The gun I choose to carry most

This is a discussion on The gun I choose to carry most within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all , just a quick question I know it has probably been discussed a thousand times over ,.22lr vs (insert any other round here), ...

Thread: The gun I choose to carry most

Hey all , just a quick question I know it has probably been discussed a thousand times over ,.22lr vs (insert any other round here), And the larger round is perferable in most every case, so on to my question

I choose my Ruger mk2 almost exculsively even tho I have a couple of "better" options namely my Glock 23 and Sigma sw40ve, but i just feel Better prepared (and kinda like a wuss lol) with my mk2.

I think the reason being I have owned it the longest and have never had a problem with it whatsoever ,with jamming or hitting COM on target or even quick draw practice lol But i do have to admit out of the 3 guns i think it is really lacking in the stopping power department.

Any suggestions to feel more comfortable with trusting my life to another gun ? I really dont want to carry a .22lr in any trim as i dont really trust the round but do trust the gun.

Roosterbob

Administrator
    The only thing that is going to solve your problem is spending more time with your Glock.

The MK is a great gun, but its a plinker/trainer. It is far from a combat pistol.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You've got a Glock that you don't carry?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

kpw
    Take a little time, a few bucks and enroll in a decent pistol course. You'll become much more comfortable with your G23...or Sigma. The fun you'll have doing it is just a bonus.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Yeah yeah I have to admit reading back what I wrote it became (painfully lol) clear the best choice would be to spend every waking minute I can at the range with the Glock but I have realized I have had buyers remorse ,even tho I got a great deal on it (399.00 with three magazines and a night watch clamshell safe )

But I do find it hard to trust any gun after an "incident" I had a few years ago in which I had a Baretta (sp) fail to fire at a time I really needed it to. granted the Baretta wasn't mine so i assume it wasn't the guns fault but the owners , due to green ammo or not being cleaned although I cant say for sure but that is my conclusion.

Thanks all,

Roosterbob

The Sigma 40 is a good gun, but it's huge lol. Concealed carry with it isn't going to be easy or comfortable, in most cases.

Your G23 is a much more intermediate sized pistol, and probably more accurate too. I have trouble getting my Sigma to be anything more than "acceptably" accurate because of the hard trigger pull. I bet with a little range time spent with your G23 you'd become comfortable with it.

In the mean time keep carrying your .22lr. Most self defense scenarios are within striking distance, and at such a distance a .22lr can ruin anybody's day.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

You should carry a gun that is totally reliable. It should be the gun you shoot best with.

But I do find it hard to trust any gun after an "incident" I had a few years ago in which I had a Baretta (sp) fail to fire at a time I really needed it to. granted the Baretta wasn't mine so i assume it wasn't the guns fault but the owners , due to green ammo or not being cleaned although I cant say for sure but that is my conclusion.

Thanks all,

Roosterbob
    Rooster you sound as if you might be ripe for conversion to the revolver camp. Have you considered it?

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    You should carry a gun that is totally reliable. It should be the gun you shoot best with.
    Agreed. Get better with your Glock IMO. I wouldn't trust a Beretta either....I've had one (not for carry).

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The only thing that is going to solve your problem is spending more time with your Glock.

The MK is a great gun, but its a plinker/trainer. It is far from a combat pistol.
    Agreed. More time with the Glock. It is a combat pistol, and in essence that's what we're doing in every fashion here, preparing ourselves better for combat. That one single battle that determines whether it's all over, or we continue on. Make your investments wisely.

Shoot the Glock more. There's no reason to carry a .22 unless that is the only gun you have.

The only cure for not trusting an arm is to use it, get a few boxes of ammo and run it through the gun. See how many FTF and other issues you have, once you realize that the gun is either reliable of not that, then make an informed opinion. And as one of the other posters said, if in doubt of a weapons abilities, perhaps a small revolver is what you really want... they really are a point and shoot weapon.

Yoy can't go wrong with a glock. But even they can present carrying challenges in hot weather attire. My vote is to trade the sigma for a good airweight j-frame, and then you have more options.

Thanks for the replies and advice and I have been eyeing my brothers airlight pd .38 special i might see if he wants to trade for a while , I really never gave revolvers a chance maybe its time to start.

Roosterbob

Quit wasting time and get to the range with your Glock. Man up and go get it done. The .22...may be easier to shoot but it will make it easier for the bad guy to put you down.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Links