Defensive Carry banner

do very many people still carry revolvers?

19K views 157 replies 131 participants last post by  Buckeye63 
#1 ·
I have realized that ALL of my buddies and family members that carry all have semi -auto pistols and have looked at me strange as I have been looking at revolvers for my next purchase (due in part to wmhawth, thanks for the suggestion)I was just wondering if i was nuts for considering a five shot .38 as a primary carry (in vehicle and at home ) weapon ?

And as a side note I have to say i love this forum for the fact that all of you here haven't held there tongues due to the fact i'm new here and i respect that ,as I've ran into that many times before on other forums .

Thanks in advance for the replies!!

Roosterbob

*just read the post below this one sorry apparently some still carry revolvers and enjoy every minute of it lol

#2 ·
Only the smart ones :wink:

Revolvers are still a great CCW option and you may find that the J frame S&W revolvers are carried more than just about any other handgun by member here. Personally I carry a S&W 642, S&W Model 10, Ruger SP101 and Colt Det. Sp. all regularly and still find time for the semi's. Some times I carry one of each!

And we were all new here once my friend, glad to have your input!

#9 ·
Pirate , any suggestions for a noob to the revolver world? as far as .38 goes ?
Roosterbob
Small revolvers can be a hand full so to speak for those not familar with them or not ready for the sharp recoil. They take some practice to get profiencent with thats for sure. A lot depends on how you plan to carry. If you plan on pocket carry the J frames or the new Ruger LCR are great choices. The J frames are the gold standard for small revolvers IMO. The Ruger SP101 has a big following here too and for good reason. Its built like a tank and can handle full power .357 but its a bear to handle for the shooter. On the other hand .38 is a pussycat in the little Ruger. I carry the SP101 in a IWB or OWB holster its to heavy for pocket carry as far as I am concerned.

You have given me another excuse to show off some of the revo's again!

The Classics like the Colt Detective Sp. and S&W snubbies are fine options too and they never go out of style.

#5 ·
I'm much like pirate. I regularly carry a S&W 438 Bodyguard, a Ruger SP101, a S&W 686+ and a S&W Model 15. For use afield I take my Ruger GP100 or my S&W Model 19. You could say I like revolvers. Like pirate, I still find time for semi autos. Heck I just like guns. It may be my imagination but I think I'm seeing more and more people with renewed interest in revolvers.

#7 ·
There are many merits to the classic snubnosed 38 as a CCW. Easy to carry in a variety of methods (pocket, IWB, OWB, SOB, ankle, etc.). Simple and easy to operate/load, reliable, not picky about ammo, no concerns with jams/feeding/ejecting issues. If you get a bad round and it doesn't go off, just keep pulling the trigger (no slide to rack, jam to clear). No safety to potentially forget about in the heat of the moment, no forgetting if there is one in the chamber or not or thinking there is when there isn't. No slide motion to contend with when firing (depending on situation, it can take a chunk out of your hand or finger, and in a struggle, the slide can get pushed back keeping it from firing or get backed up against something keeping the next round from chambering).

I think it is the original CC piece and still a very wise choice. The 38 Special round (especially todays +P rounds) is also nothing to sneeze at. Very deadly.

With all of that said, there are a few drawbacks. Mainly, capacity (5 shots instead of 10 or 15, but most SD situations require less than 5 shots); and less accurate (but in self defense situations, we're not talking about a 2 inch grouping at 50 feet...we're talking 15 feet or less).

Some think the classic snub wheel gun is less cool, not as flashy, or not as hollywood as a semi, but for CC, it is about form and function not style. I personally think revolvers are classic weapons. I have 6 wheelies and 4 semis. The snubs are hard to beat.

#8 ·
Smith & Wesson 642 or 442 are great cary weapons. Basically the same other than finish. The internal hammer and double action only make them snag-free (no hammer to catch on clothes when drawing) and the DA only makes it somewhat safer in that it is less likely to accidentally go off due to the longer and harder trigger pull. A snub 38 does take more practice to be proficient, but it is well worth it. I have the S&W 442 (annodized black finish) and it is a regular for me to carry.

#12 ·
I carry a 7 shot, and at times a 5 shot over my semi-autos. I especially like the 7 shot. Mine are .357's and one factor is .. it's a .357, and another is I"m much more accurate with it and can do just as good point shooting vs when I aim.

#14 ·
I carry a 642 probably more than anything else I have... My next purchase will most likely be an SP-101 with a 3" barrel. Big enough to handle the .357mag, yet small enough to carry very comfortably... Like a lot of other folks, I shoot a revolver, better than almost any auto...

#15 ·
My EDC is a XD9sc... but I find myself throwing my S&W 642 in a pocket holster when walking the dog, checking the mail or quick runs to the store. It disappears in my front pocket and I forget it is there it is so light weight. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. I can tell it will probably be my EDC in the summer months.

#25 ·
I really like my S&W 637, but I rarely carry it (love my Glock), but I would never part with it.:hand10:

#26 ·
Another revolver fan here.
I've carried, and concealed all of these:

and this one

The second one in the top pic is my favorite for carry. With 7 rounds of .357 flavor I never feel under gunned, and it's the one I shoot best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.