Walther PPK/S adequate for carry?

This is a discussion on Walther PPK/S adequate for carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Haha im not sure if i spelled adequate right But I have a question regarding a certain silver pistol that is of german decent and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPK/S adequate for carry?

Walther PPK/S adequate for carry?

Haha im not sure if i spelled adequate right But I have a question regarding a certain silver pistol that is of german decent and is known in the bond movies. The Walther ppk, or to be specific gun im questioning about the PPK/S. My Question is...is this a decent weapon for carry? Meaning if a was to get jumped had to draw it into action and use it, would the 380 round be enough to take down an assailant? Also ive heard them being prone to jams.....

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Most thought is 9m or biger will do. All in all any handgun will be better tan none. you need to decide how much protection you feel is needed.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Well.... I do have a Glock 17 but i was thinking about going smaller because the 17 seems over kill for ccw use...I dont really care for the ppk being it's to SMALL, and i like putting Pachymre Grips on the guns i shoot. So i wanna go for the ppk/s. Im not really worried about the capacity of the gun, but just that the round is potent enough to work.

Assistant Administrator
    Welcome And yes - you spelled adequate fine

You will get a miriad selection of comments I suspect - most not overly encouraging probably! For the caliber the gun is ''OK'' IMO but I have never been a fan of those. I guess in truth that is partly because the cal is just really a bit low on power.

I am not knocking it totally, don't get me wrong - well placed shots will do the job but not probably guaranteed to "enough to take down an assailant". I do personally favor the Bersa Thunder for 380 - good value and good reliability - my wife and step daughter each have one - tho it is a tad larger and heavier.

Better yet would be to consider one of the many small 9mm's like Kahr or even the P11 KelTec - little bit more oomph.

Decisions need made much as anything on dress options for CCW - within your restrictions/choices - go as large as you can and even up the cal more if viable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just saw your last post -
    because the 17 seems over kill for ccw use
    Can't go with that!!!! IMO no handgun is overkill!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hmm how big are the USP compacts in 45acp? or in 9mm? Do they have pinky hang and how's the recoil? Oh and whats the mag capacity? I might go for that if 380 is indeed under powered

Administrator
    The Walther PPK/S does not have jamming problems.

Some DO have feeding problems with certain hollow point ammo bullet configurations.

Some will feed anything & others will not unless they are tuned.

All of them will usually feed ball type ammo perfectly.

The pistols Do Not work very well with Non Walther extra magazines.
    So plan on buying only Walther mags for your spare magazines.

There is no way to answer your other question as to adequate stopping power in some future unknown incident...as there are far too many variables.

In my opinion the .380 is borderline for self defense.
    I have carried my Walther as a primary on a few occasions.
    That would be locally out to dinner & on some other "extremely low likely threat" jaunts.

It is comforting to have but, you really need to remember that shot placement will always be of paramount importance.

I should add that the all steel Walther is slightly heavy for it's size as a "pocket pistol"....also...the slide is difficult for many females, elderly, and or "out of shape" males to operate.

That is because the recoil spring is quite stiff & there is not much slide area to grab onto.

My wife is not able to rack the slide on my PPK/S.

Yeah im not intending it to be a pocket pistol, probably find a holster for it. I have never fired a ppk/s before, however i have racked the slide of one and played around with it so to speak. My uncle has a German ppk/s blued, and i agree the slide is quite stiff to rack. But the weight dosen't bother me that much... also about the mags no need to worry, i never buy cheap generic mags, i only buy Brand name mags for my guns, i.e Beretta mags for beretta, colt mags for colts, ect ect. Hmm what are some good hallowpoint 380 to use?

I wouldn't worry about carrying one, did that for a few years myself,, if your serious about it I would look to the S&W version with the extended tang,it helps with the slide bite,, my older model seems to like the 102 grain sabers, and the winchester slivertips,,

If its just size your looking at, I would look to the Khar seris , but skip their ploymer, or why not glocks 26?

If you see "low-risk" as your general environment/lifestyle, and are situationally aware (people call you paranoid ), with good shooting and common sense, I would not feel too light. I would certainly plan on carrying 1, or better yet, 2 reloads. If the size means you will carry it everyday- by all means get it!

However. If you rate your risk as "Moderate" of higher, I would want more capacity and power, frankly. The USP Compact fits my hand well (not as much a feeling of pinky-hang as with the G26/27), and I believe you can get "real" capacity mags now- all 13 rounds worth! The Khars, Mini Glocks, and USP Compacts are all pretty comparable.

What are your primary selection factors? Size/weight? Price range? What is your previous shooting experience? All of these are significant, to varying personal degrees.

I would also stick with 9mm. You will find that the round offers the benefits of greater protection and is cheap to shoot. More practice=Better automatic reaction when/if needed.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

I carry my S & W version once and awhile. Its so thin it fits better with suits and other dressier occasions. I don't feel undergunned when I carry it. Get a good pocket holster (mines from K & D) or a nice IWB (Donner Gun Leather) and it works great!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My ppks is reliable with anything , shoots extremely well , and has been carried enough the blueing is shot and it needs refinished ( hey its circa 1972 german lol ) that being said it has reached honorable semi retirement in favor of the stainless kahr pm9 . i still drag out the ppks once in a while but it has earned its place in the safe so to speak
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Somebody call the guys with the white jackets, Kevin's got holsters in OSU colors. Boy no wonder they cant play football, LOL. I've never seen a Sooner wif a holster special made. Like the PPK and planning on getting one this year, unless Chris convinces me that the Bursa is a good enough weapon.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

So I guess you wouldn't like my Glock....

I used to have a thunder 380 and carried it everywhere. I had to sell it for quick cash and when I was able to replace it i went with a springfield xdsc 9mm. It isnt much bigger than the 380 and packs more punch YMMV. just my .02 cents worth.

Sixgun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links