Armatix Gun + Wristwatch. Smartgun

This is a discussion on Armatix Gun + Wristwatch. Smartgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Armatix has apparently been working on its so-called "smartgun" concept for quite a while, but it's now finally shown up at the Shooting Hunting and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Armatix has apparently been working on its so-called "smartgun" concept for quite a while, but it's now finally shown up at the Shooting Hunting and Outdoor Trade Show (SHOT, naturally) with its first actual product: a .22-caliber pistol that relies on a wristwatch as a safety. As you can probably figure out, the gun will only unlock itself when its in close proximity to the watch, which sends a "wireless arming signal" that, of course, also activates some green LEDs for good measure. Previous incarnations of the company's concept also relied on a fingerprint ID as an additional safety, but that seems to have been left off this production model, which will run 7,000 (or $9,700) when it starts shipping next month
    Armatix pistol / wristwatch combo tells time... to stay put -- Engadget

And from Armatix Website...
    Armatix GmbH: Smart System

With Armatix SmartGun concept is the accessibility and use a firearm of only the person alone possible, authorized to do so. This novel approach is revolutionizing the security in the use of firearms in incredible ways. If the arms are from, stolen during a service or get lost, is automatically disabled and unusable.

Radio bracelet.
    To enable the radio watch, fingerprint of the person entitled to the strap must be read first.

Authentication.
    An internal database compares the current fingerprint with stored clip-marks and decides on the share.

Armatix Smartgun: System benefits.
    Among experts no doubt that a SmartGun solution in conjunction with biometrics is useful. The modular design with a biometric sensor in the bracelet offers a variety of benefits.

Scharfschalten or disable the weapon is only by proximity or remove ("hands-free"), within seconds. That is, once the biometric station once activated, the Scharfschalten users must take no additional action. Also the recognition is automatic removal of hand.

Any number of weapons can be brought freely with a biometric tag. Similarly, multiple users on a weapon may be permitted (e.g. all members of a police unit). Each activation of the weapon is logged, a tag can be disabled in seconds.

For example the bracelet is from or arranged, of tags and thus the weapon is disabled on a automatically. After a defined time interval, the weapon is always disabled when it is near a tag.

The gun can be operated with gloves or excessive dirt. In addition, biometric sensors are sensitive and relatively expensive components, so that it is appropriate to integrate them directly into the weapon.

Combining the benefits of biometrics (unique mapping to persons) so with the benefits of RFID (Setup in a few milliseconds, handsfree operation).
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Sounds dumb and waaaayyyyyyyyy to complicated.

I just hope these aren't forced on Police Departments some day.

Plus at almost $10 Grand. YIKES!
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

The idea is interesting but way too complicated, and bound to malfunction when you need it most.

Plus, that watch looks like something picked off the Wal-Mart discount rack. No thanks.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

i can't believe i actually read the links. can i have my two minutes back now, please? no? son of a......

The concept of a firearm which cannot be used if it stolen from you or lost in a scuffle is probably a good notion. However, as any of us who work with modern technological devices know, it's problem waiting to happen at the worst possible moment. Dead batteries? Compuetr chip malfunction? Interrupted or swamped out radio signal? These or any of a miriad other problems and you've got a short club, not a firearm. The idea has merit, but you couldn't give me one of these things (unless I could list it on gunbrokers the next morning... I could use ten grand right about now!).

VIP Member
    Just what I want, a $10,000. plinker! Of course you know the battery will go dead about once a month and you will only be able to purchase the batteries from the manufacturer at the cost of $500. per battery + shipping and handling.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I just hope these aren't forced on Police Departments some day.

Plus at almost $10 Grand. YIKES!
    Yeah, I can just see the first time a City Council/Mayor/County Commission is told that they are going to have to purchase every cop or Deputy they employe a $10K handgun.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Well, at least I learned something.....what SHOT stood for LOL!! Although I coulda googled it....

"Ahhhh crud, whered I put my watch"
    "Ahhhh crud, my watch is out of batteries. Now I gotta find a jeweler that can change the batteries in my gun watch"

This will eventually be the future of firearms.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Sure, it seems like a bad idea...but just think of all of the opportunities it will provide action movie heroes for witty one liners:

Bad Guy (to Bruce Willis): "So, do you know what time it is?" Laughs evil laugh while whipping butterfly knife in a blurring motion.

Bruce Willis glances at his Armitix watch and smiles as he watches the LED lights activate on his pistol...

Bruce Willis (to evil bad guy): "Time for you to die!".
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    $9700 for a .22? Are they kidding?
    I could buy 20 Glocks for that. Or 10 Glocks and some 1911s. I don't see too many people jumping on that deal, no matter what the reason.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You guys are just nay-sayers. This will save Law Enforcement lives!

So, let's say your a police officer and you are lucky enough that your department has decided to buy one of these for everyone on the force! You get in a scuffle and the bad-guy gets control of your gun and points it right at you. Don't you feel lucky to have a gun that will only fire when it within about 12 inches of the watch? Oh, wait. The badguy is right there.... The gun is less than 12 inches away from the watch! Oops.

Well, let's not count that one. This will save Law Enforcement lives, who cares if it is more likely to fail and cost an officer his life, we are just counting the saves here.

Oh, wait.... here's another. The whole complicated system might fail and prevent a police officer from shooting some 17 year old gang-banger that is in the process of gunning down adults. See, it's for the children!

What happens if you need to shoot with your other hand - you know, the one without the magic watch on it?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

There's a video game called Metal Gear Solid 4 that has guns like this as a plot device. The villain in the game disarms an entire army by hijacking the codes to their RFID-enabled guns.

Sometimes it's good to keep the old machinery around ;)

I quit wearing a watch since I have to carry a Blackberry for work 24/7. I wonder if I could program my Blackberry with a auto voicedial secret password that would call my gun and unlock it so I can use it? At the rate that I get "system busy", no signal, or dropped calls I'll just stick with old school technology. Sometimes I think the 7 titanium screws in my jaw messes with my cell signals. Although, I can get digital TV without a converter box if I hold the antenna in my mouth.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links