PT145 Pro Range Report

PT145 Pro Range Report

This is a discussion on PT145 Pro Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, the day didnít start of well but got progressively better in a hurry. When I got to the range I proceeded to load my ...

PT145 Pro Range Report

So, the day didnít start of well but got progressively better in a hurry. When I got to the range I proceeded to load my mags. The first mag loaded fine but the second not so much. The round wouldnít slide all the way to the back of the mag. Me and my dad both looked at it but couldnít see anything visibly wrong with it. Later back at home we used a micrometer and saw that width at the top was wrong. I will be calling Taurus on Monday to send the mag back.

Now on to the good stuff. I LOVE THIS THING!! Seriously. I am a hard man to please but the PT145 is one heck of a pistol. Even though I do have a couple of complaints the good FAR out weighs the bad.

Funtion -
    400 rounds functioned flawlessly though the gun. It fired reloads, WWB, wolf, and 4 other types that other shooters fired without a single hiccup. I was nervous about the reloads as my 709 didnít like them but the PT145 had no issues at all. My dad and I both tried to make it malfunction by limp wristing it and putting our thumbs on the slide and we couldnít make the thing fail.

Recoil Ė
    I was once again REALLY impressed here. I was expecting a large amount of recoil but itís not bad in the least. Even one of the people that shot it that only shoots 9mm remarked that it was extremely easy to control and comfortable to fire. I think this is a matter of the ergoís which are extremely good on this pistol. This was one of my main concerns with the gun but proved to be totally unfounded. If you can shoot a 9mm you can shoot this.

Accuracy Ė
    My first 2 mags through it were horrible. I had never shot a gun with straight 8 sites before. I gave it to my dad who carries a Berretta 84f (Which has straight 8ís on it) and he proceeded to completely embarrass me with it haha. He shot a 4 inch group at 10 yards the first time he shot it. Once I got it back I did a little experimentation and finally got the sights under control. Turns out I was basically fighting them. I donít know about everyone else but for me I donít even need to pay any attention to the rear sight ,just the front. The pistol lines up perfectly. At 20 yards placing the front sight on the X I was able to shoot a 7 inch group rapid fire with no rest. Thatís definitely accurate enough for me.

Trigger Ė
    This got mixed reviews. Out of the 6 people that shot it 4 people liked it and 2 didnít. To be fair though the 2 that didnít said that with some practice it wouldnít be bad but they werenít used to triggers that had a take up. Personally, I thought it was great. The take up doesnít bother me and the breaking action was nice and smooth. I like a trigger with a bit of take up.

My small gripes Ė
    The checkering on the back strap is annoying. After about 30 rounds it starts to get uncomfortable. I had a imprint of the checkering in my hand for about and hour after shooting it. This should easily be fixed with a houge slip on grip.

I donít like the integral Taurus security system. It just makes me nervous. For some reason I think itís going to work itís way to locked. This has never been a reported issue that I know of but I think Taurus should offer the option NOT to have it.

Those are really my only complaints with the gun. All in all it is a fantastic pistol. 11 rounds of hard hitting .45 in a small, light, controllable package all for under 375.00 out the door with a life time warranty is some serious firepower and a serious value. If I could only own one gun to cover all my needs of CCíing and home defense this would probably be it. I wonít hesitate to recommend this gun to others. Itís not a good gun for the money, itís just a good gun plain and simple.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

kpw
    That's a good review. Congrats on the new shooter.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Thanks for the review. Sounds like you made a great purpose-driven purchase that fits your needs and expectations. Congrats!!!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Glad to hear you are happy with it! I really like mine.....now get yourself a crossbreed supertuck for it and you will be set!!
    Most people go through life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem! Ronald Reagan

When I first got the PT145 I honestly thought I had a serious problem. I couldn't hit anything. My friend that had heine sights on his picked it up and started nailing the bullseye. I was amazed and made a few small adjustments. Now It is very accurate in my hands. I also really like the heine sights for defense purposes...target acquisition is very fast with them.

After over 2k trouble free rounds with all sorts of ammo from expensive self defense loads to the cheapist dirtiest range ammo I can recommend this gun to anyone. Great design and great function.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Glad to hear you are happy with it! I really like mine.....now get yourself a crossbreed supertuck for it and you will be set!!
    I actually ordered a holster from CCholsters. I don't have any expirence with them but I was interested in a convertible (IWB/OWB) and the price and lead time was right. If it doesn't work out for me crossbreed will probably be the next route I go. I'm actually pretty amazed that comp-tac doesn't make a holster for it as well.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Thanks for the report, I have been eyeballing the 145 after playing with my wifes 709. I really like the 709 so I am giving some serious thought to the 145 now. I wouldn't have even thought about it until a week ago when I shot the 709.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

Quote Originally Posted by Joeface View Post
    Thanks for the report, I have been eyeballing the 145 after playing with my wifes 709. I really like the 709 so I am giving some serious thought to the 145 now. I wouldn't have even thought about it until a week ago when I shot the 709.
    I own both a 709 and a PT145. The 145 is obvisouly a bit thicker but I don't find it chunky (and I don't like thick guns). The ergo's are just REALLY good. I will warn you though. If you have larger hands the grip map not be as comfortable for you. Overall you just cant beat 11 rounds of .45 in a package this small and light. If you want a small .45 this one is defiently worth checking out.

I have a PT745 that I just love. Same gun, thinner grips, less capacity. All of the above are true. You have to get used to the trigger. First few rounds were all over the target, seems to fire low. Probably my fault. Compensated for trigger and low firing and took out a 5" circle dead center at 7yards. All within the first hundred rounds. Had a few misfeeds but was using poorly made reloads. Would not even eject manually. With all the distractions with trigger, jams and aim, still love it!!!!!

Tim

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you have a winner. I had one of the PT145's but traded it off, because I had some issues with it jamming. I always loved the way it felt and shot, and have regreted trading it from time to time. I think a lot of people give Tauras a bad rap. I might get another on e some day. Congrats.

GM
    Thanks for the review. I am glad you enjoy the PT145.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I don't get to the range with my PT145 near as much as I'd like to. Thanks for this post - good readin...
    For God, Family and Country!

Links