Smith and Wesson M&P Compact 9mm

This is a discussion on Smith and Wesson M&P Compact 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm getting more comfortable with the fact that my gun doesn't have to be 100% unable to be seen, in order for me to wear ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smith and Wesson M&P Compact 9mm

Smith and Wesson M&P Compact 9mm

I'm getting more comfortable with the fact that my gun doesn't have to be 100% unable to be seen, in order for me to wear it. The largest carry gun I have is the Kahr PM9 and would like to carry more rounds. I was looking into getting a Glock 26, but after handling one at the store this weekend that quickly went out the window. It just simply doesn't feel right in my hand. I handled and like the S&W M&P 9mm Compact, and hope that I will be able to conceal this weapon even in the weather in Florida (5'9 / 160lbs, and I don't wear big t-shirts). It does seem a bit bulky, but after seeing what all of you carry under a simple t-shirt, I must give it a try and am hoping I get comfortable.

I'm looking for opinions on tM&P compact. Not a Glock VS S&W discussion, but just information from those of you who are familiar with this gun, both good and bad. I am thinking of going back and getting it this weekend, and would like some more info from real people.

Thanks
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

I bought my daughter one and she loves it,I have a 45 compact that my wife loves to shoot and when she gets her CHL will very likely be her carry gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    They are great! Go forth and prosper!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I had a 9c, and liked it. I let mine go, as it wasn't THAT much smaller than my XD45c. I especially liked that just a quick buff of the sear and striker, and the trigger was extremely smooth.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Claybreaker, something your gun shop may not know is that the magazine from a full size M&P 9mm will fit in the compact version, and there is an adapter sleeve you can purchase to fill the dead space between the bottom of the grip and the heel plate of the magazine.
    Dad has both versions and at the range he can use the magazine from both and spend less time reloading the magazine.
    Also if you find the grip too short with the magazine with the flat bottom, Smith and Wesson will send you the extended version if you call and ask.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I have the 9FS that I've been CC-ing and love it. Not a hickup yet. I've been drooling over the 9c though.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I think this video will help... I know that you said not a Glock Vs. M&P thing but you will NOT be disappointed with M&P.. I have 1200+rounds through mine without a problem.. very nice comfort wise and My father conceals his M&P9c very easily check out these links...
    YouTube - Smith and Wesson M&P40 Part 1
    YouTube - Smith and Wesson M&P40 Part 2
    YouTube - Baby Glock vs. M&P 9c
    I was like you and didn't like the feel of the Glock, the M&P was a part of my hand.. Ambex slide release, reversible mag catch.. etc... just watch the links good luck.. you will love an M&P
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I have a M&p9c and love it. Comp-tac (and others) make some great concealment holsters. Great shooting gun. The trigger started out okay, but has smoothed out nicely.

FWIW, I also have a Glock 26 -- also really like it!

a buddy of mine bought a M&P compact at the same time I bought my XD. Its a very nice weapon, he has had ZERO issues with it after several thousand rounds.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Go for it!!

Bought my first handgun about a month ago, M&P9c. I couldn't be happier. Love the way it feels and shoots. My CWP should be here in a few weeks and I have been carrying around the house. I honestly think this gun is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Claybreaker, something your gun shop may not know is that the magazine from a full size M&P 9mm will fit in the compact version, and there is an adapter sleeve you can purchase to fill the dead space between the bottom of the grip and the heel plate of the magazine.
    Dad has both versions and at the range he can use the magazine from both and spend less time reloading the magazine.
    Also if you find the grip too short with the magazine with the flat bottom, Smith and Wesson will send you the extended version if you call and ask.
    X-GRIP : Sub-Compact Handgun Magazine Adapters : Product List

Mine has been great. My wife at 5'2" 120ish has put a100 or so rounds through it also. Next time out we will equip it with the small grip for her. Although she has not minded the med. one.

A big +1 to what everyone has said. Love my M&P9c. My friend has the exact gun, and neither of us have had any issues at all. Carry the 12rd mag, with 17 for spare. Cannot say enough about this gun!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I am also interested in this pistol. I have been told that the M & P 9c is available with a manual thumb safety, also. Anyone ever see one ?

Senior Moderator
    I've carried the 9c on and off in alternation with some of my other guns.

I was one of the few who had the the magazine release problem. In some early guns, the magazine catch material was too soft, and it rounded out over time, causing the mag to drop under recoil. S&W sent me a couple replacement catches, and it's never been a problem since.

Other than that, mine has been completely reliable. It is more than accurate enough for it's intended purpose, and handles well.

I'd recommend it highly.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links