small stone, and a complete, lighter job can be done in 3 more minutes by first installing the 3 lb. connector.

About the only thing you need to take into consideration when looking for used Glocks is the obvious - The earlier the generation, the more it's been used. It's a compromise between price and condition. But that's the case any time you look something used.

Hope this helps.
    3rd generation added textured grip finger grooves; accessory rails were added to some models, but not to all of them (see my earlier post, #6).

You perhaps want to read this following threads:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...dy-coming.html

New Gen 4 G17 - Issue at the range - Glock Talk

Glock did have some problems before.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Gen 4 - Glocks attempt to not be outdone by the M&P GOOD LUCK.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Mic
    ktphotog said it best
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Links