S&W 340PD titanium cylinder issues? - Page 2

S&W 340PD titanium cylinder issues?

This is a discussion on S&W 340PD titanium cylinder issues? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ChuckAZ I have had mine for a few months now.. Shoot the short barrel .357 loads from speer as my SD load ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W 340PD titanium cylinder issues?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckAZ View Post
    I have had mine for a few months now.. Shoot the short barrel .357 loads from speer as my SD load (They are like 38++P loads not bad at all).. Practice with 38's and full load .357's not bad with the full CT grips..

But I have been having some issues. The shells fall out fine with 38's and my defensive .357 loads.. but when I shoot full .357's loads the shells are stuck in the cylinder. I push the rod and they come out 1/2 way but still are stuck and I have to pull them out with my hand. Anyone else have this issue? I am thinking possibly the heat is expanding the titanium cylinder and when it goes boom the brass is expanding and getting stuck? Or is my cylinder out of spec?
    The stubby extractor rod doesn't have the length to push the .357 shells out. If you want a complete extraction you will need to twak the rod hard to pop the shells out. At the range I just pull the shells out. I have practiced panic reloads at the range and the shells will extract completely.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    Ahhh... the .357 isn't that bad! lol!
    Let me remind you that the gun weighs 12 oz....oofah! I mean ouch!
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

I bought my 340PD back in 2001 and have carried it more often than any of my other guns. It's easy to just tote it around in my pocket....in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. It's a pocket gun I can carry with confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I love the feather weights... people shoot em once and sell em to ya half price LOL
    :) No doubt! I ran across one recently, but I just couldn't see myself practicing with it enough to carry it. In retrospect, practice with .38's probably would've made me proficient with it... but I usually try to do a lot of practice with loads as hot as what I carry.

Still don't know if I could bring the featherweight back on target quickly enough for comfort.

I sent my cylinder away to have it cut to accomodate 'moon clips'. That makes for a very quick reload.
    It has become my constant companion in the summer months. Due to it's lightweight and small size, its much more comfortable to carry when it's hot and muggy, than my .45 Auto.
    Recoil?? Yes --- it does 'buck' a bit but not so much that it can't be handled. As someone pointed out earlier -------- it's not a range pistol -- it's to save your life!!!
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I have the M&P version and its only 2 oz heavier. Has a steel cylinder. Look at it.
    I heartily second this recommendation. The Ti cylinder saves maybe 3 ounces yet creates all sorts of concerns... recoil, ammo selection, and cleaning chemicals. The M+P removes all those concerns.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Oh --- I might add that the pistol comes with Hogue 'Bantam' grips. They're really nice for concealibility. If the recoil really bothers you with those grips, try a Hogue 'Monogrip'. It's larger and softer. If you have big hands you'll probably like it a lot!
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I heartily second this recommendation. The Ti cylinder saves maybe 3 ounces yet creates all sorts of concerns... recoil, ammo selection, and cleaning chemicals. The M+P removes all those concerns.
    hate to say but even the M&P would have huge recoil and the ammo selection problem. Both can take all standard cleaning solvents and oils. They just tell you not to use abrasives like sand paper and scotch brite pads on the Ti.

Big concern with .357 magnum ammo selection on the J frames are the fact that recoil can be severe enough to back out the bullets on unfired cartridges. This could lead to jamming. This will be a problem on all fetherweight .357 snubbs. By checking brands you can see how well they crimp their bullets by firing a few rounds and check to see if the bullets are backing out. after you find a good bullet...stick with it. I use 125gr hornaday FTX it passes the tests. Using the same ammo that ruins the Ti cylinder can still cause erosion even if your cylinder is steel. Eventually it will start eroding on any cylinder. These are usually the super hot 110 grain .357 loads. Ones that are designed for longer barrels and have no business being in a snub nose (see example pics in above post).

Many people lean toward the M&P because of the lower price not because it has reduced recoil.
    Last edited by razor02097; March 15th, 2010 at 08:29 AM. Reason: spelling
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links