Need a new gun.

Need a new gun.

This is a discussion on Need a new gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Right now I have an xd40 sc. I do like this gun alot, but it does feel bulky at times, I wouldnt mind something smaller/lighter ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a new gun.

Need a new gun.

Right now I have an xd40 sc. I do like this gun alot, but it does feel bulky at times, I wouldnt mind something smaller/lighter especially for summer attire. As I have only had the gun during the cold months I can only foresee concealment being troubling at times. I'm looking to stay under the $600 mark, I dont mind buying used as long as the gun is in great shape obviously. I want something reliable with good knock down power.
    Any suggestions?

G23

Mic
    Got yourself a nice gun there, personaly I like Glock but that dosent solve the "bulky" issue.

Try taking a look at "how" you carry beside "what" you carry, diferant holster, position etc could make a diferance
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

A double stack of any brand or configuration is going to be as bulky as the XD. I have the same XD40sc and I carry it IWB at 2 o'clock with no problem. If you want less bulky, you will have to go to a single stack or a snub nosed revolver. I have a single stack 9mm and two snub 38s. The only difference between them and my XD40sc is I can carry the PT709 or S&W snub 38s in a pocket. With less size and weight come a few trade-offs.

1) Capacity. The PT709 is 7+1 and the snubs are 5
    2) Caliber. The 709 is a 9mm and the snubs re .38 +P

There are single stack 40s and 45s out there (the Sprinfield EMP, for example) but you are getting outside of the stated price range. And the EMP is a heavy small 1911 design (I'm sure there are others out there of various configurations and weights).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I would go with a Kel Tec PF9 as a single stack 9mm.

Mine is 100% in every way.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Ruger SR9C has plenty of knockdown power, you can switch it from small grip to large grip with an extended magazine. SR9C is way better then any glocks, at least it has adjustable sights the glock has fixed sights.

I have to agree with what has been said. Any double stack pistol is probably going to have the same bulky feel as your XD does. Good single stack 9mm's like the kel tec PF9, Taurus 709 and ruger SR9C are all good options. You could also look at a single stack 3rd gen S&W. If you want a bit more power the karh CW40 would be worth looking at. The down side of course is that you give up capacity. The average single stack sub compact is going to have a width somewhere in the range of .88 to 1.0 inches. My PT145 double stack .45 with 10+1 rounds is 1.25 inches.

For me personaly the extra quarter of a inch of width is a fair trade ofd to have a mag filled with 10 rounds of .45. For others it's not. However I can tell you this. When I started carrying it was a double stack 9mm glock. It was uncomfortable and hard to conceal. I switched to a single stack 9mm and it was equally as uncomfortable and hard to conceal. I then purchased a quality holster and a belt designed for a gun and it was easy and comfortable to conceal. I switched back to a double stack and can tell no difference between the single and the double stack.

I think of it like this. When it comes to carrying a pistol with it well hidden and comforatble it breaks down like this for me.

25 percent of it is your holster
    25 percent of it is your belt
    25 percent of it is what your wear
    25 percent of it is your gun
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

How about a G36 single stack .45ACP, 1.13in. wide, 6 + 1, Glock pistol?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Lot's of Glocks to consider out there. Hard to beat!

Walther pps?
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

You already have a Good reliable Auto,Do like I did,Time for a wheel gun! Nothing can beat the reliability of a wheel gun! Besides my Autos,alot of times I always have a snub just for a bug,nothing feels safer knowing you have a backup on you,and nothing is better knowing that backup is a wheel!You have the best of two worlds, get a Ruger or S&W .38/.357,practice cheaper with the .38 ammo,carry .357.
    .357 is one heck of a defensive rd,with most confrontation happening within 7 ft all you need is a snub and point shooting,so don't be concerned when people cry about no sight radius. I live in Fl. and in the summer it's great carrying a sub they conceal so well and are so light you forget you have them on! I don't think you'd be sorry going with a nice snub for your second pistol purchase! Like I said,I'm glad I have mine,wouldn't be caught dead without it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    For me personaly the extra quarter of a inch of width is a fair trade ofd to have a mag filled with 10 rounds of .45. For others it's not. However I can tell you this. When I started carrying it was a double stack 9mm glock. It was uncomfortable and hard to conceal. I switched to a single stack 9mm and it was equally as uncomfortable and hard to conceal. I then purchased a quality holster and a belt designed for a gun and it was easy and comfortable to conceal. I switched back to a double stack and can tell no difference between the single and the double stack.

I think of it like this. When it comes to carrying a pistol with it well hidden and comforatble it breaks down like this for me.

25 percent of it is your holster
    25 percent of it is your belt
    25 percent of it is what your wear
    25 percent of it is your gun
    I completely agree! I couldn't conceal my XD9sc without a jacket or sweatshirt until I got my Wilderness Tactical Instructors belt. Now, I have a raven concealment on the way for summer carry.

If you don't have a gun belt and nice holster then you really should consider those before you buy a new gun.

FWIW I'm only 5'9" 140lbs.

I carry the Glock 36 and it conceals well on my large frame. I carry it in a Galco Combat Master leather holster with a good sturdy leather belt. This keeps it tucked close to the body with no printing and I completely forget I'm wearing it.

The 36 is a good little .45 that packs serious punch. Some people will tell you that the 6 +1 configuration isn't enough ammo for them but it does the job for me. I was able to pick mine up used (150 rounds shot through it) from my Deputy buddy with adjustable Trijicon night sights, 3 mags, 1 holster, dual mag carrier and 20 rounds of hollow points for $500.

Good luck on your search. Hopefully you can go out and shoot some of the weapons your interested in before you buy.

I think you have an issue with proper concealment tecnique...get your clothing situated and used to carrying and then the thickness of the weapon becomes less of an issue. I know a number of small framed men who carry full sized weapons...that being said, not all guns are created equal! I personally find the XD platform to be bulky in more ways than one...but that is me.

It may take you a bit to get your carry gear (weapon included) down to what you like, hang in there and keep trying different options.

True, the Glock is a good gun, so is the XD, M&P, Kahr...but all wish to grow up and become a real gun...a 1911
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Kah PM9 or PM45...or my personal favorite, a S&W M&P 340
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links