Debating a Taurus Slim PT709 for CC

This is a discussion on Debating a Taurus Slim PT709 for CC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any thoughts from y'all? The reviews I've seen look pretty good. Any negatives? Any positives? Thanks....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any thoughts from y'all? The reviews I've seen look pretty good. Any negatives? Any positives?

Thanks.

they are ok i fondled one at the gun shop i liek the feel of the SR9C better.

Glock, XD, M&P are all more reliable IMHO. I've learned by experience that being a defacto gun tester is not the way to go. Looks nice though.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

I am sorry I was a beta tester for this gun (709). I should have just gone with my Kahr P9 to start with....

See my post in this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1471007

Also see this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1447911

I've had a 709 for a few weeks now - my first striker fire gun and my second poly gun (LCP was my first) - and have put about 400 to 500 assorted rounds through it, both hollow point and ball ammo. I was a little leery of buying the gun having never owned a Taurus, mainly due to the poor feedback I've heard on them, but I have to tell you mine has been flawless. The recoil is a lot less than I expected, accuracy is great and it works perfectly for what I wanted it for - concealed carry. Extremely comfortable on the hip all day long.

My only negative comment would be on the finish of the gun. While the exterior is fine the inside is a little "rough." Many sharp and rough part internally that snag the cleaning cloth, Q Tips, paper towels, etc., I use to clean guns. Takes an extra effort to get all the snagged fibers out of the gun after cleaning. Never experienced this on any other gun I've owned.

My only suggestion, should you buy one, is to clean it very well when you first get it. I haven't seen too many handguns as gunked up as this one was with grease. Took quite a while to clean it out properly.

I can't stand the trigger on them. I'd visit your local fun shop and put my hands on one before I bought it.

I have more than a thousand rounds of many FMJ and JHP ammo types through my PT-709 without significant issue. I chose it over a Kel-Tec PF-9 based on:

1) feel & fit
    2) manual safety & second strike trigger
    3) availability vs. the PF-9.

I've been very happy with it, and I trust it as much as I do any of my other guns. I use it as my daily carry without hesitation.

Considerations:
    1) it needs to be kept squeaky clean
    2) the trigger takes some getting used to, but it's not as bad as some have reported
    3) the major complaint - if you have an issue - is extractor problems, which are usually fixed by a trip to Taurus
    4) some folks have trouble with Winchester White Box ammo - I have not had problems with mine
    Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

After a trip back to taurus my 709 functions well. It had the light strike issue. After my issue with the 709 and a issue with a ruger LCP I purchased I came to a conclusion. I will never buy another first generation gun again regardless of what manufacturer. If it hasnt been out for atleast a year then I'm not going anywhere near it. As a matter of fact I will never purcahse ANY first generation product of any kind as gun makers are not the only ones that have the 1st gen woes.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I would get it.. I have seen alot of people say that they are junk but i have not yet had any problem with them.. I also see that the people that say they are junk or don't buy one have never had one themself. I have had just about every Taurus made and never once had a jam or anything.. Great guns..
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmPro View Post
    they are ok i fondled one at the gun shop i liek the feel of the SR9C better.
    which i agree......... but with that said the SR9c is the same size as the XD93.8

so if size is what matters the 709 is smaller.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

I bought one for a specific purpose and I've had mixed results.

I bought it specifically for winter motorcycle riding as being bundled up, I can't easily get to my primary carry. The 709 was attractive in that it was a very small 9mm, had same MOA as my carry gun (1911) and most importantly, had a hugenormous trigger guard I can get my riding gloves in. The idea was to carry it in a slash pocket of my coat.

After getting it, I found it to be very susceptible to limp wristing - so much so that I can't really rely on it when firing with heavy gloves on.

I found it to fit the hand nicely, shoots as accurately as it needs to, and - other than requiring a very firm grip - it ran reliably for me.

I would definitely recommend shooting one if possible before purchase.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Glock, XD, M&P are all more reliable IMHO. I've learned by experience that being a defacto gun tester is not the way to go. Looks nice though.
    that said the Glock,M&P and XD subcompacts are also much THICKER than the 709 Taurus so you would have to make a decision on how or what you want to carry. I tend in a CC/Civilian non LE type situation go with whats more comfortable over what carries more rounds...thus for CC id pick the thinner single stacks over a thicker double stacks..what id also be looking at is maybe something like a Kahr CW9....I for one have the Taurus still on my list also and think I may take a shot at it and then make sure it works by running a few hundred rounds through it B4 carrying it. im NOT a Taurus basher...every Taurus I own and have owned has worked 100% in fact the only gun I have ever owned that had ZERO malfunctions of any kind in over 6,000 rounds was a Taurus(PT99) I cant even say that about my Glock 23.

I don't have a 709, but have a good assortment of other Taurus pistols and consider them keepers. I am always leery of first year anything, including cars and trucks that pop up.

I've had my 709 Stainless Steel Slide model for several months and I LOVE it!!! Exactly what I was looking for in a small CC 9 mm.

1) Do clean it new before firing. It has factory packing grease.
    2) I have 600 flawless rounds through mine, various brands and types with no issues whatsoever.
    3) Break it in the first 200 rounds with FMJ.
    4) Clean it every 200 rounds (breaks down in seconds, so easy enough).
    5) It is VERY accurate.
    6) Easy to IWB or pocket carry all day long.
    7) I, personally, LOVE the trigger. Easy to keep on point of aim.
    8) Fit and finish are great, light, and thin. Good size trigger guard.
    9) Recoil is not bad at all...not nearly as bad as I expected from a small light gun. Double taps on target are easy.
    10) It is a little sensitive to limp wristing, but then again most small light 9mm are. I've not had any issues with it as I am accustomed to shooting a S&W 442 Airweight with +P rounds. I'm used to having to hold on tight. The recoil of the 709 is much less.

I also have an XD40 sub compact. I carry them both and they are virtually the same height and length, but the XD is twice as heavy and twice as thick. It can't be carried in a pocket. I end up carrying the 709 more often because of ease. I highly recommend it. It has been perfect for me and I trust my life with it on a daily basis. I am as accurate with the 709 from 50 feet as I am my Ruger P95...and I use it as my groundhog gun if that tells you anything. I'm actually considering selling the P95 now...no need to keep a comparatively monsterous 9mm anymore. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by BugDude; February 1st, 2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added #9 and 10
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I've got one, my dad has one and my uncle has one and we all love them. Absolutely no problems after many rounds through each one.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links