Which Gun for Woods

This is a discussion on Which Gun for Woods within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which gun would you rather have for all-around protection while hunting, camping, hiking, outdoors, etc. Black bear is the biggest concern....

View Poll Results: Which handgun for outdoors/woods carry against blackbear

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 rounds of 10mm

35 29.91%
  • 6 rounds of 44mag

82 70.09%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Gun for Woods

Which Gun for Woods

Which gun would you rather have for all-around protection while hunting, camping, hiking, outdoors, etc. Black bear is the biggest concern.

2. Remove Ads

5.5" Ruger Redhawk...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    5.5" Ruger Redhawk...
    That would my 1st choice... or maybe a Super Blackhawk
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I voted for the 10rds of 10mm only because of the round count. If you had more .44mag than 6rds then that one would have won my vote. I dont just look at being attacked by a black bear, I look at it as survival. The more rounds I have, the more I eat the longer I survive. And I can use it to signal someone looking for me. As for knocking down a black bear, the .44mag would be ideal, however, 10mm will put him down too with a head shot.

When I go into the woods, this is what I carry. I carry my EDC (XDm40) with 49rds on my belt and another box in my pack. I mag lighter, whistle, compass, steel wool, K-Bar, folder, iodine tablets, mirror, and a small bundle of fishing tackle (line, hooks, a few splitshots, maybe a lure.) All this goes in a pack that goes on my belt. My pack goes over it nicely. This way, if I fall or need to loose my pack for some reason, I have everything I need on my belt and its not going anywhere.

Sorry, got on a run there...

I should have added 15rds of 10mm

Jeez, I thought you meant Tiger Woods. I voted 6rds of .44 magnum.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

kpw
    If a blackie is really coming fast, I'd be lucky to get 1 or 2 shots off no matter what I had. Give me my new 4 5/8" SS SBH. Funny thing is, I'm usually packing a 9mm or .45 when I'm out in the woods.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

The one you shoot better...
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

Tough choice. The .44 has it won on sheer power, but there are loads for the 10mm that will penetrate a large bear from tongue to bung. Hiigh round count and fast reload is also a big plus since most of your problems will likely involve two-legged snakes.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

When trying to stop a 4 legged vs 2 legged threat you need power.

2 legged threats tend to understand that they have been shot (unless drugged up or totally insane) and either fall down or stop becoming a threat.

The 4 legged threat doesn't know it has been shot. It feels pain but it most often will not understand that you (its prey) is the cause. You have to STOP the threat with raw knockdown power.

When I was out and about in bear country I used handloaded 240 - 300 grain
    semi jacketed soft points that came out of my 8" .44 mag at about 1100fps.

OMO

bosco

I hunt Black Bear, ether pistol will do the job. It's best to know the bears vitals & where to place the kill shots. I've hit them with 180grs from a 308 & chased a wounded pissed off animal for miles.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I voted 10mm based on round count, 44 mag would be better but it's nice having more rounds than you may need.

joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

i carry a .357 mag with 180gr flat nose buffalo bore rounds. Lots of bear,moose and cougars up here. I know .357 mag isn't exactly a bear stopper but with those rounds I feel I stand a pretty good chance. In the near future I plan on getting a .44 for the woods but for now I'm comfortable carrying .357 mag for yogi.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I voted 44 Mag but most of time I have my 4 5/8" Freedom Arms 454 Casull in a crossdraw holster for Woods / Hunting type situations.

Bear spray and awareness of how to prevent and defuse bear encounters is far more useful.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links