OK.. Why Do Some Carry Without One In The Chamber..?

This is a discussion on OK.. Why Do Some Carry Without One In The Chamber..? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why is it some of us carry without one in the chamber ? Unfortunately, I've had a few scenarios over the years in which I ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Why is it some of us carry without one in the chamber ?

Unfortunately, I've had a few scenarios over the years in which I would have never been able to rack a slide. The encounters were unannounced and too close for comfort, say under 10'.

It's comforting to know that you are ready for what ever occurs and have confidence in what your carrying to stop the threat immediately.

So let's be honest, fess up here and come to grips with it.......why are you carrying a gun......IMO..."Unloaded".

There's only one answer. People are not comfortable with a round in the chamber. They can either fix this through training or buying a gun they are comfortable with carrying loaded.

I have never carried without one in the chamber. It doesn't make sense to me and it's another thing to worry about when you need the gun. None of my guns have a safety either (Kahr, Glock, etc.).

I dont know...There are some that do but it makes me scratch my head as to why.

I would never not have my pistol with round chambered / Cocked and Locked

I trust my guns and my abilities,Most people that carry unchambered are new to handguns and carrying a loaded gun off the gun range IMHO,they have a fear that a bump or jar is gonna cause their gun to go bang,and they think they will have time to chamber a bullet if they need to.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Seeing someone carrying a 1911 "cocked and locked" used to make me nervous. It no longer does. I've learned to trust the mechanical safeties and, of course, the only REAL safety - the one between your ears. I carry my revolvers with a full cylinder and my pistols with a chambered round. As the OP mentioned - you may not have time or that off hand available to rack a round.

Distinguished Member
    I should probably just shut up here but, I can't, so:

1) *They* have recently switched from a revolver to a pistol. They took classes (ccw, home defense, basic handgun, etc etc) with the revolver, not the pistol, so *perhaps* they were not paying 100% attention when the instructor was reviewing the condition that a pistol should be carried in.

2) *They* have not purchased or found the right holster/carry method yet. A softsided carrier might not provide the stability that the user would find with a harder plastic or leather holster.

3) *They* think it's safer, until they ask a pool of about a jillion people the question and then they are given logical good informed answers that convince them that it's really not safer at all.

4) *They* have not yet had the epiphany at the range yet with the first 200 rounds of the new pistol, pulling the slide back then shooting and realizing that within the 21', you will never get that done. They can then run this by people in the know and find out that, yes, that is too difficult to do and senseless and keeping one in the chamber is the only safe and effective way to carry.

By rethinking the holster, retaking classes that are more pistol oriented rather than revolver, educating themselves by asking long time carry people about methodologies and reasoning for chambering pistols, and adding in additional street skills courses, I think that *these people* can solve this problem.

I used to feel that I needed a manual safety.I switched over from a s&w 908w/safety to a s&w 6946 DAO.The trigger pull on the 6946 is just like a revolver.I think ones first gun for ccw should be a revolver to get the thought out of their head.My dad used to say keep your finger off the switch till it's time! I always carry one in the pipe

Because they are afraid of their guns, and do not really believe "it could happen to them." There is no benefit and significant drawbacks, but everyone is free to do as they wish I suppose. Here is a post that sums up my feelings nicely. Taken from TFL.

I've actually moved past condition three, and into condition seven, skipping four through six without even pausing.

For those not familiar, condition seven is where I carry a pistol's slide, my wife carries the frame and my adult son carries the magazine. With a little practice, I can be ready to defend us in only a little over two minutes.

Still, I'm a bit hesitant about having the weapon so very nearly assembled. We're discussing moving to condition thirty seven, which is where I carry the slide, my wife carries the frame, my adult son carries the unloaded magzine and we don't carry any ammo at all, hoping that in an emergency some passer-by will have spare 9mm to lend. Anybody else using this?

Didn't cowboy's do such a thing for safety reasons. Who in the world would do that today? I'm unaware of any instructors teaching that method. It's stupid! Today's handguns have safeties, decockers. The military and cops don't do it. Lock and load.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jacket View Post
    Didn't cowboy's do such a thing for safety reasons. Who in the world would do that today? I'm unaware of any instructors teaching that method. It's stupid! Today's handguns have safeties, decockers. The military and cops don't do it. Lock and load.
    While it is true that the chamber under the hammer was empty due to the lack of a hammer block, the revolver was still just as ready for action as one loaded with six.

Well, we haven't heard from anyone that carries -1 in the chamber yet....C'mon.......You'll feel better discussing it, I'm sure.

We're wanting to hear from someone who carries this way so we can understand the real facts here.........

I used to think that I might have an "accident" and kill my husband in my sleep or something else like a simple quarrel. I was scared I might kill him...I started carrying chambered one day at a time until I feel comfortable. It takes patience, practice and confidence in your ability to carry safely especially for me who wasn't really raised up with guns.

Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

they are afraid of their guns must be the reason. training and range time will help.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The "cowboys'" empty chamber in a sixgun is actually the LAST chamber upon which the hammer will fall. As the hammer is cocked, the cylinder rotates; it is the chamber to the left of the hammer that is fired first, so as naking stated, the sixgun is ready for action. My sixguns with such traditional mechanisms are carried with an empty chamber under the hammer, because a blow to the hammer could allow enough protrusion to fire a cartridge. My modern revolvers's cylinders are fully loaded, and my autoloading pistols are carried with a cartridge in the chamber.

I pocket-carry a small .45 auto, and normally carry with chamber empty. My "justification" is that I live in a very low-crime area.

And I also have some (probably unjustified) concerns that the gun may somehow go off accidentally. I really don't think it ever would, but if I don't have to take that chance, then I won't.

I often practice draw, rack and fire. I am relatively close to this guy in speed YouTube - fastest gun draw from concealed carry , so IMHO I think that's fast enough. I know there are plenty who disagree, and that's fine. Thankfully, there is no law (yet) about carrying with (or without) a round in the chamber, lol........

Also, when pocket carrying, I can have the pistol fully IN MY HAND and still outwardly appear very non-threatening. I mean, I'm just a guy with his hands in his pockets. So that gives me an advantage should the need arise. Again, just MHO.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links