Looking to upgrade 1911's, need advice

This is a discussion on Looking to upgrade 1911's, need advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm about to have roughly $1000 to spend on a new 1911 and I've narrowed my choices down to a few. Now I need ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to upgrade 1911's, need advice

Looking to upgrade 1911's, need advice

So I'm about to have roughly $1000 to spend on a new 1911 and I've narrowed my choices down to a few. Now I need help deciding which one. My requirements are very simple.... it needs to be a 1911with nights sights, and that's about it. I'm not looking for a full size since they are a little to big and heavy for CCW. My main interests are the EMP in .40, Kimber's compact line (4" barrel w/officer's grip), or any lighter weight, smaller sized 1911's. I do want to stay away from any models with reliablility issues such as some of the 3" types. I currently have a High Standard Compact Crusader w/ a 3.5" barrel, and it's a great gun, I'm just looking to get a nicer gun. I was thinking the EMP since I already have a good compact .45. I also already have a good supply of carry ammo for both, and I reload for both, so it's really a toss up. Looking forward to suggestions.

2. Remove Ads

The Colt New Agent also is very interesting to me since I don't believe sights would do anything for you at self defense ranges (< 21ft) anyway. I know it violates my nights sight rule, but oh well.

JD
    Administrator
    Be advised that the Springfield EMP in .40 is steel framed and not as light as the others, I don't have anything nice to say about Kimbers, so I'm not going to say anything at all.

I saw the 33 oz weight, that's pretty much the same as my current 1911. I've noticed that quite a few people have sore spots for Kimbers.

I love my old, original series Kimbers. The Compact is a wonderful combinaton of a 4" barrel and officer size frame. I prefer the all-stainless, but there are alloy frames too. You can still find these around. The original Kimbers were much better built than today's models.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I'd look at a Dan Wesson CBOB maybe. I'd look at a Kimber go "that's pretty" then put it down and RUN the other way. IMO, the 1911 was meant to be a .45 and the EMP doesn't do it for me. But, since they put all the work in to making all those new parts for the EMP that they will take the time to fit them properly as well, but maybe not.

Wow alot of Kimber bashing, why all the hatred
    I have a UC2 (3 inch) with night sights & CTC grips, was actually the 1st Kimber i bought, i have like 900 rounds through it & it runs like a champ
    In fact it liked it so much i bought a Eclipse Target 2 (5 inch) as well so i'd have that beautiful fullsize to play with & show off too, only 200 rounds & so far so good as well
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Second the Dan Wesson CBOB

Quote Originally Posted by adaman04 View Post
    I'd look at a Dan Wesson CBOB maybe. I'd look at a Kimber go "that's pretty" then put it down and RUN the other way. IMO, the 1911 was meant to be a .45 and the EMP doesn't do it for me. But, since they put all the work in to making all those new parts for the EMP that they will take the time to fit them properly as well, but maybe not.
    I have a DW CBOB and for a production gun at a price point of around $1000k, its worth every cent. The price you pay for a Kimber or Springfield does not compare to that of DW. I have an Ed Brown and the DW uses some Ed Brown parts. My friend has the EMP and he had to send it back to factory because the slide would not come off! The gun still fired(weird), but he couldn't get the slide off to clean or lube the gun. Since then, he's in the process of waiting for the gun to be repaired. He has since told me that he wishes he bought a different gun. He is now looking the DW.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim_45 View Post
    Wow alot of Kimber bashing, why all the hatred
    I have a UC2 (3 inch) with night sights & CTC grips, was actually the 1st Kimber i bought, i have like 900 rounds through it & it runs like a champ
    In fact it liked it so much i bought a Eclipse Target 2 (5 inch) as well so i'd have that beautiful fullsize to play with & show off too, only 200 rounds & so far so good as well
    I'm glad they worked out for you. My main gripe with Kimber is the warranty. ONE YEAR??? If you build a quality product, stand behind it. If you aren't willing to stand behind it, get out of the market. Kimber makes a good pistol, but I think there are better options with better warranties and better customer service for less money (Springfield comes to mind...). JMHO
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I've got a new blue Colt Commander and it may not be as pretty as a new Kimber, but the things shoots like a champ. Reliable as can be...I've started using good grease on it, and it feeds 185-gr. Golden Sabers just fine. Heavy but flat and easy to conceal with a good pancake holster.

kpw
    I keep going back and looking at the STI Ranger II. My dealer quoted $985 for plain black sights. NS would run another $65.

STI International - The STI
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

In that price range, the Dan Wesson C-Bob is the one I want. A lot of gun for the money and it looks really nice, too.

Kimber is about to release there new bobtail Super Carry models for 2010

“Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Kimber is about to release there new bobtail Super Carry models for 2010

******!!! I thought I was through buying guns for a while.

YMMV

Lon

I've had good luck with Kimbers and my friends have had good luck with Kimbers. That's what I'll keep buying and recommending.

That Super Carry Pro is next on the list...hopefully!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links