Sig Sauer p220

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer p220 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hiya guys and gals, have a question for you. I'm looking at 2 models of the p220 locally, I'll be able to fondle them on ...

Thread: Sig Sauer p220

Sig Sauer p220

Hiya guys and gals, have a question for you.

I'm looking at 2 models of the p220 locally, I'll be able to fondle them on Wednesday. Either one will be for carry. Both come with Siglite night sights. On to the Models...

Model # 220COR-45-BSS

It's a p220 compact model. Here is a direct link. Products & Services

Why I like it : It's a "compact". Shorter grip and barrel = more easily concealed. It's DA/SA. Capacity is 6+1 .45ACP. I don't think I'll mind the compact grip, as with my XD .45 Full Size I still leave around 3/4inch between my right pinky and the bottom of the magazine.

On to the next...

Model # 220BR3-45-BSS-SAO

From my research, It's a government contract overflow. I can't link to it from the Sig website (that I can find). Beavertail, Stainless slide coated with Nitron, and an alloy frame. Heres the best link I could come up with : GunsAmerica - SIG 220BR3-45-BSS-SAO - Sig - Sauer/Sigarms Pistols - Guns For Sale & Gun Auctions B"H

Why I like it : It's a bit bigger than than the previous model, but I don't see that being a problem. It's a "carry model" meaning it comes with a few more bells and whistles and with 3 magazines(I think). If it's good enough for the government, it can't be bad. It is also 8 +1.

Why I'm leaning towards this model : I've been carrying my fathers 1911 unloaded, not in public, and familiarizing myself with the ins and outs of a SAO handgun. I also plan on picking up a Sig p238 (the SAO .380) and carrying that as a BUG / Pocket / Summer carry gun.

I'm leaning towards the SAO model because I've been shooting DAO XD's for awhile now, and learning the practices that go with SAO. I love my XD, but I love the SAO trigger break.

Would love your opinions on it. Thanks much!

2. Remove Ads

Noone?

I love my P220R-45-TSS-SAO. It's the two-tone stainless slide. Excellent trigger of course. I went looking for another 1911 model when I stumbled on this, and I'm glad I did. Best 45acp pistol I've ever had. I can surprisingly conceal the large frame SIG with the right equipment. I never was much a fan of the DA/SA pistols. Interesting SIG has gone on to offer other models in SA.

VIP Member
    I have been looking long and hard at the Sig SAO P220. If one ever crosses my path, I may have to pull out the wallet. Sig has never been high on my lists because it is not lefty-friendly in their normal DA/SA configurations with decockers on the left side only. For my hand it is an awkward reach to decock.

If you like the SAO, go for it.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Shorter grip is good...

The Sig P220 is a great gun and I'm very fond of mine, which is the all stainless model. But it is a large gun, especially in the grip area. The photo below shows it compared to two other large guns - a full size 1911 and a H&K USP45.

For a carry application I would probably choose the shorter grip compact version that you mentioned. You give up two rounds of capacity but it is so much easier to conceal.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Lead Moderator
    I have a 220 SAO, and it has one of the cleanest triggers I've ever had direct from the factory!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

The Sig P220 is in my personal opinion one of the best combat and self defense sidearms made bare none with the exception to the 1911,sorry I'll admit to being bias to the 1911 being a Vet, It's what I was trained with and it never failed me!
    If I were to go to another Pistol it would be a SAO P220.the only draw back on the latter model will be you will lose some concealability with the beavertail,my next question is this,if you really like the SA and definetely are going that way,why not go with the 1911? Do you already have one? Not to sound impartial but the 1911 is the fore runner of the SA trigger,John Browning designed it,they been made that way for over 75 yrs!
    But if your a SIG guy and want a Sig I'd go with the last model it looks sweet it has the SAO and you said you've been practicing for it,I have a 1911 .45 and a Sig 9mm both are excellent Guns!

Here's my contract overrun P-220R Carry SAO. I LOVE it! Probably my favorite gun.

Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

Links