S&W Nightguard

S&W Nightguard

This is a discussion on S&W Nightguard within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have one? I have drooled over the ads in the magazines but have yet to find one locally to actually fondle. I do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Nightguard

S&W Nightguard

Does anyone have one? I have drooled over the ads in the magazines but have yet to find one locally to actually fondle. I do not have a wheel gun yet, but this one appeals to me. Looking for opinions/reviews/etc. Hubby says I can buy another gun with our tax refund so if this is going to be it I might have to go beyond local. Thanks for any info!
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

I have a 327 NG; I like it a lot. A wheel gun with 8 rounds of 357 Mag is a serious SD pistol.

I got a 315 for my wife, she likes it a lot. They're very nice guns, a well balanced package.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

I've had the 396 44 special and think it may be perfect for my purposes. The features on the NG series are hard to beat for a serious carry revolver, regardless of caliber/model. The only thing I changed were the grips... the ones stock were just too large for my hands.

If this is one of those superlight space-age metal revolvers chambered in .357 Magnum, no thank you.

While having eight rounds is nice, if it hurts to shoot it, I don't much want to carry it. The smallest and lightest .357 Magnum I will shoot or carry is the Ruger SP101.

I'm getting too old to keep up with what's new.

Biker

Biker, this isn't a J frame; the 327 is a full N frame with plenty of weight and girth to handle full power 357 mag comfortably. I love my J frames and will not shoot 357 mag in them, even from the steel ones, but the 327 is in a totally different class.

VIP Member
    I had my finger on the old bankcard trigger for the 315 and then I pulled back. My 640 is off being tricked out while I placed the .38 Bodyguard on order. I keep debating between the 315 and the 686 2.5" so I'll pray for wisdom and just hang tough.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Mace Sports in Mebane (Orange/Alamance Co. line on 40/85) had several in stock the last time I was in there. Not sure how far that is from Monroe, but it might be worth the drive to check one out in person.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

VIP Member
    Did I miss something here? We are discussing the 315 right? The more I think about this one vs. the 686 2.5" and the significant weight difference of 11-ounces. Maybe this thread was an omen for me. I may be with you on this one 'Purpledragon'.

Product: Model 315 Night Guard - .38
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Same here..

Purpledragon. I am 'eyeing' the 325 in .45 acp. since I have a nice supply of rounds in store. I was hoping some one might have one, and opine on it.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Did I miss something here? We are discussing the 315 right? The more I think about this one vs. the 686 2.5" and the significant weight difference of 11-ounces. Maybe this thread was an omen for me. I may be with you on this one 'Purpledragon'.

Product: Model 315 Night Guard - .38
    I was talking about the 315, the OP didn't specify which Night Guard they were interested in.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

I dont have one but I have had my eye on the 329 NG in .44mag. I cant find one locally either to fondle. I did see in a similar post that they have had some problems with FTF. Something about the firing pin being to short. May just be the 329 though.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I was not even sure what the various model #s were, but I am interested in the 327 it would seem, the .357.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I have read alot of articles and talked to a bunch of people at the gun show who say that they are a very well made gun and like them alot....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

S&W Nightguard

Great looking gun. Great shooting? Not so much. I just purchased a new 2.5" 386NG today. I hope the one I got isn't indicative of the quality one can expect from S&W. I fired 50 rounds of Remmington 38 special ammo through it and had 4 misfires. I also fired 11 rounds of Hornady 357 magnum 158 gr. XTP with FIVE misfires. The only way I could count on this particular gun as a dependable defensive weapon would be if I used it as a hammer. Sad, but true. I was told by the dealer that even though it was brand new, I'd have to send it off to S&W for repair. Really, really disappointed...and surprised by the lack of quality control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links