Taurus PT-101 Thoughts? Comments? Warnings?

This is a discussion on Taurus PT-101 Thoughts? Comments? Warnings? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering what is everybody's thoughts on the Taurus PT-101 is?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Taurus PT-101 Thoughts? Comments? Warnings?

Just wondering what is everybody's thoughts on the Taurus PT-101 is?
    IAm_Not_Lost likes this.
    "I would rather be Judged by 12, Than to be Carried by 6"

I just picked one up at Academy on sale for $299!!! The Taurus PT92, 100, and 101 are known to be rock solid guns. Taurus bought the Beretta plant in Brazil several decades ago. They literally kept all the machinery and even the workers and started making the PT92 which is the exact gun as the Berreta 92 that the military still uses. Taurus did eventually change the decocker/safety to the frame as opposed to the slide. This was a great move and it has remained the same for years. The PT100 is simply the .40S&W version of the PT92. The PT101 is the same as the PT100 except it has adjustable sights.

The PT101P that Academy has for sale right now is a 16 round gun as opposed to 10 rounds in the regular PT100. I really like the idea of 16 rounds of .40S&W. Thats a lot of heat!!!

Anyway, the gun can be carried cocked and locked or decocked moves it to DA. It is a full sized gun so you will have to accomodate if you want to carry but its certainly doable with a good holster. I have only put 100 rounds through mine so I can't speak personally on durability. It does have the reputation of being rock solid and the best Taurus design along with the PT92.

I love this gun and would pay $600 easily for it but at $299 its a STEAL!!

Feel free to ask questions.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boykinhntr View Post
    I just picked one up at Academy on sale for $299!!! The Taurus PT92, 100, and 101 are known to be rock solid guns. Taurus bought the Beretta plant in Brazil several decades ago. They literally kept all the machinery and even the workers and started making the PT92 which is the exact gun as the Berreta 92 that the military still uses. Taurus did eventually change the decocker/safety to the frame as opposed to the slide. This was a great move and it has remained the same for years. The PT100 is simply the .40S&W version of the PT92. The PT101 is the same as the PT100 except it has adjustable sights.

The PT101P that Academy has for sale right now is a 16 round gun as opposed to 10 rounds in the regular PT100. I really like the idea of 16 rounds of .40S&W. Thats a lot of heat!!!

Anyway, the gun can be carried cocked and locked or decocked moves it to DA. It is a full sized gun so you will have to accomodate if you want to carry but its certainly doable with a good holster. I have only put 100 rounds through mine so I can't speak personally on durability. It does have the reputation of being rock solid and the best Taurus design along with the PT92.

I love this gun and would pay $600 easily for it but at $299 its a STEAL!!

Feel free to ask questions.
    Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? I was quite interested when I saw the ad... I had a Beretta 92, years ago, and it was a really sweet shooter...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

New Member Array sithlord122681's Avatar

Owned

I've owned the PT101 for a little over two years after buying it at Academy Sports. I've shot around 500 rounds through it (not a lot for two years I know...I just rarely have time to get to the range) and haven't had a single problem. I've heard many say that their autos aren't that reliable but I can attest to the reliability of this one and I love the fact that it holds 16 +1. I keep her stocked up with Hornady defensive rounds and keep her near my bed and I rest comfortably knowing that when I pull the trigger...it will work.

I work part time at Academy behind the gun counter and I can say without a doubt that Taurus semiautos have a higher rate of return than any other brand we sell, by far. Not saying there aren't individual guns that are good and problem-free; there are. It's just that they are few and far between.
    kmagnuss and DanielC like this.

Honest opinion? Another $150 buys a handgun worth MUCH more...than simply an additional $150. It's a small financial step to trade for a LARGE leap in quality (reliability, durability, value).
    kmagnuss, DanielC and Taurahe like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Honest opinion? Another $150 buys a handgun worth MUCH more...than simply an additional $150. It's a small financial step to trade for a LARGE leap in quality (reliability, durability, value).
    How many Taurus have you owned personally?

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    How many Taurus have you owned personally?
    Four; early PT45 Millennium, PT 945 (Stainless slide), Tracker .44 magnum and a 850 CIA .38 spl.
    Taurahe likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Four; early PT45 Millennium, PT 945 (Stainless slide), Tracker .44 magnum and a 850 CIA .38 spl.
    In my book your opinion then is valid. Thanks
    Taurahe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    In my book your opinion then is valid. Thanks
    You're most welcome. Yet you didn't ask how many I...still have. (uh, ummm...zero)

They weren't all disasters, in fact the 945 & 850 were okay. But I got SUCH a bad taste in my mouth from the Customer Service related to their much-advertised Lifetime Warranty that I eventually decided the very BEST warranty in the WORLD was (for me) to simply buy higher priced handguns. Since that decision I have never again gritted my teeth & sworn about another gun brand. IMHO, that, by itself, is well-worth the money.
    DanielC likes this.

Unfortunately for some people they do not have $150 extra to spend or their budget may only allow them to have $150 of ammo that will last them for the year or more. When I went shopping for my car, I wanted to purchase a used Mercedes C32 but did not have the extra $15K and could only afford the used Volvo S70 Turbo I still have now with over 237K miles and still running strong. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Unfortunately for some people they do not have $150 extra to spend or their budget may only...
    I'm not "money whipping" anyone by my opinion. Nor am I a gun snob. Some people put a higher priority on a premium cable package or a restaurant lunch on workdays or driving a turbo-charged European auto. I put a higher priority on handguns & holsters & ammo & practice & training (*and old Porsches). God Bless you as well!
    Brad426, DanielC and Taurahe like this.

Not on the pt101 but my pt92 (purchased new) shoots several inches (try sic) low at seven yards. I won't waste my money ever again.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Yep. Caveat emptor. Let the buyer beware.

When I worked at a range with rental guns I learned a few things about long term durability. I think any steel framed Taurus centerfire revolver, any of the full sized PT92-99-100-101 series, and any Taurus rimfire revolver are a great value for the money. The rest of the product line I wouldn't care to own.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links