Sig 238 and Herters Ammo!!

This is a discussion on Sig 238 and Herters Ammo!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to a small gunshow and a fellow had a good price on a Sig 238 Nitron finish and I have been wanting one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig 238 and Herters Ammo!!

I went to a small gunshow and a fellow had a good price on a Sig 238 Nitron finish and I have been wanting one badly...I made the deal and picked up a box of Herters 380 ammo...I saw that it was made in Indonesia but I thought what the heck..it will be ok for range ammo. I went to the farm last nite and first thing this morning I step out the back door and the first 4 mags are multiple FTE's and FTF's...I am thinking "great I just bought a high priced jamomatic..." I switched to Winchester White Box and this thing functions perfectly....I can even hit a coke can at 15 yards with regularity!!!! I love this little pistol!!!!! I am carrying ti OWB now in a Highnoon Bare asset (same one for my LCP) but I am wanting a nice leather one for this little pistol. Oh yeah...switched back to the Herters and it started jamming again... Stay away from herter's in my opinion... just wantng to relate my experience....Robbie

P.S. shoots my carry ammo great too....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Herters, if you don't know its history, was the predecessor of Cabelas and the likes. They had good stuff but went away in the late '70s, early '80s.

What you have is produced using the Herters name, mainly by Wolf in Russia, hense the problems. Poor quality, will ruin the name of Herters for those who remember it.

Glad the pistol worked out for you with a better brand of ammo.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quick question, isn't Herters steel cased ammo?

If it is, that might be your problem.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

No this was berdan primed brass case. I had a couple that I had to hit twce to make them fire. Save your money and buy something else other than Herters...

Quote Originally Posted by southarkrob View Post
    No this was berdan primed brass case. I had a couple that I had to hit twce to make them fire. Save your money and buy something else other than Herters...
    I don't know what you bought, but all ammo with the Herter's name on the box is made at the Tula Works in Russia (not indonesia) and is steel cased. This info is straight from Cabela's, the sole source of Herters brand ammo.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Straight from the Herters Box said "Berdan Primed, non-corrosive, made in Indonesia" and it was a Herters Box....I can Read...

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I don't know what you bought, but all ammo with the Herter's name on the box is made at the Tula Works in Russia (not indonesia) and is steel cased. This info is straight from Cabela's, the sole source of Herters brand ammo.
    No I just shot a box of the same stuff today and it is made in Indonesia. The stuff worked fine in one of my Bersa's but was jamming up the other.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

Herters ammo, 45 APC

Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    Quick question, isn't Herters steel cased ammo?

If it is, that might be your problem.
    Hello,
    Just want to add my 2 cents. I shoot several pistols, and for my two 1911's in 45 acp cal I love Herters ammo. It is a bit dirter powder in it, but thats not a huge deal to me. Herters to me shoota more like a target load (slower burning powder) than the rest. I never have had a problem with the steel casses. They feed, fire and eject just fine! My plinker is a Charles Daly and my tack driver is a S&W mod 1911. They both eat up the Herters ammo just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Interesting!
    This is also straight from Cabela's web site:

"Our globe-traveling search for quality, affordable ammunition led us to Herter's. This accurate and dependable Indonesian-made ammo is loaded with Berdan-primed brass cases, non-corrosive powders and is topped with a 95gr. FMJ bullet. 500 rounds."
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Herter's just takes ammo from whatever company they happen to find it from, and rebrands it with their box. Sort of like what Walmart does with any of their "House" brand items.

The Herters 62g HP .223 ammo that I have says its made by Tula on the box.

Herters from Cabelas was first produced in Indonesia. Then they moved on to getting the same name, Herters but produced in Russia from Tula.

I have shot a few thousand rounds of it through my 9mm's and 45.

My one and only squib I've ever had came from Herter's 45.

Great ammo, no. Good enough for plinking...yes
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
    Herter's just takes ammo from whatever company they happen to find it from, and rebrands it with their box. Sort of like what Walmart does with any of their "House" brand items.

The Herters 62g HP .223 ammo that I have says its made by Tula on the box.
    Yup, the brass cased Herter's stuff is mostly Fiocchi.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I tried Herters in my LC9. 4 failure to fire in two magazines. Fed them in again and 2 still failed to fire. No more for me.

Back in the 70's the Herter's Catalog listed every item with the description "world's best", "famous", "finer than any competitor's", etc. IMO generally they sold junk

I have had the same experience, Herters will not run in my p238. Everything else I have runs fine. The Herters runs good in my AR. Just some ammo and some firearms dont play well together.

Sent from my iPad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links