Which Sig 220?

Which Sig 220?

This is a discussion on Which Sig 220? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I find myself wanting a Sig 220 and don't know which one to get between the 220 full size and the compact model. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Sig 220?

Which Sig 220?

Well I find myself wanting a Sig 220 and don't know which one to get between the 220 full size and the compact model. I plan to carry which ever I get and am leaning towards the 220R compact model due to the fact I don't care for the beavertail on the regular 220 compact.

My questions are does anyone here have both the fullsize and compact 220? How much much smaller/lighter is the compact compared to the fullsize 220? Also if I'm not mistaken don't both the 220 fullsize and compact have alloy frames? also what is a good IWB holster for either of these guns? thanks
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

VIP Member
    I don't have the compact, but if I remember correctly, it is 5/8" smaller in length.

I carry my P220R in a Supertuck when I conceal it, it has been the best IWB I've ever tried.

Here are the specs on the P220R carry

Item Number 220R3-45-B (contrast) 220R3-45-BSS (SIGLITE® Night Sights)
    Caliber .45ACP
    Action Type DA/SA
    Trigger Pull DA 10.0 lbs
    Trigger Pull SA 4.4 lbs
    Overall Length 7.1 in
    Overall Height 5.5 in
    Overall Width 1.5 in
    Barrel Length 3.9 in
    Sight Radius 5.7 in
    Weight w/Mag 30.4 oz
    Mag Capacity 8 Rounds
    Sights SIGLITE® or Contrast Sights
    Grips Black Polymer Factory Grips
    Frame Finish Black hard anodized
    Slide Finish Nitron®
    Accessory Rail Yes
    Features Full size frame with short slide and 3.9” barrel

Here are the specs on the P220R

Item Number 220R-45-B (contrast) 220R-45-BSS (SIGLITE® Night Sights)
    Caliber .45 ACP
    Action Type DA/SA
    Trigger Pull DA 10.0 lbs
    Trigger Pull SA 4.4 lbs
    Overall Length 7.70 in
    Overall Height 5.50 in
    Overall Width 1.50 in
    Barrel Length 4.40 in
    Sight Radius 6.30 in
    Weight w/ Mag 30.4 oz
    Mag Capacity 8 Rounds
    Sights Contrast, SIGLITE® Night Sights available
    Frame Finish Black Hard Anodized
    Slide Finish Nitron®
    Accessory Rail Yes
    Features Nitron® finish, light-weight alloy frame

Here are the specs on the P220R Compact

Item Number 220COR-45-BSS
    Caliber .45ACP
    Action Type DA/SA
    Trigger Pull DA 10.0 lbs
    Trigger Pull SA 4.4 lbs
    Overall Length 7.10 in
    Overall Height 5.0 in
    Overall Width 1.5 in
    Barrel Length 3.9 in
    Sight Radius 5.7 in
    Weight w/Mag 29.6 oz
    Mag Capacity 6 Rounds
    Sights SIGLITE® Night Sights
    Frame Finish Black hard anodized
    Slide Finish Nitron®
    Accessory Rail Yes
    Options Compact frame with short slide and 3.9” barrel
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I'm surprised no-one else weighed in on this.

Did you ever decide what you wanted?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I have several versions of the P220. I have a standard P220; a P220 SAS (DAK); and a P220 Carry SAS (DAK). I also have a P245, which was the original "P220 Compact".

I have never had any problem carrying the fullsize P220, but since I got the P220 Carry SAS, I find it to be my favorite pistol. Although there is very little difference in size, the Carry seems to balance "just right" for me.

Personally, I prefer the original P245 to the P220 Compact. The addition of the beaver tail seems to serve no purpose and makes it (in my opinion) more difficult to conceal.

Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Listen to Gonzo! The beavertail is an unnecessary piece of flair that Sig has put on what was already a good carry piece, the P245. That said, I like having the mag bottoms of the P220 compact instead of the original mag bottoms of the P245. They provide just a "squish" more room for the pinky and, as a result, much more controllability for follow-up shots.

I also have the P220 Carry -- and this is a wonderful compromise between the full-size P220 and the P245. But, you would need to determine if your daily routine allows you to carry the "Carry" model -- the only real carrying difference with the P245 being the longer grip of the "Carry" model. I carry the "Carry" in a Milt Sparks VMII and the P245 in a High Noon Alter Ego. Both holsters work great for their guns.

Thanks guys I've decided that I'm going to go with the P220 carry SAS model. I like the beveled edges and the fact it has no light rail as I don't care for how they look om this gun.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Thanks guys I've decided that I'm going to go with the P220 carry SAS model. I like the beveled edges and the fact it has no light rail as I don't care for how they look om this gun.

You just described two of the reasons I love mine. And the trigger is the smoothest DAK I have yet to try on a Sig. You will find that it is a good fit in P245 holsters and, believe it or not, P229R holsters. It fits my P229R holsters perfectly, even those that are detail boned.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

I only carry one....the full size P220R SAO. I was actually in the market for another 1911A1 when I stumbled upon this. I think it takes the 1911A1 to the next level myself. Carrying a full size isn't for everyone, and I've been used to all steel before. Having an alloy frame and a stainless slide just seems to make a world of difference to me, and it's the most accurate 45acp I've ever shot. Count Colt, Norinco, and Glock. I couldn't have asked for anything better. If the carry model is a miniature version of the full size, then it's a must have IMO. Personally, I need that certain heft and feel for my best and only 45acp pistol.

I've got a P220R Carry SAO and a P220 Compact SAS.

I tote the Carry size in a Blackhawk CQC leather pancake holster on the weekend (shirt untucked). It would carry the same a full size would in that holster.

During the week, I carry the Compact in a deep concealment shoulder holster (a nylon form fitting shoulder holster that holds the gun under your arm vertically).

The Carry size is too large to carry in my shoulder holster (the butt of the gun prints on my shirt too much - the compact doesn't print at all).

The beavertail on the compact does serve a purpose for me though. When I draw from the shoulder holster, I can't get a perfect grip on the gun. I am able to easily rock it into a perfect positive grip as I draw - the beavertail causes the gun to settle in my hand perfectly, if that makes sense.

The aluminum frame cuts the weight and makes it carry very well. I will say that the compact is just a little off balance with the light, short grip. Not bad, but not perfect. The Carry size balances in my hand perfectly.

Both guns are fantastic. I'd say your choice will be determined by your wardrobe and how you plan on carrying them. You can also add these to full size P220 mags to extend the grip on the compact:
    X-GRIP : Sub-Compact Handgun Magazine Adapters : Product List
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I've been seriously considering getting a P220 Carry Elite Stainless, and shortening the grip (saw and TiG) to accomodate the standard P220 Compact magazines and grip panels. It would also mean taking off the trigger guard hook, the tac rail and a good bit of the beavertail, which I've done on my P220 Elite Stainless. This would be a good bit of work, but would provide the P220 Compact with the SRT trigger and the weight of an all-steel P220. So, all the weight and none of the capacity. :)

Not sure it's worth all that effort to get 2 rounds less in the grip for carry, but I still like the idea. Melonized black with micarta grips, I think it sure would be a unique and useful piece.

“If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

VIP Member
    I've had 'em all and I like the P220R Carry the best!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Ive had the 220R Carry which I loved but got rid of it for a full size 220SAS DAK. A friend of mine has all the compact and carry sas and never takes the compact with him. The carry is a great compromise between the full size and compact. You will not be disappointed.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

I'm in love with my P220 "Carry" SAO. Model number is : 220BR3-45-BSS-SAO

I could have walked out that day with a 220 DA/SA compact, or a fullsize DA/SA two-tone like Ramrod's...I just love the SAO trigger. And I don't mind the beavertail. Now if I can get ahold of some nice new grips. The stock Sig plastic isn't bad by any stretch, but I'd like something in wood. The 220 is one sweet shooting .45 whichever way you go, IMHO.

Edit: Sorry, Ramrod's is a SAO two-tone, not a DA/SA.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Late to this party, but I have a full-sized DA/SA Sig from the 90's, and I trust her more than my wife...

Don't tell her I said that...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Sorry for the late reply, but I agree wholeheartedly with PointnClick. 90's WEST GERMAN full size Sig P220 is arguably the best handgun on the planet. The position can be easily argued. I carried one on duty for nearly 5 years and NEVER EXPERIENCED A SINGLE MALFUNCTION. Not once. No offense, but try that with a 1911.

In the late 90's, I went to another agency that authorized only 9mm's, so I sold it to get money for a West German P226 9mm. I hate to sound cheesy, but not a DAY goes by that I don't think about that P220 and wish I hadn't been so stupid as to sell it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links