How do you weigh the factors in carry choice?

This is a discussion on How do you weigh the factors in carry choice? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've actually been thinking about this because of some debates in other forums about SxS vs pump shotguns for home defense. Doubles have a lot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've actually been thinking about this because of some debates in other forums about SxS vs pump shotguns for home defense. Doubles have a lot of advantages: shorter, lighter, point better, can be operated one handed, can have two different loads and chokes available at once, can still be used if a mechanical failure renders one side inoperable, and probably others I'm forgetting. Pumps have: capacity. And yet, many people see that single criteria (capacity) and believe it automatically trumps all others.

I realized that this reflects the diversity of options in what we carry. We each consider the various categories, decide what is important to us, then rate pistols based on the things most important to us. So what are these factors?

Size (width, height, length), weight, caliber, capacity, reported reliability, action type (revolver or slide gun), firing system (SA, DA, striker etc), controls, grip size and angle, able to be comfortably fired one handed, and a bunch of others that imho are either less important or can be altered easily. Or that I'm forgetting. :)

So what do you value most? Are you a "one issue voter" that will carry whatever is smallest/lightest/highest capacity/most powerful, or do you set certain minimums and maximums then looks at the criteria?

There is no right or wrong choices here: I'm just interested in seeing what people value and why.

I have to admit (even if I am the only one) that any of the guns I currently own are better than no gun and I am comfortable with all of them from the shotgun to the rifle and pistol that I honestly believe are suitable in my sitiuation as a viable option as a home defense weapon as well as even my kershaw tanto blur if need be as I have had plenty of time with each. As far as carry weapon I find myself more than likely to grab my ruger mk2 as it has never failed me,even though it is a .22lr i feel safe when it is near as weird as that sounds.

Roosterbob

I'm not made of money, so I'm pretty choosy about the guns I do buy. Whether for carrying outside of the home, or in the home, these are the things I consider in order of most, to least important:
    1. Reliability (I don't want to have to use the gun as a club)
    2. Caliber (need plenty of stopping power, but not so much that the gun is hard to control.)
    3. Magazine Capacity (and number of additional magazines needed)
    4. Price
    Last edited by ExHippie; January 31st, 2010 at 01:21 AM. Reason: typo

I am not comfortable carrying any handgun that is so compromised in design or execution that I wouldn't actually want to fight with it.

Most of the popular stunted concealed carry offerings don't suit.

1. How familiar I am with it (competent, have shot it a lot)
    2. Reliablility
    3. Caliber (at least 9mm Luger in autos and 38 Special in revolvers)
    4. Size
    5. Capacity

I dont care about the action type as I am carrying either a Hi Power or a J Frame. The Hi Power is SAO and the J is DAO. Just pull the trigger. The BHP has a safety which I dont see as an advantage or a disadvantage just something to learn to use.

Can I shoot it well?

Is it stone cold reliable?

These are the biggies for me to carry and are about equal in importance.

After those two the rest is gravy.

kpw
    1. Reliability, it's got to work

2. Shootability, how well can I shoot it in defensive scenarios. Not just paper punching.

3. Concealability, can I conceal it well enough with my everyday attire and not look like I'm trying to hide a football.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

If I still have my guns, my .40c in winter is good as my primary carry and my BUG is a 9mm. In summer it is the other way around.
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

My criteria is some what subjective. I choose a snubbie in 38 special most of the time for CCW; the caliber is suitable, I am comfortable with the platform (ergonomics), it carries comfortably, it is reliable and I really don't buy into the super high capacity need for a civilian CCW. I am sure many can make objective arguments that my choice is not the best one, but I am happy with my choice. In the house I go a different way and use 1911's, Kahr, Glock so I am not a revolver snob.

For a HD shotgun I am, as with my HD Pistols, a little more objective and use the 870; it has been the gold standard of modern SD shotguns for 30 years and I have never had any of my 870 sporting shotguns fail me. Just as a side note; of the many two barreled sporting shotguns I use I have had multiple failures.
    Last edited by sabre03; January 31st, 2010 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post

2. Shootability, how well can I shoot it in defensive scenarios. Not just paper punching.

3. Concealability, can I conceal it well enough with my everyday attire and not look like I'm trying to hide a football.
    I can't say it any better!!
    Question Everything!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post

Well said. My favorite carry gun is my 686+, with 7 rounds of .357 I don't feel the least bit under gunned. My second choice, my Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II, it gives me one more round without reloading, but I shoot the revolver better and less possible mechanical issues. If I have to carry something tiny(usually only on rare dressy occasions) I'll carry my Model 36 snubbie. Fourth choice, and hardest to conceal is my Model 29, no chance of being under gunned with that one.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

1. Reliability - most important
    2. Accuracy
    3. Power
    4. Capacity
    5. Concealability - least important

2,3,4 must balance out. This being said I carry a G22.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

Reliability first, all other factors are a gift...Glock!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Balog View Post
    So what do you value most? Are you a "one issue voter" that will carry whatever is smallest/lightest/highest capacity/most powerful, or do you set certain minimums and maximums then looks at the criteria?
    I suppose I set some basic min/max parameters, search for a handful of firearms that meet the need, then compare and evaluate each of them in the group in order to reach a final choice.

As for which criteria, some of the criteria that matter most to me include: reliability, ability to reach/manipulate the controls, ability to conceal (size), support in the after-market.

The last time I ran through a choice, I wanted a primary house and carry gun with exceptional reliability, < 7" OAL, < 1.2" width, 10+ rounds capacity, good support in the after-market (holsters, gunsmiths). Result was the CZ P-01 9mm semi-auto. Most-recently, I did the same thing, ratcheting down the specs a bit, resulting in < 6.5" OAL, < 1.2" width, 10+ rds, lefty/ambidextrous controls, good support ... the HK P2000SK.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You mean how do I choose what to carry that day? Or any day?
    I mean I pretty much stick with a main carry choice no matter what, but there are those days when I just feel like carrying something different. Bottom line for me is reliability. That's number one. The only other factor that weighs in is my ability to integrate with my choice, and operate it effectively.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links