Defensive Carry banner

Walther PPK/S adequate for carry?

9K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  Freedz 
#1 ·
Haha im not sure if i spelled adequate right:danceban: But I have a question regarding a certain silver pistol that is of german decent and is known in the bond movies. The Walther ppk, or to be specific gun im questioning about the PPK/S. My Question is...is this a decent weapon for carry? Meaning if a was to get jumped had to draw it into action and use it, would the 380 round be enough to take down an assailant? Also ive heard them being prone to jams.....:gah:

#27 ·
I have a Bersa .380 that I carry every now and then. It was my first pistol actually. I feel confident in saying that it would stop someone. That's also because I feel confident that I could place the rounds where I want them. Of course, the same goes for any caliber. It'll do the job though, imo.

#28 ·
I doubt that Kevin's glock will ever want to be seen in public with such skin on it. Kinda looks like it took them tanning pills and turned orange, LOL. Only thing missing on that pistol is a etching of the ball being fumbled. BOOMER!!!!!

I played with a Bersa Thunder today and it was as promissed. Neat. My problem is that I'm buying the PPK more for having it in my gun box (and mayby one day sending it off to C&S) than carrying as I'm pretty restricted on what I can carry by muh agency.

Heck I might just break down and buy one of each BUT I promiss NOT to paint them the colors of my college team, but I might break down and buy a supressor from AWC for the PPK just for fun.

Take care ya'al

Steve

#33 ·
maclean3 said:
Heh heh, at least you said "almost!"
Isn't the Bersa based on the Sig 230/232 design? How much length difference is there between it and the Walther?
Jack
Hey, Jack, sorry I never responded to this. Actually the Bersa Thunder 380, the Sig P230/232, the Makarov, and the PPK are all based to some extent on the original Walther PP. In my estimation the Sig deviates the most from the design. The Sig continues certain things that Sig does. The P230/232 use the standard Sig decocker in the traditional location. The Sig does not have a slide stop which the others all have. The Sigs and the Maks use the European mag release, but the Bersa uses the American style behind the trigger guard. The Walthers, Maks, and Bersas have the safety/decocking lever in the same location on the slide. The Walthers and Bersas have the lever down for safe and up for fire. The Russians followed the style preferred by John Moses Browning and have the push down to fire lever on the Mak.

As for size difference the Bersa, Sig, Mak, and Walther are pretty much the same size. They are all around 6.5" in length, 4.5" in height, 1.2" in width, and have barrels of about 3.5" in length. Except for the Mak they weigh form 18 to 23 oz. The Mak weighs nearer to 28 oz. To be more correct in the length difference between the Bersa and the PPK: the Bersa and Sig P230/232 are 6.6" and the PPK is 6.25". So the difference is .35" or less than 3/8".

#34 ·
Love my PPK

I bought my PPK right after I turned 21. It was used but looked mint. Some things I've learned about the PPK after 10 years:

1. Doesn't like cheap reloads.

2. Shoots any brand new ammo just fine.

3. Aim high on that first shot, or your assailant might be alive, though impotent. I still, after, hundreds of rounds of practice, cannot get that first shot where I WANT it. It still hits the target, though.

4. Has gotten me out of at least one moving violation. LEO's around here love nice metal. "He's carrying a PPK....he ain't bad," followed by a comment about persons of questionable character carrying "cheap potmetal" (read: Hi-Point).

#35 ·
If your comfortable with the ppk or any of its cousins(bersa, sig 232, makarov, etc.) then go for it. Is the .380 effective?? It was used in europe as a military sidearm for years, so in my opinion yes. Would I prefer a 9mm, .40, .45 or whatever?? Of course. Bigger is better as long as you can hit the target with it. If you dont like the recoil then dont go bigger. I'd rather get a full clip of hits out of a .22 beretta then miss every shot with a .45 1911. Its been said before, and will be said many times after this - shot placement is the key. If your good with the .380 you'll have no problems with it. And yes the walther is a wonder little package.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.