Bersa Thunder CC, lack of confidence.

This is a discussion on Bersa Thunder CC, lack of confidence. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have carried a Bersa thunder for almost 5 months and liked it but traded it for a Stoeger Cougar 9, during that time my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bersa Thunder CC, lack of confidence.

I have carried a Bersa thunder for almost 5 months and liked it but traded it for a Stoeger Cougar 9, during that time my wife shot the Bersa thunder enough to get used to it but wanted the CC model since it was a bit smaller, so for Christmas i bought her a Bersa Thunder 380 CC and that's where the issues started.

Wanted to get her comfortable with Conceal and Carry since she travels solo a good bit, thought we had the right gun, first trip to the range after i disassembled it and cleaned it the gun was jamming every 3rd to 4th round, purchased another magazine at the range with some different ammo, same thing.
    She was a bit ticked and i thought she might be limp wristing it so i loaded it up and GOOD GAWD!! on the 4th round this drawbar/ disconnector spring came right through the frame and grip and stabbed me, almost dropped the gun, that spring poked a hole right through the fold of skin between the index finger and thumb, i was livid.
    The guy at the range saw we was having some issues with the gun and he took it over to the smith who said the spring came out of it's groove and used the needle nose pliers to set it back in place.
    As reserved as i was about shooting it again we put another 28 rounds through it and called it quits, problem solved.

2 weeks later we are back at the range and this thing jams again halfway through the first mag except once the jam was cleared the trigger was dead, it has a magazine safety so i empty the mag put the empty mag in and the trigger is still limp, long story short the spring had once again came off the groove and got wedged behind the drawbar/disconnector.
    Enough was enough at this point and i took it back to the dealer i bought it from to find out what the process was for returning this thing to be repaired. Instead of shipping it to the closest authorized repair center i drove it there instead so i could actually get some face to face with someone who might be less inclined to bs me over the phone.
    This gun smith tells me that it will be roughly 8 weeks for repairs and that the CC models of the bersa thunder had some issues and he wasn't too surprised to hear about this one.
    Rather frustrated at this point because now i have a firearm that was purchased for protection that makes a better paperweight than a pistol and now the wife doesn't want it, said she won't carry it and it's not something i honestly would carry either after having the issues we have had.
    We are both rather new to the conceal and carry world so here's where i am going to ask some advice of anyone who has possibly had a similar issue. She doesn't care much for revolvers, my SW 38 special with 2" barrell has too much recoil for her and any pistol i get her has to have a thumb safety. I want to push her towards the revolver simply for the reliability aspect and i have to find a way to get her confidence back, that spring stabbing me rather discouraged her from even wanting to pick it up again. I'm not certain wether i want to find a smaller caliber revolver? or maybe try another pistol?
    any input would be greatly appreciated.

My wife and I both have Bersa .380 CC's and love them. No problems what-so-ever. You might want to go :: Bersa Talk :: • Index page

Once you go to Bersatalk, check out the "Tech Talk" section and ask Royce what he thinks. Royce does warranty work on Bersa's. He might have you send it to his shop in Colorado for warranty repair.

Dont give up on the Bersa, send it to Colarado Gun Works and when it comes back you will love it,if not call me and ill take it off your hands.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

I removed my magazine safety. I do not regard it as a safety feature, why would I want yet another way to disable my gun? I removed it before it's first range trip.

The gun has been a real gem. It's compact, snag free, elegant in design and hides away easily on the hip. The inward curved stocks are perfect for female belt carry as the curved grip prevents any 'point' from jamming up into their side. IMHO there is no semi-auto better designed for female carry than the Bersa Thunder CC.

People buy cheap 1911's all the time, with the assumption that the money they save on the initial cost will alllow them to give it to Cylinder & Slide for a reliability overhaul. I bet a place like that could do wonders with your Bersa, and since they only cost (around here) $ 285.00 it seems worth it.

My opinion only.

If you want to reduce the Thunder to a "Gee Whiz" gun and buy her a J Frame or a Walther PPS, who could criticize that? There are many excellent choices out there. But, [at the risk of getting banned] get rid of the mag safety because if the grips shift or come loose your gun will fail and when those parts come loose they do fall out as you have already noted. They fit together like a puzzle, they are not 'pinned' or anything.

Can't say I blame your wife for not wanting to pick up the Bersa again after the disconnector failure you described. I've had issues with my own Bersa Thunder 380 - not as extreme as the spring breaking my skin, but it has slipped out of its notch several times, rendering the gun useless until the grip panel is removed and the spring reseated.

The suggestion to talk to Royce either by phone or via the Bersa Talk forum is a good one; I've spoken to one of the guys in CO over the phone about my issues and they seemed capable of repairing my issues. I opted not to send my pistol in, as my confidence in it is lost and the cost of the shipping fees would only yield me a small range gun that digests hard-to-find/expensive ammo.

I'm sure others will post about how their Bersas haven't had any issues, are good pistols for the money spent, etc, ad nauseam - but, with all due respect, it is still an inferior gun when compared to offerings from the major manufacturers. Just as an example, the rear of the slide lock notch on my Thunder 380s' slide is so worn that unless there is a mag in it, the slide lock will disengage on its own with VERY little force applied ANYWHERE on the gun. In fact, the last time I cleaned it, it was sitting on the table with the slide locked back - that is until it closed by itself suddenly without even touching it - scared the crap out of me. This is on a gun with about 600 rounds through it and limited use of the slide lock lever to lower the slide - unlike my Kahr PM9, which during its first 1000 rounds, the slide lock lever was used almost exclusively and without any detrimental effect on the slide lock notch.
    Glock 19, 26 & 36 | Kahr K9 & PM9 | S&W M&P9c, 642 & 640 | Ruger LCP

Uh-oh. I've got the Bersa Thunder, a more fun and comfortable gun than my little Ruger LCP. No problems yet but I do not shoot it enough. I had a brand-new FNP-9 jam like a Galesi until I shot a box of bullets through it. I still don't trust it.

Don't trust what you read on the Bersa forum. They have a tendency to delete posts that bash the Bersa product line. Free speech does not apply there.

Last year I WAS going to get a Bersa but was talked out of it by two of my friends. This is similar to other troubles I have heard. QA problems?

Hey Lance22,

Do you mind posting a step by step on how to remove the mag safety, or give me link, etc?

I have a Bersa .380CC and after the "safety" disconnect broke on me, I won't carry this thing as a CC weapon. Just a safe queen and range gun for newbies.

I'll have this photo up for only a week. Modifying a firearm in any way is ill advised and will void warranty. You should not do this and the following photo is for theoretical knowledge only.

Also, in theory, if you did this you would place the magazine safety and it's little attacher thing into a zip lock bag so that if you needed to have somebody who knows what they are doing (or an authorized Bersa 'smith) you could ship it fully intact exactly the way it left the factory.

My buddy bought a Bersa Thunder 380 used and had the same problem. He had taken it apart to clean it and a spring came out of its notch. It jammed and wouldn't fire, the trigger would be limp and upon a double cluthc would fire. Another buddy of ours who is very mechanically inclined (and owns many firearms and does most of his own work on them) took it apart and fixed it in minutes. It's been flawless ever since. They are very nice weapons, but you have to be very careful when taking them apart or things can get out of whack.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Hey Lance22,

Thanks for the info. It will give me something to do this weekend. I really hate how some manufacturers insist on adding "safeties" to guns these days that can end up rendering the gun useless if they break. Again, thank you for taking the time to show me how to correct the problem.

Just a suggestion about removing the mag disconnect safety.....

I wouldn't carry a firearm for self defense that had any safety device disconnected,..... not because it renders the firearm "unsafe", but I just wouldn't want that to become an "issue" in court if I ever had to use that firearm in a self defense situation.
    I would disconnect the mag safety and use it for a range gun or sell it and get a gun that works for you.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I have not owned or shot Bersa only heard that the 380 is a walther knock off and the firestorm 1911's arn't all that good. (just what I have heard)

BTDT...once a firearm fails on you, especially if it is repeated, it is very difficult to trust it again.

If you decide you want something else, there are lots of choices out there. You mentioned wanting a thumb safety. The S&W M&P can be bought with one. So can the Ruger SR9 and SR9c - they come standard with a thumb safety.

Not sure why you want that thumb safety, but if you decide you don't really need one (and you don't ) I would suggest an XD or a Glock. You just don't get more reliable than those pistols.

Sigs are also great - but more expensive.

Good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links