love my gun but need a small carry option

This is a discussion on love my gun but need a small carry option within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok enough said I love my sigma 40 sw it is great I shoot it well and I love the amount of fire power it ...

Thread: love my gun but need a small carry option

love my gun but need a small carry option

ok enough said I love my sigma 40 sw it is great I shoot it well and I love the amount of fire power it offers and reliability. but honestly it is a bit too big for my 5 8' frame to conceal comfortably without my worrying of printing. And I haven't had a day yet were the gun was just forgot on my body because it was so comfortable to carry. I am seriously in the market to buy a nice new 9mm small frame shooter. I am looking to pay no more than 400 flat thats it. not that I can't afford more but my honest opinion is that if you can't find a reliable pistol for that much then there is no reason to own a pistol for the common man. I thought a bout a bersa thunder 380, a kel-tec pf9, and a taurus millennium pro pt111, and lastly khar pm9. okay so enough said I also had a unique experience at a gun shop today where the guy that was talking to me about loading was just talking all this crap about how he loads and knows so much. then I proceed to ask him how long has he been doing it and he quietly answers 2 years I scoff. his knowledge lead him to believe like most idiots that there is no market for the 380 and that the load data states that it doesn't transfer enough energy. I say okay that may be true at a certain distance but honestly come into my house when it is dark at night "break in" and then let me get my 380 ready and I will proceed to empty a clip on you what will you do. he gets even more quiet. I say enough said if you are smart enough to know that you don't want to get shot with it in close quarters then it has enough stopping power. and honestly no normal person when being shot at is going to think about "hmmm is that a 380 or .45 i am being shot at with" people see or hear gun they panic no matter what their determination or motif is point said. beside all the gun store fools want to say crap like that, how they know so much but honestly I am tired of people behind the counter giving information on stuff they don't actually know nor do they have the data to prove their theory. honestly just because you work at a gun shop doesn't make you the be all end all on gun knowledge someone is always going to know more and if you don't know the definitive answer please stop flinging opinions out there on a whim. back to the story another guy says I carry a .45 everyday and it is always concealed and I can do it in nothing but t shirt and shorts. I say great energy transfer but what about the people behind the guy you shoot? anyways back to my point help me pick one of these pistols with details on why i should buy it as they are all smaller than my current .40 sw any of them will be a great change. also a gun shop here wants to charge me 360 for the pf9 and another had one brand new 4 weeks ago for 249 before tax however they are out now so my question is, is $360 too much for a kel tec?

2. Remove Ads

Im looking for a Ruger SR9C. Have you considered it?
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I paid $269 for a PF9 8months ago and it has been 100% for me.

Found I needed a smaller carry for deep conceal and paid $249 for a Kel Tec P3AT and it has been 100% also.

As to 380 colt navy 36 had the same power as 380 and it was known as a very effective man stopper.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    I paid $269 for a PF9 8months ago and it has been 100% for me.

Found I needed a smaller carry for deep conceal and paid $249 for a Kel Tec P3AT and it has been 100% also.

As to 380 colt navy 36 had the same power as 380 and it was known as a very effective man stopper.
    Thats some good deals on those guns. They are running well over $300.00 in my area.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by fatblakcat View Post
    ok enough said I love my sigma 40 sw it is great I shoot it well and I love the amount of fire power it offers and reliability. but honestly it is a bit too big for my 5 8' frame to conceal comfortably without my worrying of printing. And I haven't had a day yet were the gun was just forgot on my body because it was so comfortable to carry. I am seriously in the market to buy a nice new 9mm small frame shooter. I am looking to pay no more than 400 flat thats it. not that I can't afford more but my honest opinion is that if you can't find a reliable pistol for that much then there is no reason to own a pistol for the common man. I thought a bout a bersa thunder 380, a kel-tec pf9, and a taurus millennium pro pt111, and lastly khar pm9. okay so enough said I also had a unique experience at a gun shop today where the guy that was talking to me about loading was just talking all this crap about how he loads and knows so much. then I proceed to ask him how long has he been doing it and he quietly answers 2 years I scoff. his knowledge lead him to believe like most idiots that there is no market for the 380 and that the load data states that it doesn't transfer enough energy. I say okay that may be true at a certain distance but honestly come into my house when it is dark at night "break in" and then let me get my 380 ready and I will proceed to empty a clip on you what will you do. he gets even more quiet. I say enough said if you are smart enough to know that you don't want to get shot with it in close quarters then it has enough stopping power. and honestly no normal person when being shot at is going to think about "hmmm is that a 380 or .45 i am being shot at with" people see or hear gun they panic no matter what their determination or motif is point said. beside all the gun store fools want to say crap like that, how they know so much but honestly I am tired of people behind the counter giving information on stuff they don't actually know nor do they have the data to prove their theory. honestly just because you work at a gun shop doesn't make you the be all end all on gun knowledge someone is always going to know more and if you don't know the definitive answer please stop flinging opinions out there on a whim. back to the story another guy says I carry a .45 everyday and it is always concealed and I can do it in nothing but t shirt and shorts. I say great energy transfer but what about the people behind the guy you shoot? anyways back to my point help me pick one of these pistols with details on why i should buy it as they are all smaller than my current .40 sw any of them will be a great change. also a gun shop here wants to charge me 360 for the pf9 and another had one brand new 4 weeks ago for 249 before tax however they are out now so my question is, is $360 too much for a kel tec?
    Wow...that is one long paragraph!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Kel-Tec seems to be a good choice. The PF-9 will conceal very nicely being a single stack 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by fatblakcat View Post
    The answer to your question is yes $360 is too much to pay for The Kel-Tec. Especially considering you have another local shop that sells them for over $100+ less. If you can wait till the other shop gets them back in I would wait.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Sounds like the perfect situation for a snubnose 38.

Try the Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm. Very comfortable to carry and shoot for $350 - $370.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    one of my carry guns is a pt111...it has several thousand down the pipe without a failure...is easy to conceal and has a good capacity...12+1....reasonably priced and dependable in my experience...

the kel tec is an uncomfortable gun to shoot if you plan on any appreciable range time...but for an sd firearm it is easily concealed and lightweight...the p11 has a bit of a wider grip and higher capacity...thats another option...

you arent going to get near a kahr...unless it was recovered from a fire...for the amount you are looking to spend...

The PF9 is a great little gun BUT they can be had for $250 around here. Several on Gunbroker for sub $300 as well. CDNN had them for $239 but may be out now.

New Member Array Willfully Armed's Avatar
    .380 is a viable option. Buffalo Bore makes it a hot little ticket.

I used to have the Bersa, loved it. Got broke, and sold it for $250, which is what i bought it at.

Just got my Sig P238 with nite sites. Love it too.

For $400 or less-

Bersa Thunder, Taurus 85, SMith 442, Taurus 24/7c9.....

I do not like Keltecs.
    WWW.MIDWESTGUNTRADER.COM (its free!)

IDPA sharpshooter SSP, NRA member. jackass

Links