Walther PPK/S adequate for carry?

This is a discussion on Walther PPK/S adequate for carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Stick with .38 and above. Most say 9MM and above, but you can get a great used .38 snub. You will have to practice with ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPK/S adequate for carry?

Stick with .38 and above. Most say 9MM and above, but you can get a great used .38 snub. You will have to practice with it though and load with good ammo.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    unless Chris convinces me that the Bersa is a good enough weapon.
    Steve - if thinking .380 I can only reiterate that the Bersa is certainly well worthy of consideration - particularly re value - at around $219.

That vs PPK is a bit apples and oranges but each has its merits. I have been responsible for getting three now - one for myself originally which wife now has, another for a lady biker friend of ours and finally when my step-daughter turned 21 - same for her.

Although I think it is eminently suitable for ladies, I actually enjoy shooting the lil' fella mysefl any time - just like the feel even tho i have large hands.

Best thing is - get your hands one if possible - see if it agrees with you, tho I also agree 9mm is a cheaper way to go regarding fodder! I have not tried any other Bersa but based on the .380 Thunder would now like to try their offerings in .45acp and 9mm.

Kevin - that Glock pic - there's a word for its color -
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Hey Kevin...Did somebody say something embarrassing to your GLOCK?

Much Better!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig
    Like the PPK and planning on getting one this year, unless Chris convinces me that the Bursa is a good enough weapon.

Steve
    Steve, I have to agree with Chris. I have purchased two myself. I have a Bulgarian Makarov in .380 and I liked it so much I decided to get something a little lighter in the same caliber. After a good bit of research I decided to get a Bersa. I bought it at the range were my wife and I were taking the NRA Basic Pistol class. She was having trouble pulling the trigger on her S&W revolver so I let her use the Bersa for the afternoon shooting. I never got it back. A month and a half later I bought me one. Each have at least 500 rounds through them, hers probably has closer to 800 and neither has ever failed in any way. We have fired Winchester white box, Remington UMC, MagTech LRN, Federal HydraShok, and Speer Gold Dot through them and they fire what you put in them. They are both very accurate and hit what you aim at. Stephen Camp's site was one of the ones that was instrumental in my decision to buy the Bersa.

Like Chris I have no experience with Bersa's other guns, but I suspect that will change before the summer is over.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry

Kevin - that Glock pic - there's a word for its color -
    Here's another word - JEALOUSY!!

QKShooter ~ "Hey Kevin...Did somebody say something embarrassing to your GLOCK?"

That one is funny - I hadn't heard that one!!! Got to have your school pride!! Just wait until you see my Orange Stingray holster I'm having made!!

Yes, the 380 will work. I known many that carry the PPK type guns as their "BUG". Just 300 to 500 rounds down range to break the gun in.

frankmako

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I carry a Taurus 92 on my left hip, two spare mags in a carrier on my right, and usually a PPK clone in my right pocket as I'm ambidextrous.

The PPK clone becomes primary only when I can't dress around the gun appropriately. Its backup is a Spyderco knife.

I am relatively sure of a "stop" if I empty all 7 rounds (holds 7+1; I download by 1) into an attacker at bad breath distances. I'm even relatively sure I can take two attackers with the little thing. Three or more my confidence begins to waver, and here that's how the badguys roam: in packs.

Josh <><

Umm, excuse me ... Kevin? Georgia Bulldogs' colors are RED and black. I'll let it slide this time but try to do better, okay Buddy?
    Jack

P.S. How 'bout them DAWGS!!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    Umm, excuse me ... Kevin? Georgia Bulldogs' colors are RED and black. I'll let it slide this time but try to do better, okay Buddy?
    Jack

P.S. How 'bout them DAWGS!!!
    Jack, your colors stink almost as much as Kevin's. The Auburn Tigers colors are ORANGE AND BLUE.

Wa a a a a r Eagle!!!!!!!
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Heh heh, at least you said "almost!"
    Isn't the Bersa based on the Sig 230/232 design? How much length difference is there between it and the Walther?
    Jack

I have a Bersa .380 that I carry every now and then. It was my first pistol actually. I feel confident in saying that it would stop someone. That's also because I feel confident that I could place the rounds where I want them. Of course, the same goes for any caliber. It'll do the job though, imo.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I doubt that Kevin's glock will ever want to be seen in public with such skin on it. Kinda looks like it took them tanning pills and turned orange, LOL. Only thing missing on that pistol is a etching of the ball being fumbled. BOOMER!!!!!

I played with a Bersa Thunder today and it was as promissed. Neat. My problem is that I'm buying the PPK more for having it in my gun box (and mayby one day sending it off to C&S) than carrying as I'm pretty restricted on what I can carry by muh agency.

Heck I might just break down and buy one of each BUT I promiss NOT to paint them the colors of my college team, but I might break down and buy a supressor from AWC for the PPK just for fun.

Take care ya'al

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    Personally, I'd want nothing less than a 9mm/.38 Special...that said, a .380/.32 PPK/S is better than a sharpened stick.

Train, train, train, carry the most potent ammo that the gun (and you) can stand and then train some more.
    Last edited by srfl; May 20th, 2006 at 01:16 AM.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Most folks I've heard that carry a .380 seem to prefer a hot FMJ for penetration and reliability. Cor-bon seems to be pretty popular in the little mouseguns.
    Jack

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links