Sig p220 Carry SAO or SAS Gen 2?

This is a discussion on Sig p220 Carry SAO or SAS Gen 2? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I'm rethinking one of these two for my CCW. Which trigger system do you prefer? I realize that the DA is heavy and long ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig p220 Carry SAO or SAS Gen 2?

Sig p220 Carry SAO or SAS Gen 2?

Hi,

I'm rethinking one of these two for my CCW. Which trigger system do you prefer? I realize that the DA is heavy and long on the SAS Gen 2, but how does the SA compare to the SA on the SAO? Is it difficult to work the thumb safety on the SAO compared to an extended thumb safety on a 1911 for example? Do you think the SAS would make a better concealed weapon because of its melted treatment?

Thanks for your opinions
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

2. Remove Ads

Wow, doesn't anyone have any experience with either model? I am leaning more toward the SAS Gen 2 though. Thanks
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

VIP Member
    I carry the SAO and it's no problem at all operating the safety.
    I also carry 1911's so it's very natural for me.

In the right holster, carry is NOT a problem!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have a P220 SAO and have a friend with a 229 SAS DAK and a Kimber Ultra. This is just my opinion, but the Sigs are not good ccw pieces. They are great ultra reliable duty guns suitable for holster carry. What I have learned is when it comes to ccw, thin is in! The Kimber might not be as reliable, but I'd much rather lug it around than either Sig. If I had to choose between the 220 SAO and the 229 SAS, I'd take the 220 hands down. One nice feature of the SAO is you can rack the slide with safety on...and it's thinner. IMO, the best Sig option for ccw is the P239 DAK in 357 Sig.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

Love that holster.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

Quote Originally Posted by Warmon View Post
    I have a P220 SAO and have a friend with a 229 SAS DAK and a Kimber Ultra. This is just my opinion, but the Sigs are not good ccw pieces. They are great ultra reliable duty guns suitable for holster carry. What I have learned is when it comes to ccw, thin is in! The Kimber might not be as reliable, but I'd much rather lug it around than either Sig. If I had to choose between the 220 SAO and the 229 SAS, I'd take the 220 hands down. One nice feature of the SAO is you can rack the slide with safety on...and it's thinner. IMO, the best Sig option for ccw is the P239 DAK in 357 Sig.
    Thanks, I'm looking at the P220 SAS not the P229 SAS. I agree with you that the P229 is wider and not as comfortable to conceal as the P220 carry.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

As long as the price is right at the local dealer, I'll be walking out of the store with a 220 SAO Carry tomorrow.

Based solely on research, it seems like the 220 SAO has some type of cult like following. Owners seem to come out and praise their gun. I've gotten basically no feedback from SAS Gen 2 owners and I'm pretty sure that gun outsells the SAO. Hmmmmmmmmmm
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have P220 SAOs for competition. That said, I personally like the notion of the DA/SA setup for carry. Both trigger types can be excellent. It seems as though out-of-the-box triggers on SIGs of all flavors are not as good as they once were---that is, they used to be among the best DA/SA triggers to be had.

The SAO pull is a bit longer and heavier than the SA pull on the DA/SA guns. Generally it is factory tuned to about 5lbs, which I think is great. I love shooting the P220 SAO.

The one thing to consider from a carry point of view is reliability; the gun was designed DA/SA and the SAO fire-control system is a later change. This might mean it is not as inherently reliable as the original. Specifically, if you look at SIG Forum, you'll see a few posts by Bruce Gray (of Grayguns, Inc.---premiere SIG gunsmith) that suggest (if I read him correctly) the internal firing pin safety on the SAO may not be as robust as the DA/SA. That is, the SAO may be slightly more susceptible to inertia discharges.

I'd say you just need to decide whether you want to carry SAO or DA/SA and then get the appropriate gun. Whichever you go with, you wouldn't go wrong by sending your new toy to Grayguns for one of his action packages. I am waiting on getting my third gun back from them...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I carry a P220 Carry SAO on the weekends. During the week, I carry a P220 Compact SAS with the DAK trigger.

I like both of them. The safety on the SAO is easy to work. It's large enough to manipulate, but not so much that it gets in the way. There's a bit of take-up on the trigger, but it breaks like a pane of glass at about 5 pounds.

The DAK trigger on my SAS is one of the best DAO triggers I've handled. It is very smooth, and tuned to the hammer perfectly. There is practically no take-up, and no over-travel. The hammer falls at the end of the trigger pull perfectly.

I really like them both. I carry the DAK in a deep concealment shoulder holster, which is not conducive to manual safeties (I have to draw with an improper grip and rock the gun into a proper grip as I draw it). I carry the SAO in a Blackhawk CQC Leather Pancake holster. I can disengage the safety as I draw the weapon.

I hope that helps you.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I picked up a SAO 220 Carry today...couldn't be happier. Traded in my baby (XD .45 5") and walked out with the Sig for $413. The trigger on the 220 SAO is great, just worked a Tide bottle over good and proper :)

I also really like the beavertail, as I tend to ride a bit high on the grip. Had a buddy's Beretta make a nice little dent in my finger. Anyways, I bought a SAO 220 today, and so far I love it....only has about 30-40 rounds through it, can't wait to hit a range...can only shoot so much in the back yard :)

I've been struggling with the practicality of P220 as a carry gun, but my only experience is with the full-size P220 stainless. I actually don't mind the weight, and bought the stainless model specifically for that reason. But, as a concealable I just can't imagine it working that well.

The Carry model is only a 1/2" shorter, and it's hard for me to see how that would help. OTOH, I am seriously considering taking a P220 Carry Elite Stainless and shortening the grip to accept the 6-rnd magazines from the P220 Compact.

But...I've grown to enjoy the DA/SA with SRT, and after putting 14 hours of hand work into it it now feels like a trigger to me. So, for me, I'd stick with that as my carry setup also--the big reason for not just buying a P220 Compact.

As for beavertail, can't say I 'get it'; but, I shortened mine (on the P220 Elite Stainless) and by nearly 0.2". I like it more better. Not everyone would go for this...

Yes, that TT holster is enough to make a fella go out an buy something just to put in it. Very, very sweet.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

I love the Sig p220. It is the full size and it is easily concelable with the Crossbreed super tuck that I just received today
    Sig P220R .45ACP
    Taurus PT92 9mm
    Rem 870 12ga.
    Bushmaster M-4 .223/5.56
    HK P2000 9mm
    Glock 31 .357

I CC a P220 full size (Gen 1 SAS) nearly every day without an issue in a t-shirt and jeans (when its warm out). With the Crossbreed supertuck and a good belt anything is possible.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Thumper, where did you purchase your holster?

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

Hi Thumper,

I just bought a Sig P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 and my favorite holster maker, Woolfe Gunleather, does not have access to an SAS to make a holster for me. I want a high quality holster for my new gun and your holster is just beautiful. Where did you buy it and would it fit the SAS?

Thanks,
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links