Sig p220 Carry SAO or SAS Gen 2?

This is a discussion on Sig p220 Carry SAO or SAS Gen 2? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went with the P220 Carry SAS. I had carried a Bobtailed S&W Commander and then a Colt New Agent. I wanted to get away ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sig p220 Carry SAO or SAS Gen 2?

I went with the P220 Carry SAS. I had carried a Bobtailed S&W Commander and then a Colt New Agent. I wanted to get away from SAO carry but liked a Commander sized gun, so I went with this. I like the mild melt and the absence of a rail on the SAS model.

Here it is still wet out of the box:

Last edited by ccwguy; April 27th, 2011 at 07:43 PM.

2. Remove Ads

220 Compact

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo Boy View Post
    I've been struggling with the practicality of P220 as a carry gun, but my only experience is with the full-size P220 stainless. I actually don't mind the weight, and bought the stainless model specifically for that reason. But, as a concealable I just can't imagine it working that well.

The Carry model is only a 1/2" shorter, and it's hard for me to see how that would help. OTOH, I am seriously considering taking a P220 Carry Elite Stainless and shortening the grip to accept the 6-rnd magazines from the P220 Compact.

But...I've grown to enjoy the DA/SA with SRT, and after putting 14 hours of hand work into it it now feels like a trigger to me. So, for me, I'd stick with that as my carry setup also--the big reason for not just buying a P220 Compact.

As for beavertail, can't say I 'get it'; but, I shortened mine (on the P220 Elite Stainless) and by nearly 0.2". I like it more better. Not everyone would go for this...

Yes, that TT holster is enough to make a fella go out an buy something just to put in it. Very, very sweet.
    The picture of your beavertail looks very nice. Much better to me than stock. I've struggled with the 220, as I collect SIGs and I've had several 220's and a 245. I have a regular 220 right now, but I'm considering buying a 220 Compact SAS. I have a 229 SAS and I love the 'melt' treatment. If it were up to me, all of my SIGs would have the 'melt', except possibly my X5. For anyone considering an out of the box competition gun, you might want to try an X5. They are works of art, and they function very well. I do wish I had the nerve to shorten the beavertails on a couple of my 1911's, but I leave that sort of work to professionals. I learned long ago that I'm no gunsmith.

As far as someone wanting to shorten the grip to accept the shorter mags, I have a C3, but I find that I have much more control and shoot better with my STX or even the GSR, all due to better gun control. For me the shorter grip just doesn't give me the control I need.

i prefer the DA/SA setup for a SD gun. i have four Sigs with that trigger system.

i also have a 220 Super Match SAO, which shoots beautifully, but i wouldn't carry it unless there were very special circumstances, because my other carry guns are DA/SA Sigs, DA S&W revolvers, or a DAO Kahr. none has a manual safety.

if i habitually carried a 1911, i'd be more willing to carry an SAO Sig.

i've never had a problem with my Sigs not being SAS. and i consider the manual safety on the Super Match as easy, or easier to operate, as the one on my Kimber Gold Match.

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmon View Post
    I have a P220 SAO and have a friend with a 229 SAS DAK and a Kimber Ultra. This is just my opinion, but the Sigs are not good ccw pieces. They are great ultra reliable duty guns suitable for holster carry. What I have learned is when it comes to ccw, thin is in! The Kimber might not be as reliable, but I'd much rather lug it around than either Sig. If I had to choose between the 220 SAO and the 229 SAS, I'd take the 220 hands down. One nice feature of the SAO is you can rack the slide with safety on...and it's thinner. IMO, the best Sig option for ccw is the P239 DAK in 357 Sig.

I know old post above but since someone dug up the thread anyhow I'll ask. In the above statement as far as not liking one for ccw is it because of thickness, weight, or both??

JD
    Administrator
    Thread is 3 years old, pretty sure the OP decided on his gun by now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links