S&w 640?

This is a discussion on S&w 640? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are there any S&W 640 owners here if so how do you like this gun for CCW use?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&w 640?

S&w 640?

Are there any S&W 640 owners here if so how do you like this gun for CCW use?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The 640 is my favorite j-frame! I recently sent it off to have better sights installed and a trigger job, but that’s just me. I don't find the 23-ounces to be a problem. In fact, I like the balance better than my 642. To fill the gap, I'm considering a Night Guard 315 which is only one more ounce while providing the sixth round for the range and course work.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

My 640-1 is pretty close to perfect for a civilian CCW in my opinion; I have some very expensive 1911's and my 640 gets the call most of the time. I admit my decision is more subjective than objective and I am sure some folks here can make a strong objective case for a high capacity semi-auto--have at it; I am happy with my choice.

Perfect snub, no snag, and heavy enough to actually shoot .357 through, unlike the Scandiums.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

I like my 640 a lot. I carry it every day.

The great thing about an all stainless J frame for me is that I can shoot 38s out of it all day long and not get beat up. I can even shoot a full box of .357s with the stock grips with minor discomfort. That means I get to practice with what I carry much more so than with an alloy J frame. Which brings me to the reason I bought it in the first place.

I wanted to carry .357s and I wanted to be proficient with their use in a snub. That pretty much ruled out the alloys. I believe that if you are going to carry .357s you ought to have a steel snub so you can practice with them. If you aren't going to carry .357s then an alloy is a better choice. And that brings me to the 640's negatives.

It can't be pocket carried for most guys. It's just too heavy. You'll need to holster that thing, or do like I did and get a hip grip or belt clip. I have the Barahmi Hip Grip on mine and love the ease with which it can be carried, but I sacrifice shoot-ability with the .357s. I can still shoot a couple or three cylinders, but a full box would be pretty harsh. A rubber sleeve is also a must with slippery grips when shooting .357s.

The sights aren't very good, at least for me. I'm color blind and in low light I have a very hard time picking up the red insert on the front blade, which makes the entire blade hard to pick up. I practice point shooting mostly and I figure I'm good enough with that to be able to defend myself proficiently. Your results may vary.

Having said that, after practicing my draw a few hundred times, I can totally see the advantage of a concealed hammer. Nothing gets snagged, ever. The DAO revolvers make a superior deep conceal weapon than one with an exposed hammer. That's a fact and even those who chose a SA/DA model over the DAO version can't argue against it.

To sum up. If weight is a concern, then maybe the stainless 640 isn't the best option. But if you want a true SD snub with the capability to shoot .357s 'good enough', then this might just be the perfect revolver for you.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither' -Ben Franklin

VIP Member
    I loved everything about mine except the weight. It's a great revolver!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Great little CCW. I carried one for many years as a primary off-duty weapon. It was also my BUG on-duty. But the last 9 years or so, I find myself carrying my Glocks on and off-duty. I still carry the 640 every now and again as a BUG.

Being a PO I don't feel comfortable with just 5 rounds anymore. But for most it will suffice.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

This is a wonderful little revolver. I was fortunate enough to find a pre-lock model in mint condition on GunBroker.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

Thanks guys I really like the 640 for a snub nose .357,my local shop has a new one for $500 OTD I'm really condisering getting it.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Thumbs up

I don't have a 640, but I traded my 36 snubnose chief for a 640-1. I wanted the .357 option. I did carry it and just recently had a XS Big Dot front sight installed. It's now my HD revolver. Excellent little 2"er. Very popular. You have grip size/style options as well.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

VIP Member
    more to say...
    I started out 40-years ago carrying revolvers and then I carried semi-autos exclusively until I realized that my age and health was affecting my fine motor & sensory skills. Believe me, I’d rather carry a high-cap Glock or equivalent but I have to weigh the pros and cons.

Now, I don't shoot .357 from my 640. I prefer .38+ but I like having the added strength and stability of steel. As to the weight, I carry the 640 as often as 'practical', but for those formal dress occasions or our hot-ass summers', I carry an alloy variant. For me, there isn’t a one-size (model) fits-all carry gun.
    Regards,
    Last edited by Saber; February 2nd, 2010 at 02:20 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Thanks guys I really like the 640 for a snub nose .357,my local shop has a new one for $500 OTD I'm really condisering getting it.
    Wow! In todays market, that sounds to be an exceptional deal. If it's a 'newer' model with a carbon-steel trigger (see photo above) then by all means...
    ~ Stephen King

I really like the 640 no dash 38 special only. A little less weight and a more svelt package in my opinion.

Naturally they dont make it any more.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I like mine......
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Does WAS count?? Owned one(gone now)as an off-duty...GREAT GUN. Had Eagle Secret service grips on it...........boy do I miss it! Good Luck and make the move!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links