Considering a G26

This is a discussion on Considering a G26 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read about troubles with Glock G36 .45s. I am considering buying a g26, any issues with it?...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Considering a G26

Considering a G26

I have read about troubles with Glock G36 .45s. I am considering buying a g26, any issues with it?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    To start with, the G36 had some problems on the early models. Later models apparently work just fine.

The G26 is a proven pistol in a proven round. Some of the +P rounds are more than ample for SD, and it carries a few more rounds than the 36.
    Will you be satisfied with the 9 mm, or is that a second choice?

The G27 in .40 will have a bit more power in the same size gun, and it can shoot 9mm with a conversion barrel and G26 mags. Another option. Or you can jump up to .357 Sig with a Conv. barrel.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Nothing wrong with a GLOCK 26. I can't say I've heard of issues with the .45 acp GLOCKS. I have heard of a few problems with the .40 GLOCKS, not being argumentive OldVet, this is just what I've heard. GLOCK designed their pistol around the 9 x 19 cartridge and therefore GLOCK is known for their 9mm pistol excellence. If you are comfortable with the 9mm for personal defense, go for it. I trust my GLOCK 19 with my life as do several others. I can't knock the .357 sig or the .40, I've never fired either.

Good luck.

joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Mic
    OldVet and joker1 bounce around some good points but really, where dose this info come from, statements like "I heard" and "my buddy said" don't hold much weight. Allot of problems that I've heard about come from ammunition and not the gun itself, get some bad reloads and any gun will malfunction. Glock has a reputation of one of the most reliable gun in the world and all the models are quite reliable, personally I prefer .40 cal, thats why I own G22 and G27
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

mrm
    Anything with the word GLOCK on it (IMHO) is the finest weapon out there for SD, all of the money every other manufacturer was spending making theirs look good Glock spent making it ugly and perfectly functionable in all situations (which you will never know what they are so you have to plan for the worst and hope for the best).
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I have a G26 and like it. Be sure to shoot one if you can just to make sure it fits your hand. You can see and feel the solid engineering in this pistol.

Glock 26 will fit your needs perfect. My G36 has been flawless but with that being said if you were actually going to consider the G36 I would steer you towards the G19. The 19 and 36 are the same size and weight but the 19 offers 15+1 capacity compaired to 6+1 of the 36.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Thanks all, I have another 9mm pistol is the reason for looking at the 26.
    Off to the gun shops right now.....

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    I have read about troubles with Glock G36 .45s. I am considering buying a g26, any issues with it?
    nope, good gun but make SURE it fits your hand well..I tried to trick myself into believing that the Glocks grip that felt horrible in my hand during a test firing at the place I bought the gun at was something id "get used to"..it never turned into something I liked..so be SURE the grips fit you just fine b4 you jump...if they do its a great gun. Im trying to trade my Glock 23 in on a new Ruger SR9C but I cant find one locally to do so yet.

No issues here with my G26. Love it, and it's super easy to conceal without even trying.

The short grip does feel a little odd in the hand, but I have no issues firing with it, or keeping the gun steady, just not used to having my pinky finger hanging. I bet some grip extensions would really do the trick, but I have trouble shelling out $10 per mag for a tiny piece of plastic.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Thanks all, I have another 9mm pistol is the reason for looking at the 26.
    Off to the gun shops right now.....
    Cool , post again when you've made your purchase and let us know what you bought and how you like it.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

VIP Member
    G26's are solid. I personally don't like G27's as I have seen one kaboom.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Ok I am now the proud owner of a Glock G26, Blackhawk Serpa, and a Blackhawk leather OWB holster. I figured I might as well get started on my holster collection.
    I have fairly small hands and the G26 feels excellent.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Good for you. It the gun fits. wear it!
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

G36 runs well

I got my first Glock (G19) last summer. It is simply flawless. Still love my Sigs (228, 239s/9mm, 40 cal, and .357), but these Glocks seem to be flawless.

Traded in a Sig, compact, custom shop, 1911, towards a Glock G36 about a month ago. Then I read all the bad press on the G36, developed a slight buyers remorse, called Glock, and was re-assured by their tech person that my G-36 (after checking the serial number) would be fine. This Tech person was real neat. He admitted a love affair with Sigs and full size 1911s (just as I have).

Anyway, I shot my G-36 with FMJ and HP defense ammo. It ran flawless. I really am glad I got it.

Buy both of them. I also am thinking about a G26 as a companion for my G19.

Good luck,

Trooper Joe

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links