Tell me about your CW9

Tell me about your CW9

This is a discussion on Tell me about your CW9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, For those who own and carry a Kahr CW9, tell me what you think. I have fired a PM9, and while I found ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tell me about your CW9

Hi all,

For those who own and carry a Kahr CW9, tell me what you think. I have fired a PM9, and while I found the gun to be very accurate, it was a bit small and I didn't like the recoil. The CW9 is a bit bigger and I'm reading good things.

Is it easy to carry? (lightweight, thin, disappears under a shirt, etc.)

How is the recoil?

Any details are helpful.

Thanks.

I've had mine for three years, carry it frequently although it isn't my primary carry gun. I think it's plenty comfortable to shoot, accurate for self defense distances, and handles recoil fine. It's been very easy to carry concealed for me. I carry it OWB under just a t-shirt often. My wife doesn't even notice I'm carrying until she tries to hug me and her hand brushes it. It's too big for pocket carry, but if carried IWB it would be even that much easier to conceal. No problems concealing it at all. I've been very happy with the CW9. I carry 147 gr Federal HST's in it.

I have one that I carry. It's a great gun in my opinion. It's slim, light, and easily concealable. Recoil is also easily manageable.

VIP Member
    I've had mine for about 2 years. It's been great. It's slim, light and you just about forget you're carrying it. The trigger pull is smooth and fairly light... I think it's one of the bargains on the market, you can even get night sights for it, now...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I had a CW9 that was an amazing shooting gun. It was as accurate as any pistol I own. I had problems with mine at first and had to send it in but once fixed, it has proven to be a reliable carry piece. My best friend now owns it and carries it daily. I love the look, feel, size and accuracy of the CW9 and feel that the design is amazing. Kahr designs and builds an amazing gun and hopefully their QC department will catch up to the rest of the company and get a higher percentage of their guns "right" before they leave the factory. Initially swore off Kahr but have since changed my mind. Seeing my old CW9 perform flawlessly since I traded it to my friend has opened my mind a little... Ok, a lot... I just bought a PM40 this week... So far so good.

I have the P9, essentially a fancier LOOKING CW9 + a nicer trigger on the P9. Other than that, they are the same. I am amazed at the lack of recoil on the P9. The size is perfect for me as it is larger than the PM9. With the PM9 my 5th finger hangs off the end and it drives me nuts. The P9/CW9 is just large enough to get a great grip for my medium sized hands. Overall, it's a very pleasant gun to shoot, accurate and I'm thrilled I bought it.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    My CW9 had light strike issues. Other than that it was a nice gun. Why some Kahrs do this and some don't is a mystery. My other four Kahrs didn't have this problem.

the P9, essentially a fancier LOOKING CW9 + a nicer trigger
    FWIW; The P9 and CW9 have the same trigger.

I picked up a used CW9 from a guy last week. Took it to the range yesterday and as expected it functioned flawlessly. Put a 100rnds through it just to make sure everything was cool and am very happy.

I'll be ordering night sights for it very soon and will post up another report on how I like them.

CW9 is a great gun. I absolutely love mine but it has been replaced in my rotation by my Glock 19 (higher capacity). Never had a problem or any malfunctions with it.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I've had mine for about 2 years. It's been great. It's slim, light and you just about forget you're carrying it. The trigger pull is smooth and fairly light... I think it's one of the bargains on the market, you can even get night sights for it, now...
    I'll echo what this Gent said and offer my two cents too. I bought one strictly for the price vs quality. I've owned and shot pistols all my life and I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable when it comes pistols. Enough to be dangerous anyway. IMO, The CW series is one heck of a deal on a fine pistol. Minus some of the exterior milling on the slide and missing some small esthetic details, it's basically the exact same pistol as a P9. It has the same elite trigger and all the internal milling is nicely done, just a really nice overall CC pistol.

For the last couple of weeks I've parked my G26 in the safe and given the LCP to my wife as her house pistol. Since I converted it to a covert model a few weeks ago, I have found a renewed love for carrying this little powerhouse. I'm pretty much just carrying my CW9 covert as my EDC and feel I'm well defended in the event the poop starts flying. Some have had troubles with the Kahr pistols but I can only speak for my own experiences, and I'm very pleased with the $400 and change I spent on my CW9. Would I buy another, absolutely and in a minute. I'm pretty sure that a PM9 is in my near future for that matter, but I would pounce on a CW/PM9 hybrid.

For CC the thickness is perfect comparatively to my glocks even my G36. It will handle +p rounds, and is very accurate even without the higher end barrel. The trigger really is one of the finer ones I've ever shot on a stock pistol, and the recoil is absorbed pretty well. Not punishing at all to practice with. The low bore axis helps control the muzzle flip and follow up shots are easy to put on target. Anyway, if you're thinking about getting one, I don't think you'll be disappointed. FWIW

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I'm considering a CW9 but I don't know much about Kahr other than they seem to be fairly reliable.

What is the warranty situation with Kahr? If i have a problem is it on my dime or is it warrantied?

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkel View Post
    I'm considering a CW9 but I don't know much about Kahr other than they seem to be fairly reliable.

What is the warranty situation with Kahr? If i have a problem is it on my dime or is it warrantied?
    My first experience with their Customer Service was sub-par. I sent my CW9 in with light strikes and they sent it back with a list of things they repaired. I was happy with the quick turn-around and the long list of items they replaced. When I took it to the gun club the next day the first shot went "click"..... same problem as before. I tried several ammo brands from various people in the class and experienced this with all brands. Sent it back again and they returned it 3 weeks later with a note saying "No trouble found". That severely pissed me off so I called their sales department and got them to transfer me to the Director of customer service. He was fantastic and took great care of me from that point. he sent FEdEx to the house 2 hours later and had my gun back to me 48 hours later. The gun has been perfect since...

Fast forward 1 year... I just picked up a PM40. I called PM40, I called customer service to inquire about the gun and any issues to watch for. The guy answered on the 2nd ring and was extremely helpful. He is sending me a new recoil spring and offered advice for shooting the small .40cal.

I took my PM to the range yesterday and was very impressed with the accuracy and 100% reliability through 100 Federal 180gr target loads.

Kahrs problems are more about standard QC then they are about gun design. They make a quality product they just let too many out the door that should have been caught and fixed before being sold. In my experience if you get a good one, you should be good to go from then on.

Mine has been great. Really thin and light, does exactly what it's supposed to do. Don't carry it much as I am on a revolver kick, but it's been great.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Had my CW9 for about 2 years now. Just completed over 5000 rounds. After the first 300 rounds have had NO problems with it. It carries so well you almost forget you have it on. I put Crimson Trace laser on it and now I like it even more. I am really a 1911 fan with a couple expensive Wilsons. I really wondered if I would like this gun but it has grown on me and because of its size and accuracy I find myself carrying it more and more.

If deep cover is the goal the CW9 may be at the top of the list. I carried mine IWB in a Don Hume holster. The gun is so light you can forget is down there. I have since switched to full size carry guns. They are not light or easy to carry but I've decided lots of firepower is more important than comfort. I have on occasion used the Kahr as a back up.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links