Need small cal shrouded hammer revolver

This is a discussion on Need small cal shrouded hammer revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was planning ahead on what to by the wife if she decided to come to the range with me. I would want to get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need small cal shrouded hammer revolver

Need small cal shrouded hammer revolver

I was planning ahead on what to by the wife if she decided to come to the range with me. I would want to get her a revolver so we could forgo jam clearing issues and get a shrouded hammer just in case she decided to carry. She is a fragile little flower. Does a .38 recoil to much for the average 110lb girly girl? I looked for a .32 shrouded hammer revolver but couldn't find one. I didnt really want to bob the hammer on a .32 if there was a shrouded version available.

Also should I look at other calibers besides a .32. I've never shot a .38 but I hear they recoil a bit with the air weights.

2. Remove Ads

.38 special can be loaded to some real powder puff levels,also sounds like a good excuse,to buy yourself a nice rimfire!

I have a 637 Airweight and you can get some pretty tame loads for it. My 12 year old girl shoots it with Federal low re-coil loads. With the .38 if your wife decided to carry someday she would have nice piece for the pocketbook. If she doesent want to carry youve got yourself a .38 snubby to put in your pocket. If shes never shot before start her out with a rimfire and move up to the .38.
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Thats good to know. I had no idea that i could get "easy on the hand" ammo for a .38. Are there other revolver calibers I should also look at?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimtem View Post
    I was planning ahead on what to by the wife if she decided to come to the range with me. I would want to get her a revolver so we could forgo jam clearing issues and get a shrouded hammer just in case she decided to carry. She is a fragile little flower. Does a .38 recoil to much for the average 110lb girly girl? I looked for a .32 shrouded hammer revolver but couldn't find one. I didnt really want to bob the hammer on a .32 if there was a shrouded version available.

Also should I look at other calibers besides a .32. I've never shot a .38 but I hear they recoil a bit with the air weights.
    She won't know until she tries one. Is there a Fun Shop nearby where she could rent and try one? A steel frame, although heavier will soak up more recoil, if she is dainty I wouldn't start her with an airweight.
    That said recoil is subjective, some people have problems with large caliber guns, other don't. I'm petite 5'4" 125 pounds and I regularly shoot a snub nose .357 and a 4" barreled .44 Magnum and I'm not the least bit bothered by recoil with either one.
    Take her shopping and let her try on a few and decide what she likes.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

S&W 642 would be my suggestion.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Pretty much limits your choices. A 642 does not have a shrouded hammer - it has an internal hammer - not accessible. In a S&W you'd want a 638 or variant thereof. These have a shrouded hammer that you can thumb-cock to shoot the SA should you have the time, while still offering DA and snag-free carry.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Endowment Member

My girlfriend has a hard time with the recoil on my S&W 638 when she shoots it with the full power carry rounds. Seeing how you mentioned that you may want her to carry it in the future it may be counter productive to get the 638
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

The 642 and 442 are nice...but maybe instead of lightening the loads...how about lightening the recoil with a little extra weight in the gun? Try looking at a model 640 or 649.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

One way to offset the recoil of the 38 Special is to add weight. I choose the all steel S&W M49 instead of an air weight so I could take advantage of the development of new bullets and powders that have brought new life to the 38 Special as a SD round without being concerned with recoil.

Having said that I really want a S&W M638 :-).

S&w 642

I like the S&W 642 for a very light weight, extremely concealable gun that works every time. I don't think you need an external hammer and single action capability in a gun that will probably always be used in double action. The recoil is noticeable, but with practice you won't mind it. This is not a gun to be shot a lot at the range, but mainly a piece of safety equipment for emergencies. I use the Speer short barrel +P ammo in it.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

girly girl gun

I would suggest the S&W "Ladysmith" 38. Same frame as the chief special or the stainless. However, they modify the grips for smaller hands, and it looks tough. My buddy's wife shoots one and she is also small like yours.
    Start her out with reduced loads and move up to the hydrashocks or simular. They are not +p and don't have an excessive recoil.
    If she is to carry it, you wnat someing which will put down the BG. To quote teh great Ed McGivern: "There is no second place winner in a gunfight.
    If you still want a .32, try charter arms "undercoverette" I think they make one with a shrouded hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    She won't know until she tries one. Is there a Fun Shop nearby where she could rent and try one? A steel frame, although heavier will soak up more recoil, if she is dainty I wouldn't start her with an airweight.
    That said recoil is subjective, some people have problems with large caliber guns, other don't. I'm petite 5'4" 125 pounds and I regularly shoot a snub nose .357 and a 4" barreled .44 Magnum and I'm not the least bit bothered by recoil with either one.
    Take her shopping and let her try on a few and decide what she likes.
    +1. One of my guns sounds like it would fit the bill. A 1962 S&W 49 "Bodyguard". All steel gun with small wood grips. Shooting standard pressure rounds is very comfortable.

A Ruger SP101 357 Magnum shooting standard pressure 38 rounds might be good too. The 357 may have less recoil with 38s but gives you versatility in the future or in the event you carry it on occasion with 357 rounds.

I've actually been considering selling my old Bodyguard and buying a Ruger SP101 since I have another snub 38 (S&W 442).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Smith is introducing a Centennial framed 22 revolver sometime this year.

Buy my Taurus 651 in stainless witha shrouded hammer. Its a great shooter and is very gentle on the hand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links