For those who carry 10mm

This is a discussion on For those who carry 10mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the market for a CW . I am undecided in the cal. I like .45 for being "tried and ture" but im ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who carry 10mm

For those who carry 10mm

I am in the market for a CW . I am undecided in the cal. I like .45 for being "tried and ture" but im still leaning towards the 10mm for the "not everyone uses it and I like to be different" factor.. Is that a bad factor to go by? So my question is for those of you that carry a 10mm , is overpenetraion a worry of yours should you ever have to use it? Or with the use of good quality expanding ammo it should stop in one "object" and not go anyfuther. any thoughts?

thanks for the help

bd

2. Remove Ads

Keep in mind the "not everyone uses it and I like to be different" factor could play against you. 10mm ammunition isn't easy to find where I live and if I recall correctly, it's not particularly cheap either.

.45 ACP isn't cheap either, but at least it is easy to find locally. My thoughts. I'd go with .45 ACP.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

The ammo is not as common as .45, so be prepared to buy online.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

thanks guys for the quick reply and your concern on the ammo and giving me a heads up .. but i understand that it may be tough to find at some times but not to be hard headed or anything like that .. there are like 200 gun shops here in houston and I can think of 50 that have 10mm in stock right now including HP's and then theres ammo engine to help me find anything I cant find , I would just like to stay on topic of the original question because that is my biggest concern right now . thanks guys for all your help and understanding

bd

10mm all the way. I have a Glock 29 and a Glock 21 with a 20 barrel for it. I am in the process of getting a G-20 slide from Lonewolf right now.

I do reload......that being said, I have not always been a re-loader. I started about two years ago, and I don't see any reason why anyone can't pick up the hobby.

You should check with Cabelas in Houston to see if they offer any classes. I know they do offer one at the one here in KC.

With the proper ammo, I'm not worried about over penetration. Great thing about a Glock in 10mm (if you go that route), is that you can get conversion barrels to shoot cheaper .40 SW if you don't want to get into reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    shoot cheaper .40 SW if you don't want to get into reloading.
    thanks for the info .. and i forgot to mention that I do reload .40 and .45 already and would be able to use the same .40 dies for 10mm as well .. thats another reason that I would like to give the 10mm a chance.. I would just have to find some cases ..and reload to the same specs as my carry load and viloa I could have a cheap practice round thats the same as my factory load . thanks again

bd

I think if you can handle the recoil to the point where you can get fast, multiple hits on target, by all mean go for it. I think it's a great round and I really would never worry about over-penetration to the point where it stopped me from carrying a particular round. I have yet to find a documented case of over-penetration being a factor in a by-standers death. Sure, an errant round has caused a few, but haven't seen any cases of over-penetration.

A good hollowpoint will do everything you need. The nice thing is, you can download them for extended range sessions and competition, if you're in to that sort of thing.

For me, I find the .40 a little to hot for what I need, but love the .45. 10mm is even more hot that the .40, so I tend to not enjoy it as much as I do 9mm and .45. Heck of a man-stopper though as pistols go.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I recently purchased a Glock 20, I think the issue of ammo is a bit overdone. while agree you cant always find it in local gun store it is readily available on line.

The 20 in my night stand gun and i'm not overly concerned about penetration; with the right ammo i think you will be ok.

I do understand the desire to be different and a 10mm will do just that.
    Glock 36, 20, 30, 29, PX4 Storm SC 9mm, Colt Delta Elite, Colt Agent, Sig C3, Kimber CDP 2, Firestar 40

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth" - George Washington
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun." - Jeff Cooper

The "being different" factor should not be as important as the "being accurate" factor. You didn't say whether you had ever used a 10 -- or the same one you wanted to buy. I think you should try, then buy (no different than if you were trying to decide between a Glock and an XD).

GM
    It sounds to me like you already have made your mind. If a 10mm works for you then go for it; only you can tell which gun works for you. Just be aware that “being different" factor can and will imply some negative things too; things that you will have to deal with.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Either one will get the job done. I have both and like both.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

When buying ammo keep in mind most manufacturers load it to 40S&W specs, caveat emptor. Can be good for practice if it's cheaper, or just buy a conversion barrel - will pay for itself fairly quickly, my 9 conversion for my G23 did. Orrrrr, if you get a 40, DoubleTap makes a 200 gr WFNGC, JHP, or FMJ-Flat Point 40 @ 1100 fps - damn near what the 10 mm is famous for.

if you like the 10mm...go for it....

as far as finding ammo.....hell, i have a Glock 19 and buy ALL my 9mm ammo online........there are five gunshops within a five mile radius of me and none of them stock good 9mm ammo.....just fmj :(

I carry a G29.

You can buy all your ammo online for much cheaper than the stores so you will end up buying online no matter what.

The recoil is not as bad as people make it out to be, even in a sub compact.

I use Double Tap ammo with Speer Gold Dot bullets as my defensive round. They are loaded HOT! Google "Double Tap ammo" to see their selection. Fair prices too.

Good choice.
    Why do you own a fire extinguisher when you have the fire department to protect you?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Dirty Harry Shot a .44 Mag. and he was never worried about overpenetration.
    Highway Patrolmen carried .41 Mags for years and no one ever worried about over penetration.
    Why do most of the forums about .380 and 9mm worry about underpenetration? Then people say go bigger for more penetration.

Some people. Pay $1000+ for a gun then complain about how expensive the ammo is and won't shoot it. Go figure.

I say, if you want the 10mm (and why not?), then go for it. Pay $500 for a Glock, get $500 worth of ammo and hit the range. You're way ahead of the game.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links